Author Topic: Win 10 to Win 10  (Read 675 times)

Chester32141

• friend
Win 10 to Win 10
« on: August 21, 2021, 05:51:55 PM »
I currently use 3 computers all running Win 10 with 1 on it's last legs.  I bought a new Dell running Win 10 pro .  Is there a quick and easy way to move the favorites and files from my current machines to the new one ?  If not what should I expect to pay if I have a geek do it ?   My current Dell was purchased used from RadioFreeSeaLab here in early 2016 and is still working well and is used every day, just wanted to get ahead of it's eventual demise.  Also running an Asus purchased here from Zahc in January 2017 ... still works great.  Thanks in advance for any assistance.
 [popcorn]
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

MikeB

• friend
Re: Win 10 to Win 10
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 06:45:52 PM »
I often use this. I think there is a built in tool in Windows 10, but I’ve never used it.

https://www.forensit.com/move-computer.html

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 08:29:14 AM »
I currently use 3 computers all running Win 10 with 1 on it's last legs.  I bought a new Dell running Win 10 pro .  Is there a quick and easy way to move the favorites and files from my current machines to the new one ?  If not what should I expect to pay if I have a geek do it ?   My current Dell was purchased used from RadioFreeSeaLab here in early 2016 and is still working well and is used every day, just wanted to get ahead of it's eventual demise.  Also running an Asus purchased here from Zahc in January 2017 ... still works great.  Thanks in advance for any assistance.
 [popcorn]

Favorites, for what browser?  Firefox, Chrome and Brave have sync features to keep things the same across multiple machines.  Don't know about Edge.

File Explorer and an external drive.  Easy enough to copy them off, drop them in on the new, if you know where they are.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 11:31:53 AM »
Thunderbird also has a utility to copy your address book to a new computer. I assume Outlook can also do this.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 04:34:26 PM »
Thunderbird also has a utility to copy your address book to a new computer. I assume Outlook can also do this.

You can just grab the whole Thunderbird profile and drop it in on a new install.  Outlook, you have to dig for some registry entries to export, I think.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2021, 05:09:12 PM »
Have an Android phone? Use MyPhoneExplorer to sync Thunderbird contacts to your phone. Also good for file transfer and cleanup and synching your calendar up. We use a private, shared Google Calendar.
https://www.fjsoft.at/en/
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 05:22:26 PM by HeroHog »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2021, 05:25:03 PM »
PS: ImportExportTools NG plugin for Thunderbird is a great backup/import/export addition you should have.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2021, 08:07:55 PM »
I was just thinking about this the other day. Why do PCs with windows have such limited PC to PC direct sharing capability?
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2021, 12:33:02 AM »
Remember "Lap Link"?  ;)
MOLON LABE!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 01:02:27 AM »
I was just thinking about this the other day. Why do PCs with windows have such limited PC to PC direct sharing capability?

I don't think they do, it just might be tricky to get the file sharing set up so the PCs can see each other on the network.  (you can also connect them directly using an Ethernet cable to make an ad-hoc network)

I think I would use a USB external HDD to copy the file.  Copy everything in your documents folder and maybe your downloads folder, and anything you put directly on the desktop.  Go into your browser and export your favorites or bookmarks to an HTML file that you can import on the new computer, and copy that to the HDD too.

If you use your browser as a password manager, use its sync function instead of (or in addition to) saving bookmarks to html.
"It's good, though..."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2021, 04:24:36 AM »
I have a USB <--> USB cable just for PC to PC transfers, just like the old LapLink cables we used to make.
MOLON LABE!

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2021, 08:09:51 AM »
Remember "Lap Link"?  ;)

With the multi headed cable, oh yeah.

Was actualy using for a while PCMover (from the same company) for doing migrations for a local company.  Mostly works.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2021, 08:13:46 AM »
I don't think they do, it just might be tricky to get the file sharing set up so the PCs can see each other on the network.  (you can also connect them directly using an Ethernet cable to make an ad-hoc network)

I think I would use a USB external HDD to copy the file.  Copy everything in your documents folder and maybe your downloads folder, and anything you put directly on the desktop.  Go into your browser and export your favorites or bookmarks to an HTML file that you can import on the new computer, and copy that to the HDD too.

Documents, Desktop, Music, Pictures, Video, Downloads.   

(hidden) appdata\local\Google, appdata\roaming\mozilla, for chrome and firefox profiles.  Not sure where thunderbird is.  Run chrome and firefox on the new pc to generate the folder tree, then replace them with the copies from the old pc.  Chrome profile can get pretty big.  Biggest I ever saw was over 2GB.

2nd_to_one

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2021, 01:54:41 PM »
If you have a lot of data or installed programs that you don't want to or can't re-install (no media) you might take a look at EaseUS Todo PCTrans Professional.  I have used it exactly one time to "clone" a computer and it worked well with minimal "tweaking" once the new computer was up and running (fixing some shortcuts, etc).  It is entirely possible that I could have been totally successful if the existing computer that was the source had been "cleaner" i.e. one hard disk, simple configurations.

Regards,

Steve