Author Topic: win xp install from a flash drive.....  (Read 953 times)

jdoc

• I don't know!
win xp install from a flash drive.....
« on: August 05, 2009, 11:00:46 PM »
  :| Hello all I have an hp 2133 this model > KR922UT. I have been running ubuntu on it since I got it and like it very much but would like to try xp pro on it just to see how it runs. Any who I was wondering if any one can tell me how to install xp from a flash drive. I for the life of me can't seem to find a thing about it. Google  is of no help and I can't seem to figure it out thanks in advance all.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: win xp install from a flash drive.....
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 01:45:49 AM »
http://www.liliputing.com/2008/04/install-windows-xp-on-mini-note-usb.html

I'm getting ready to wipe Ubuntu off my eeePC sometime soon and will be using this technique.  Haven't tried it yet but I see no reason for it not to work.

I also wonder if you can't just create an ISO of the XP disc and then dd it onto the flash drive.

Also... USB cd/dvd drives are awful cheap nowadays.  Is the headache and hacking worth the $50 you save from doing it the easy way (and you then have a new toy)?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 08:23:23 AM »
USB flash drives are horribly slow, thanks to the USB interface.

I'd suggest getting an IDE/SATA interface card, and then using Industrial Flash or an SSD of some sort.

I've already got two machines here that are running either a CF or DOM drive for pagefile swap, and I've had no hiccups to date.

MTBF has come a long way with respect to solid-state media.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

jdoc

• I don't know!
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 04:16:56 PM »
thanks Azr that is alot more detailed than the ones I was ablt to find. I'll give it a shot tonight and let ya now how it goes.