Author Topic: Take this quiz, then be very afraid  (Read 10022 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Take this quiz, then be very afraid
« on: November 30, 2009, 12:33:42 AM »
This is a simple enough quiz: http://pewresearch.org/politicalquiz/quiz/index.php

Take a few minutes to look at the percentages of people who got questions right or wrong. Scary. Very scary.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Take this quiz, then be very afraid
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 12:37:48 AM »
I choked on the number of troops in A-stan. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 12:38:35 AM »
I biffed troops in A-stan and healthcare spending per person, mainly because I think those numbers are cooked.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 12:41:39 AM »
I got everything but the unemployment rate and the DOW Jones average correct. It said unemployment is closer to 10%, but wasn't there an article or something not too long ago that said the employment rate was higher and the .gov was lying?

I have been deliberatly trying to ignore as much of the news as possible. I've got other stuff to worry about and I'm tired of hearing about everything (especially since the overload of the election coverage) and I realize that it all comes down to "We're Boned". The finer details don't really matter as much when you realize what's going to happen in the end...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 12:47:57 AM »
Here's Your Score: You correctly answered 11 out of the 12 possible questions, which means you did better on the quiz than 93% of the general public.

I got the question about our military numbers in Afghanistan wrong. I'm pretty sure we don't have 70,000 US troops over there. That's more than the ISAF. I thought we were still working on trying to double our troops presence there.

Guess I'm wrong on that one.  :'(

Oh yeah! Quite a disturbing trend!

1). 65%
2). 40%
3). 75%
4). 56%
5). 18%
6). 33%
7). 42%
8). 53%
9). 33%
10). 61%
11). 23%
12). 28%
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 12:52:51 AM by Ryan in Maine »

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 01:13:01 AM »

I got all 12 correctly.  I'll be honest, I guessed on a couple.  Though, on the questions I was fuzzy on, it was easy to cut it down to 2 probable guesses.  Apparently 2% of folks get all 12 right.  Ok, I could see the finance committee question throwing folks off, or the current troop levels.  But the rest were pretty friggin easy.

I'll admit, I flinched when I saw the male/female score breakdown.  I'm honestly at a loss to explain it.  The education and age tracks like you'd expect. 

But overall...  Gods, that is depressing.

I got everything but the unemployment rate and the DOW Jones average correct. It said unemployment is closer to 10%, but wasn't there an article or something not too long ago that said the employment rate was higher and the .gov was lying?

Total unemployment is obviously higher than 10%.  "Unemployment" govt statistic only covers a specific aspect of people that are not currently employed.  For example, "discouraged workers" are not included.  I guessed that they meant the official statistics, not a more accurate number.

The govt isn't lying, per se.  Just being very picky about their definition.  If you want to see serious manipulation, look up the CPI.  That's crooked like no tomorrow.  There are a couple private CPI equivalents, all of the best ones are subscription required.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 01:18:06 AM »
Republicans and independents each averaged 5.7 correct answers, compared with five correct among Democrats. Men correctly answered an average of 5.9 of the 12 items; women answered an average of 4.7.

Represent! 

Hey, RevDisk, did anybody ever tell you you're pretty smart for a Democrat?   :P 

(Oh, come on, you gotta laugh at that one, man.)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 02:11:50 AM »
Represent! 

Hey, RevDisk, did anybody ever tell you you're pretty smart for a Democrat?   :P 

(Oh, come on, you gotta laugh at that one, man.)

=D

I get that a lot from both sides.  "For a conservative, you're not a fascist redneck hatemonger."  "For a liberal, you're not a commie, pinko moron."  When you support all of the Bill of Rights, both parties view you as being kinda off in the head.  From my perspective, aside from a few wedge issues, I see few significant differences between either party.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 03:10:46 AM »
I get that a lot from both sides.  "For a conservative, you're not a fascist redneck hatemonger."  "For a liberal, you're not a commie, pinko moron."

I've gotten "even compared to most other Libertarians, you're a heavily armed, raving fanatic."

You'd think a politician would know better than to speak up with that.  Good thing for him that I consider it a compliment, and I think it was sort of meant that way too.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 06:03:42 AM »
I choked on the number of troops in A-stan. 

Me, too.....serves me right for copying off your test paper....  :lol:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 07:14:57 AM »
Here's Your Score: You correctly answered 12 of the 12 possible questions along with approximately 2% of the public. You did better than 98% of the general public.

:D
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 07:28:04 AM »
I got 11 of 12, but truthfully, I accidently checked the wrong box on the health care box; Americans pay more.  I did have to think about it, but I do believe Americans pay less.  That's an easy test if one actually pays attention to daily life.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 07:36:09 AM »
I scored 10/12.  I missed the ones on the troops and the Senate Finance Chairman. 

Chris

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 07:57:29 AM »
I dunno Grampster, I think it depends on one's daily life.  I suspect the lower scores for women has something to do with stay at home moms.  That could only be confirmed though, with age+sex breakdowns.

I got 11.  I clearly recall having seen and heard news segments about a national unemployment rate about 15%, but then I get my news sans sound at the Y and san balance (mostly) on NPR.

(ETA: And yeah, I totally guessed on troop levels.  In terms of knowledge, I scored a ten.)

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 08:07:56 AM »
11/12
I checked 15% for unemployment due tot he fact that there are a lot of people not accounted for by the current government statistic who have simply given up on finding a new job.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 08:27:39 AM »
I got all 12, but guessed on Afghan troop levels . . .

By the way, if you want to get technical, the wording on many of the questions actually indicated a "yes" or "no" answer was called for . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 08:58:26 AM »
:D

At least that durn feriner didn't beat me none!
 :laugh:

Here's Your Score: You correctly answered 12 of the 12 possible questions along with approximately 2% of the public. You did better than 98% of the general public.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Daniel964

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 09:30:40 AM »
I feel like and idiot. I only got 9. I missed numbers 5,6, and 7.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 09:41:57 AM »
Woo hoo!  All 12 questions correct!  That bell curve is sure shifted to the left, though.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 10:01:27 AM »
10 out of 12, and same as Balog. I missed the number of troops in Afghanistan, and I purposely said our health care costs are lower because I know the quiz didn't take taxes charged by other countries into account for overall costs. It's a Pew poll after all...
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 10:45:51 AM »

The Afghan question took a little arithmetic.  I recall, way back when Dems "supported" the effort in a-stan, that the troop level was in the neighborhood of 20-30K and that BHO stuffed 10-15K more over there.  70K seemed most reasonable.

As to some of the other questions of, ah, "questionable" provenance, one has to recall the dofference between "goodfacts" and "truefacts."*  goodfacts are what is reported by gov't and its hangers-on.  Truefacts are usually a bit closer to eh mark.  Unemployment, for example.  Goodfact ~ 10%. Truefact ~ 17% (by gov't's own reckoning prior to WJC changing the methodology)

Even if it is BS, it is helpful to know what the BS "goodfact" answer is.

* Babylon 5 reference.  Yes, there was good scifi before Firefly.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 10:52:12 AM »
I missed the Afganistan one too.

11/12 for me.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Iain

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2009, 10:52:30 AM »
Took a wild stab at Q12, which was the only one I got wrong.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2009, 10:59:38 AM »
Great jobs by Micro and Iain. If these were the equivalent questions for Israel or Great Britain, I'm betting I'd only get half of them right.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2009, 11:00:40 AM »
I realize that it all comes down to "We're Boned". The finer details don't really matter as much when you realize what's going to happen in the end...

Awesome punnery!  Ouch!  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin