Author Topic: Question for all you NoVA guys.  (Read 2865 times)

Dannyboy

• friend
Question for all you NoVA guys.
« on: March 13, 2006, 03:37:46 AM »
I have a possible job opportunity at Ft. Meade, MD.  Is it woth it to commute from NoVA, or would biting the bullet and living in MD be the way to go?
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 04:23:49 AM »
Not sure about the commute (any commute longer than 10 miles is likely to take 30 or more minutes on a good day), but the gun laws in MD are oppressive.  Move to Va if you can.  West Va may also be an option.  I work in Mclean, Va and have several cow-orkers that commute from WV.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 04:53:41 AM »
Any regular commute across the top of the beltway, going in either direction, can be absolutely brutal.

A friend of mine lives in Laurel and works in McLean, about 25 miles. When it snows, rains, blows, or the sun shines (no real rhyme or reason to it) the commute can be as long as 5 to 6 hours.

It is not something that I would ever consider.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 05:14:39 AM »
I occasionally go from my office in Centreville VA to Columbia, MD (about 5 miles from Ft. Meade).  Depending on time of day, the trip can take anywhere from 40 minutes to 2+ hours.

Virginia's a much better place to live, but as Mike and Chris have said, the commute to anywhere in the PDRMD can be nonoptimal.  What price do you place on sanity?

And what type of job are you looking at?  My company's hiring in Centreville VA, if you're a software type.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 06:40:16 AM »
I wouldn't think RURAL MD would be any worse on RKBA than rural NJ. The Beltway commute can be a killer. Any chance for an alternate work schedule or telecommuting at the new job?

TC
TC
RT Refugee

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 06:43:26 AM »
Rural Maryland is fine.

Until you take into account all of the state laws that the rurales have to put up with.

"What? It holds more than 0 booletz in a clip? Sorry, it's illegal according to the Lord High Guv'nr."
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 07:36:59 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
Until you take into account all of the state laws that the rurales have to put up with.
This is my problem.  I don't want to switch frying pans.  I'd gladly deal with a commute for the opportunity to buy a friggin FAL.  I was also looking at PA on the MD border.  Doesn't seem any further but I guess it would depend on Baltimore traffic.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 08:03:34 AM »
I'd be inclined to do Pennsylvania before I did Virginia.

The number of true bottle necks you'll face is far fewer.

The bottlenecks on the Virginia/Maryland beltway are legendary.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 10:18:19 AM »
You may say that you won't mind a long commute now, but, trust me, you will given time.
I did the 2-3 hour each way thing for 3 years and it takes a heavy toll on your life. I would leave home at 4:30AM and get back home at 7-8PM every day. Doesn't leave much room for any kind of life. I became a stranger to my family during the week, and weekends were taken up catching up on all of the stuff that didn't get done during the week.
Consider carefully, Sir. Some things are just not worth the cost.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 07:38:45 AM »
Does anybody know how traffic is on 301?  It looks like it wouldn't be too bad.

chaim

• friend
    • http://groups.msn.com/TaurusTalk/_whatsnew.msnw
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 08:14:49 AM »
I live in Columbia MD which is only about 5 miles from Ft. Meade (I'd say about 20% of the town works in a certain part of Ft. Meade).  If you are going to work in the Ft. Meade area I suggest living in MD- either AA county or Columbia MD.

If I want to drive to N. Va it can take me as little as 45min on a Sunday afternoon, but any weekday (and pretty much any time of the day) it will be over an hour and over 2 hours isn't uncommon.  At rush hour it will easily take more than 2 hours (and rush hour is pretty much half the day or more in the DC area).  Also, in addition to time, gas and wear and tear on the car, consider that as expensive as Central MD is, it is generally less expensive to live here than in N.Va.

As for gun laws, MD is bad but if you are coming from NJ we will seem a great improvement.

The bad:
-CCW is near impossible
-To buy a pistol you need to go through an 8 day waiting period and you need to do a state background check in addition to the fed
-If you want an "assault rifle" it is treated like buying a pistol- 8 day waiting period and state background check
-Private sales of "assault weapons" and pistols are just as regulated as dealer sales- you have to go to a state police barracks for the paperwork and you have to enforce the waiting period.
-20 round mag limit- no 30 round AK mags for you, if you buy them here anyway
-The state police have an approved handgun list, if what you want isn't there you can't have it (new guns take a good 6months or more longer to hit MD shelves)
-You better get gas before going to the range, don't go hungry and use the bathroom before you leave- MD transport law is strict and if you so much as stop for gas or a bathroom or go through the McDonalds drive through you are breaking the law.  You can only have guns in your trunk to and from the range with no stops, ammo must be stored seperately (like in the passenger compartment), and for goodness sake don't have loaded mags in your car.
-Every year the legislature tries to ban "assault rifles", but so far they've been failing.
-MD has a built in lock law.  It has been weakened by allowing a certain external lock to count but that adds money to guns without a built in lock (the lock is $15-20) and with a new governor that may change since it was a regulatory and not a legislative change.
-There is a "ballistic fingerprint" law so only guns that the manufacturer provides shell casings with the gun are legal (not-applicable on used guns).  That means certain guns are unavailable simply because the maker doesn't send them out with a shell casing.  Also, it makes online sales of new guns harder because some makers only provide casings to distributors operating in the states that require them (MD and NY).
-We are the home of the headquarters of several national anti-gun groups.  They will never stop trying to make MD a laboratory for their ideas so the fight will never let up.

The good:-
-"Assault rifles" are available, and the HBAR ARs don't count as "assault weapons" so you don't even need a waiting period for those.  Uppers are completely unrestricted so you could get an HBAR AR, buy another upper and essentially have a MD regulated assault rifle without the wait and still be completely legal.
-Full-auto, silencers, short barrels, .50cal, etc. are all MD legal.
-No waiting period on rifles and shotguns (assuming they don't qualify as "assault rifles")
-Only "voluntary registration".  To buy anything state regulated once you are here (handguns and "assault rifles") it will be registered, but any guns you bring into the state when you move won't be subject to registration nor will most rifles and shotguns.  Of course, you are more than welcome to bring any handgun purchased out of state before you lived here, or any long gun, to the local state police barracks to register- don't laugh, I've actually seen a person do that when I was there to get the paperwork to do a private handgun sale.
-Private sales of most long guns are unrestricted.
-No ammo restrictions
-The 20 round mag limit is only on sales, not possession.  You can go to VA or PA and pick up all the 30 rounders you want.
-While the laws are currently bad, and it is certainly an uphill battle, the pro-gun crowd seems to do a little better every year in Annapolis.  I think within a couple years the "ballistic fingerprinting" and built-in lock laws will be gone and the transport restrictions will be a little less draconian.  In a little longer I think the approved handgun list might be abandoned.  In 5-10 years (and maybe quicker if we are lucky) we may even become a shall-issue CCW state.
Come visit my MSN Group: Taurus Talk
http://groups.msn.com/TaurusTalk/_whatsnew.msnw

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 10:15:58 AM »
I really feel sorry for the commute some of you folks have to make. Heck, in an hour I can be in New Mexico, and to Oklahoma in two, or Kansas in four.

Or Colorado in six, or Arizona in seven, or Illinois in fifteen...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Chris Rhines

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 12:52:53 PM »
The weekday commute from Northern VA to Ft. Meade would be 1-1/2 hours each way, minimum.  That's too much of a chunk out of the day for me, but others may differ.

From a shooting perspective, the big problem with NoVA is the lack of places to shoot.  The NRA range is nice but badly overcrowded, Blue Ridge Arsenal is kind of a dump, ditto Clark Brothers.  Bull Run is nice for shotguns, but has no facilities for anything else.  Fairfax Rod and Gun is a seriously snooty private club with a 5-year waiting list.  Northern Maryland is actually much better in terms of available ranges.  

- Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 01:39:55 PM »
You're forgetting the Issac Walton League ranges, Chris.

They're nice.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2006, 01:43:34 PM »
The NRA range is nice but badly overcrowded
The worst has passed and now the crowds aren't as bad.  The longest I've waited in the past 6 months has been half an hour.  That's down from the 1hr+ waits I experienced last summer.

Chris

chaim

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2006, 06:04:23 PM »
Quote from: Dannyboy
Does anybody know how traffic is on 301?  It looks like it wouldn't be too bad.
I forgot all about this question.  Rt 301 in MD is the primary route between DC and Annapolis.  As such, it is a horrible place to be stuck during rush hour.  When traffic moves well it is just like any other major route in a major metro area during rush hour- i.e. no fun but could be worse.  When there is an accident or anything else to slow traffic, well, I hope you don't need to use the bathroom and you better have some books on tape or something.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2006, 03:52:54 AM »
Quote from: chaim
Rt 301 in MD is the primary route between DC and Annapolis.
That doesn't sound too bad.  Coming from VA, I'd be going the opposite direction during rush hour(s).

Thanks for the info, guys.  It's probably gonna be a good long while before I hear anything but it's good to know these things.  Thanks again.

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2006, 04:43:28 AM »
Quote from: Chris Rhines
From a shooting perspective, the big problem with NoVA is the lack of places to shoot.  The NRA range is nice but badly overcrowded, Blue Ridge Arsenal is kind of a dump, ditto Clark Brothers.  Bull Run is nice for shotguns, but has no facilities for anything else.  Fairfax Rod and Gun is a seriously snooty private club with a 5-year waiting list.  Northern Maryland is actually much better in terms of available ranges.  

- Chris
I spent my first 6 months here really annoyed with the lack of ranges.  But once I started going to matches and leagues I met people who told me about clubs.

I've joined the Northern Virginia Gun Club in King George.  Initiation was $100, annual dues are $60 + the club shares that you buy each year.  It has good shotgun facilites and a decent pistol and rifle range.   Good place for undisturbed training.

I also mangaged to join the Quantico Shooting Club.  Affordable, but only a limited number of civilians are let in each year, and the ranges are only open if there is a range officer available.
Experiment with a chemist!

chaim

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2006, 08:21:23 AM »
Quote from: Dannyboy
Quote from: chaim
Rt 301 in MD is the primary route between DC and Annapolis.
That doesn't sound too bad.  Coming from VA, I'd be going the opposite direction during rush hour(s).

Thanks for the info, guys.  It's probably gonna be a good long while before I hear anything but it's good to know these things.  Thanks again.
Well, it is true that the worst of it goes from the Annapolis area towards DC, but don't forget that Annapolis is the state capital.  There are lots of jobs in the Annapolis area, and quite a few in other parts of AA county.  It isn't unusual for people to live in the DC area and commute to Annapolis(especially if one spouse works for the state and one for the feds).  Both directions can get pretty ugly (though usually not at the same time), especially when there is an accident or special event.

one45auto

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2006, 07:48:55 PM »
Chaim speaks the truth. My brother used to live in Crofton and commute to work via 301. He hated it with a passion and finally got so fed up (as did his wife) that he and his family packed up and moved to PA where thier idea of a traffic jam is having three cars ahead of them at a stoplight.
"Love is the delusion that one woman differs from another."

~ H.L. Mencken

"I've never killed a man, but I've read many an obituary with a great deal of satisfaction."

~ Mark Twain