Author Topic: Winchester Announces New .22 Round  (Read 1300 times)

CSM Kersh

Winchester Announces New .22 Round
« on: February 28, 2011, 09:53:21 AM »

Article is here

Winchester Announces M-22 Rimfire Round for MSRs

February 27, 2011

(GunReports.com) -- Winchester Ammunition continues to invest in its rimfire product line with the development of a new 22 LR round for use in Modern Sporting Rifles (MSR).

New for 2011, this bullet is designed and packaged specifically for use in the growing number of high-capacity MSR 22 LRs. The new M-22 features a 40-grain Plated Lead Round Nose bullet optimized for reliable feeding in high capacity magazines. In addition, the M-22 utilizes non-corrosive priming and clean burning powder that delivers an ultrafast 1255 fps velocity and exceptional accuracy.

“The M-22 is designed for the high capacity MSR and provides a smooth functioning, affordable option with great accuracy,” said Brett Flaugher, vice president of sales and marketing for Winchester Ammunition. “We made the M-22 available exclusively in a 1000-round bulk value pack to meet the demands of our customers at an attractive price point.”

The new M-22 LF Bullet features:

Velocity: 1255 fps
Grains: 40
Bullet Type: Plated Lead Round Nose
Cartridge: 22 LR
Availability: 2011
Sam A. Kersh
NRA Patron
csmkersh@thegunnerslair.com
My Web Page
When Seconds count the police are only minutes away.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
Re: Winchester Announces New .22 Round
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 09:59:01 AM »
Kinda hard to get excited about it.  I mean, Federal Lightning has the same specs, and it only took me 30 seconds to think of that one.  Somebody that shoots a lot of .22LR would probably be able to come up with a bunch of other brands that have similar specs.

*shrug*

Guess I don't see why this is making news today.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 10:04:12 AM »
Seems like many of the .22 round MFG's are making "tactical" .22lr ammo to go with the various AR-15 looking new .22's.  Seems mostly like marketing BS to me.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 11:36:02 AM »
So much of the .22 stuff out there is low recoil impulse and designed for fixed chamber manually operated firearms.

Only a few brands work reliably in semiautomatic arms.

Fed bulk pack at Walmart, for $18/550rds, is the leader in cost/value returns IMO.  Next is a draw between Federal automatch and CCI minimags.

Note that all 3 of those offerings are from Federal/CCI/ATK corporation.

Gig's other offering was Federal Lightning.  Another ATK product.

I'm A-OK with Olin/Winchester getting into the game, making good rimfire ammo with high recoil impulse to operate more reliably in semiauto arms.  The RN bullet and heavier 40gr weight will help with feed reliability and momentum to more consistently knock down rimfire steel plates, than a typical 36gr hollowpoint.

If Olin can sell this for $35/1000rds, they'll be getting my business.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 12:15:24 PM »
I like the nomenclature, though.

Modern Sporting Rifle sounds innocuous compared to "assault rifle"