Author Topic: Tiger Woods not quite who everyone thought he was...  (Read 8211 times)

fifth_column

• friend
Re: Tiger Woods not quite who everyone thought he was...
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2009, 01:14:03 PM »
A powerful famous rich guy cheats on his supermodel wife. Yawn. Nothing new under the sun.

What is interesting to me is this idea of a "role model." News media, talk show hosts, and a wide range of people somehow believe that just because a guy is rich and famous, somehow he is better or stronger than other men, and therefore should be kept to higher moral standards, for the public good and for the children. Consequently, the guy's private life becomes a matter of public well-being. This entire thought-process is perverse in the extreme.

What really happens is the same media make a bundle of money out of the unhealthy curiosity of large numbers of ordinary people. It is the media that package and turn such men into products they sell. So they build the Tigers into celebrities to make money off of them, and then they also make money when they rip up the built images as well.

I say enough with the unhealthy gossipy curiosity, and with the unreasonable expectations placed on ordinary men of a single extraordinary but ethically-neutral ability.

+1
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2009, 01:15:14 PM »
Yea, I don't get the outrage, or any reason the public should feel betrayed.  Cheating is pretty common in 'normal' people, to say nothing of famous, rich, powerful, good looking people.  I think I agree with one of the posters here: Why do these people get married when they are young?

But I don't get celeb worship in general so what do I know.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2009, 02:28:32 PM »
Why do these people get married when they are young?

That's pretty common in normal people, to say nothing of famous people.  According to Wiki, he was 27 and she was 23.  This is too young to be married?   ???

What is interesting to me is this idea of a "role model." News media, talk show hosts, and a wide range of people somehow believe that just because a guy is rich and famous, somehow he is better or stronger than other men, and therefore should be kept to higher moral standards, for the public good and for the children. Consequently, the guy's private life becomes a matter of public well-being. This entire thought-process is perverse in the extreme.

No, it's mythical.  You're much mistaken on two points.

1.  He's called a role model, because he's very successful and people (for good or ill) want to be like him.  They look to him for inspiration and guidance.  There's nothing necessarily wrong or perverse about that; it's actually a good thing within certain limits.  In a way, he IS better or stronger than other men, in that he is a more talented golfer. 

2.  There is no higher moral standard.  Adultery is looked down upon by most people, regardless who does it, at least in the U.S.  Unless, of course, he's a Democratic president.   :laugh: 

Edit:  I'm talking physical adultery, of course.  A lot of people seem to think that pron and "exotic dance" are OK for married people to view. 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 04:52:04 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2009, 06:41:27 PM »
I'm also very much in love with my gorgeous long-haired metal head who keeps me VERY well satisfied in the bedroom

Can you please not say that again - ever?   =|
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2009, 06:42:29 PM »

Can you please not say that again - ever?   =|

Stop being sex-negative.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2009, 08:22:19 PM »
Thread's veering off into a direction that's not particularly well-suited for our all-ages audience in The Round Table. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"