Author Topic: It's freakin' COLD!  (Read 4334 times)

grislyatoms

• friends
It's freakin' COLD!
« on: January 19, 2008, 07:24:33 AM »
Temps at night are getting down to 10-12 degrees, daytime the highs have only been in the low thirties. I have burned more gas this month than any month I have recorded, ever. Still roughly 2 more weeks to go in this month, too.  Time to break out the electric space heaters.

Global warming? Send some of that around these parts... laugh
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: It's freakin' COLD!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 07:47:56 AM »
Temps at night are getting down to 10-12 degrees, daytime the highs have only been in the low thirties. I have burned more gas this month than any month I have recorded, ever. Still roughly 2 more weeks to go in this month, too.  Time to break out the electric space heaters.

10-12? Pfft. That's not cold.  cheesy

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 08:08:32 AM »
10-12? Pfft. That's not cold. 
Anything under 60 degrees is cold to me, and we are getting down into the 20's here. 
I have started compiling the highs and lows diviation from the average in this area.  From December 1-15 2007,there were 10 days of below average high temps, 3 days above average temps and 2 days that were at average temps.

For lows, December 1-15 there were 13 nights of below average and 2 nights above average temps.

January 2008 has been colder than December 2007.

With weather like this, I am to believe in "Global Warming"?

I just wish I could find all these numbers in one spot, instead of having to find them one at a time.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 08:16:35 AM »
Right now I have fond memories of when it was 10-12 degrees outside.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 08:24:21 AM »
10-12 is jeans, tshirt and snowboard jacket, no big deal. Smiley

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 08:24:32 AM »
Here in OK it's been gettin' down into the high teens, low 20's each morning and barely crackin' freezin during the day. Suppose to last another week or so and then get back to our more normal for this time of year 50 degree highs during the day.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 08:54:35 AM »

You're missing a few negative signs for my area.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 10:47:11 AM »
10-12 is jeans, tshirt and snowboard jacket, no big deal. 
This reminds me of a guy I ran around with in Soux City Iowa in the 50s.  Everybody bundled up and temps in single digits, and this guy was in short sleeve shirts.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 12:20:04 PM »
It's in the teens right now, and tonight wind chills are supposed to be about -20.

The night before last we had a little snow but, with the temps, it was more like ice. I unlocked my car door, got in, then realized I had to scrape the windows.

When I tried to open the car door, the mechanism was frozen. Same with the other doors. I was stuck inside my car. No amount of kicking or slamming my shoulder against the doors would work.

A neighbor was passing by, and I honked my horn. He came over to the car, and I was trying to make gestures that he should try to open the car door. He apparently didn't get it, because he just waved "hi" and went on his way.

Finally I got a rear door open and escaped.

Never happened to me before.

My sister-in-law and her husband have tickets for the Green Bay Packers game tomorrow. $2000 for four tickets, and it's going to be -20. They're nuts.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 12:36:05 PM »
It's in the teens right now, and tonight wind chills are supposed to be about -20.

The night before last we had a little snow but, with the temps, it was more like ice. I unlocked my car door, got in, then realized I had to scrape the windows.

When I tried to open the car door, the mechanism was frozen. Same with the other doors. I was stuck inside my car. No amount of kicking or slamming my shoulder against the doors would work.

A neighbor was passing by, and I honked my horn. He came over to the car, and I was trying to make gestures that he should try to open the car door. He apparently didn't get it, because he just waved "hi" and went on his way.

Finally I got a rear door open and escaped.

Never happened to me before.

My sister-in-law and her husband have tickets for the Green Bay Packers game tomorrow. $2000 for four tickets, and it's going to be -20. They're nuts.

Sounds like it's time to graphite things.

If you suspected the door would open from the outside latch, why didn't you just roll down the window, reach over and open it from the outside? Huh?

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 01:09:38 PM »

Wow, they're more dedicated than smokers!
Quote from: Manedwolf
If you suspected the door would open from the outside latch, why didn't you just roll down the window, reach over and open it from the outside? Huh?

I'm guessing the windows were frozen shut, too.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 01:13:07 PM »
Yup, the windows will freeze shut in their tracks, too.  I tried it last night when coming home from work.  No joy.

The sun came out earlier, and it warmed up to -4 today at my house. Currently, they're reporting temps at Truax Field as -2.

I've been putting paw wax on both of the dogs, the snow at that temp really causes them grief when they walk around in the back yard.   undecided

I turned off the humidifier, but we still have ice accumulating on the inside of all of our thermopane windows.  That's when you know it's really cold outside.  Well, that and watching the oil pressure gauge in the truck stay high, with the temp gauge never getting past 175 degrees.  I felt like I was stirring a vat of peanut butter when shifting the 5-speed. Wink
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 01:25:42 PM »
I've seen -20F this year.  10 is nothing.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 01:31:18 PM »
Okay, y'all win.  grin
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 01:50:10 PM »
Supposed to go into the low teens high singles either tonight or tomorrow night here in Virginia.

The worst will be the winds they're calling for. Wind chills are to be in the low singles or negatives.

Coldest I've ever been in was -32 in Maine right around Christmas 1989.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2008, 01:58:01 PM »
Windchill is going to be -5 tomorrow night here.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2008, 04:46:31 PM »
It was well in the 70s today here.  laugh

Paddy

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2008, 04:49:20 PM »
It was well in the 70s today here.  laugh

Yeah, it's a balmy 55 degrees here on the central coast right now.  Eat your heart out, you fuel oil burning suckahs!!!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2008, 06:03:00 PM »
I heat with natural gas, as do the majority of folks around me.  Fuel oil is too expensive these days.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2008, 06:04:18 PM »
I heat with natural gas, as do the majority of folks around me.  Fuel oil is too expensive these days.

Yes.

Natural gas + good door seal + good multipane vacuum windows =  smiley

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2008, 06:21:31 PM »

Yes.

Natural gas + good door seal + good multipane vacuum windows =  smiley

Wood stove in the basement is cooking too. Furnace hasn't run in several hours and it's nice and toasty inside.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Paddy

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2008, 06:22:30 PM »

That's more better.  We use natural gas here, too.

Snowdog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2008, 02:32:24 AM »
Two words: Wood Stove.

I sat on my tush all year and never go around to having the chimney swept, so now I'm stuck using electric baseboard.  Though it warms fast and evenly, it's not the easiest on the wallet. 
There were plently of sub-10 degree days over the past few years were I didn't regulate the dampers well enough and over-heated the house (close to 2,000 square feet) to the point where we had to crack the windows.  Ah yes, those were the days.... 

A cord would easily be enough to last the winter, usually with plenty left over.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2008, 02:43:40 AM »
I'm just glad I live on the southern end of my state. When I went to college in central Wisconsin, we had a january where it never got above -40 for over a week. Must have been 1992 or 1993. I was on winter break, and pretty much trapped int he house- none of our cars would run and the bars were a 2 mile walk away. After 3 days, I ended up layering up to walk 5 blocks to the gas station to pick up some cigarettes and beer just because I needed a smoke and I was going nuts from being in the house.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2008, 04:58:57 AM »

-20 isn't cold either once you've spent a couple weeks or so at -40 and colder.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.