Author Topic: Win XP network and dedicated firewall  (Read 1138 times)

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
Win XP network and dedicated firewall
« on: November 11, 2006, 12:37:18 PM »

I am trying to build an XP network and have a dedicated firewall. First off all my computers are running XP pro.
For my fire wall I have a Dell Optiplex gx100 @600Mhz running an integrated 3com NIC @ 100 Gigbt going to my DSL Hub/Modem and a generic NIC 100Gigbt to go to the local net. All of the computers are Dell Optiplex Gx110 @900Mhz cept mine which is a HP at 2.4Ghz. All of the computers are talking via the Local net with Printer and file sharing, but I can not consistantly hit the web. I am using a westel Modem for Verizon DSL and I can hit it with my laptop and the firewall but not the rest.

My ultimate goal is to have the firewall running with Bsafe Online firewall/internet protection and AVGfree as antivirus.
I have tried the Network wizard and it does not set something right to hit the web across the intranet. I can get some things like google searches but not searched sites. THR is murderously slow.

Help
Brian
<><
:)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Win XP network and dedicated firewall
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 01:08:56 PM »
Hmm.  Dedicated firewall, try Smoothwall (http://www.smoothwall.org/).  Don't much around with shared internet from a Windwos machine.  Filtering and antivirus go on the client machines.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 01:38:28 PM »
I very, very strongly recommend the use of a router for your home network.  All the new ones talk PPPoE, so they have no problem with DSL.

Which model DSL modem do you have?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 02:26:03 PM »

Are you using the GX as a NAT server too?   

Go with a router.   Most these days can do NAT (or DHCP), basic firewall, etc.

I'm quite literally down the road, if you need any help.

I am trying to build an XP network and have a dedicated firewall. First off all my computers are running XP pro.
For my fire wall I have a Dell Optiplex gx100 @600Mhz running an integrated 3com NIC @ 100 Gigbt going to my DSL Hub/Modem and a generic NIC 100Gigbt to go to the local net. All of the computers are Dell Optiplex Gx110 @900Mhz cept mine which is a HP at 2.4Ghz. All of the computers are talking via the Local net with Printer and file sharing, but I can not consistantly hit the web. I am using a westel Modem for Verizon DSL and I can hit it with my laptop and the firewall but not the rest.

My ultimate goal is to have the firewall running with Bsafe Online firewall/internet protection and AVGfree as antivirus.
I have tried the Network wizard and it does not set something right to hit the web across the intranet. I can get some things like google searches but not searched sites. THR is murderously slow.

Help
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 03:46:28 PM »
I think it is a Westell router/hub
I have some more Netgear 10/100Mbit hubs coming
Brian
<><
:)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 03:57:19 PM »
I think it is a Westell router/hub
I have some more Netgear 10/100Mbit hubs coming

Out of curiousity, why did you go with 10/100's?

Cut the XP 'firewall'.   Go from the DSL router straight to a hub, put software firewalls on the desktops (ditto AVG), and configure the DSL router correctly.  It does have a simplistic firewall built in.

And check your email.   Wink
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.