Author Topic: Omelet people, share your recipes.  (Read 3559 times)

Chuck Dye

Omelet people, share your recipes.
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2005, 10:23:29 PM »
This is an hors doeuvre recipe but also makes a killer omelet:

HONGOS EN CHIPOTLES
Mushrooms in Chipotle Sauce

1 pound bite sized mushrooms.  Small buttons or criminis are good.  Larger shrooms can be quartered or coarsely cubed.  Portobellos  are excellent!

1 large onion, sliced.

¼ to ½ cup chopped parsley or cilantro or blend.

1 teaspoon each thyme and oregano.

1 small can chiles chipotles adobados, chopped.  (The SMALLEST, 60gm size!)

1 dry chipotle, chopped.

1 small can tomato sauce.

Salt to taste.

Sauté the onion and mushrooms til barely tender in butter and/or olive oil.  Stir in all other ingredients, simmer til tender.  Serve hot with corn chips and/or cocktail size tortillas.

Time is saved and little lost if the tomato sauce, chilies, thyme, and oregano are blended in a blender.

All quantities are to taste!  More shrooms, onions, and tomato sauce (or added chopped tomatoes) make a milder dip.  More chipotles, hotter.

Made with extra tomatoes (the tomatos acid cools the fire), this is one the best of mushroom omelet fillings!

Blended to a coarse paste or thick liquid, this is also a terrific marinade and basting sauce for chicken and ribs.

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2005, 12:41:14 PM »
Isn't this basic dish Hindu in origin?

You know what I mean!

Ohhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmlet.

shocked

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2005, 08:04:20 AM »
Everything except seafood.
The best omelet I ever had featured crab meat, so it certainly can be done, although I cannot think of another seafood that would be appropriate.

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2005, 08:44:34 AM »
LawDog wrote
No Muss-No Fuss Omelettes
*grin*  Well I'll be, and I thought I was the only one...*grin*.

Works great for camping out...

Now I grew up learning to cook since before ....I was still too short to reach, or see the stovetop. That is the sole purpose of kitchen chairs btw...kids sit on the floor to eat, use chairs stand on to cook...

Chili makes a great filler, especially on a cold wet winter night.

My most "memorable" Omlet...

Camping out on someone's property for a spell. Full run of the joint, helping out when asked - or when not. Minimialist camping if you will.

Eggs from the henhouse,
  Squirrel meat , rabbit, whatever, I was hunting for food. Some Venison and   veggies the farmer/ wife said I  could access and use , like tomatoes, peas, beans.

Sure tasted good cooked in the Hubcap off a Willis Jeep.

I beg to differ on fish in omlets,  Crappie and Bream work just fine...
as does dried apples, apricots, and raisens not bad either...

Chris Rhines

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2005, 01:04:09 PM »
No seafood?  Are you kidding?

The best omelet I've ever had featured two eggs, cream, and smoked salmon.  Simple and delicious.    

- Chris

Justin

• friend
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2005, 07:00:38 PM »
Not really an omlet at all, but for a couple years now I've been making a great little breakfast sandwich vaguely like an egg-mcmuffin.

Take one English Muffin, put it in the toaster and start it.
While English Muffin toasts, get out a coffee mug.  Give it a shot of Pam.
Get an egg, crack it and put it in the coffee mug.  Put in a small amount of milk or cream, and any other ingredients you might like: salsa, cheese, onions, garlic, or whatever else strikes your fancy.  Beat the egg and other ingredients with a fork.  Put the coffee mug containing the egg, etc. into the nuker for between 35-45 seconds.

By about now, the English Muffin should be toasted.  Pull it out, drop it on a plate.  Take the coffee mug out of the microwave.  Now, if all has gone as planned, the scrambled egg will come out of the mug with little effort and be just the right diameter for your English Muffin.

Better, faster, and cheaper than getting an Egg McMuffin from McDonald's drive through.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2005, 01:30:31 AM »
There used to be a reaturant near here that offered seafood omelets but only on Saturday and Sunday. They contained crab meat, lobster, shrimp, scallops, mushrooms onions and tomato. Sounds wierd but MMMMMMM... GOOD!

Speaking of Burritos and omelets. When I was stationed in San Diego there was this little taco stand that looked for all the world like an old Fotomat booth. It was THAT small. Anyhow they had the best burritos anywhere as far as I'm concerned. They had one burrito that contqained "Machaka" which is a Mexican  style omelet kind of thing. I used to eat that stuff like it was going out of style. Anybody got a good Machaka recipe?

Me? I too find omelets to be one of the better ways to dispose of leftovers. Especially steak grilled the night before!

Smiley
Avoid cliches like the plague!