Author Topic: How goes the V-22 Osprey?  (Read 5317 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
How goes the V-22 Osprey?
« on: October 12, 2008, 10:43:03 PM »
Paging Leatherneck and other knowledgeable parties.......

On another forum I frequent, there is some discussion about the V-22 Osprey's capabilities.  I just read the Wikipedia article, and it looks as if the Osprey is actually deployed in the field now.  So how is it working out? 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: How goes the V-22 Osprey?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 12:27:31 AM »

Overall, not bad. 

The pro's: They're mainly being used for cargo/people moving between bases/FOB's.  They've done a bunch of scouting missions, with pretty good success.

The con's:  Parts, Lack Of.  Some of the field maintenance is overly difficult.  Ask a VMM-263 wrench turner how they repair the hydraulic piping. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 01:26:27 AM »
The Air Force is using theirs pretty much on a regular basis now.

You've all heard about that freighter that lost power during Hurricane Ike - Hurlburt Field sent two Ospreys out for the rescue, but conditions on-scene were just too much, with 20 foot seas and 80 knot winds.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 07:56:42 AM »
Yup. The MV-22 is operating in Iraq--pretty much as a flying truck, which was its original purpose (replacing the venerable Phrog). The third MV squadron-VMM-266-just arrived, headed by my old friend Mongo and staffed by a lot of old hands from the long test program..

The CV-22 is done with IOT&E and we're analyzing the tons of data from the Western electronic warfare test ranges. The first CV-22 Det is about to go operational.

As in all things, the USAF has provided for spares and the logistics pipeline better than the Marines. So in Iraq, they wait and wait for parts. In fairness, one of the worst unexpected failure items in-country has been the engines. But the Marines bought "power-by-the-hour" from Rolls, so RR is having to suck up most of the cost of accelerated engine removals.

Have you seen the artist's concept for the Quad tiltrotor candidate for the next-generation heavy lifter? It resembles two V-22s mating. =D

Supposed to lift 40,000 pound payload, with 50,000 desired. It will replace the Chinook in the Army and the CH-53K (still in development) in the Corps.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 09:52:56 AM »
So, after initial problems, they have for the mos part worked out?  The predictions of the Osprey-o-phobes not quite accurate?

If so, that is a good thing.

If they can apply the lessons learned from the Osprey to that new monster, so much the better.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 10:46:58 AM »
The big thing was to realize it was an aircraft that could hover/vtol, NOT a helicopter.  If one takes a V-22 and tries to do certain helicopter manuvers with it, it will fall out of the sky.  If one flies it like a V-22, your survival odds get much better.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 10:51:42 AM »
Overall, not bad. 

The pro's: They're mainly being used for cargo/people moving between bases/FOB's.  They've done a bunch of scouting missions, with pretty good success.

The con's:  Parts, Lack Of.  Some of the field maintenance is overly difficult.  Ask a VMM-263 wrench turner how they repair the hydraulic piping. 

I have read of it. 6000psi hydraulic tubing, wasn't it?

From what I read, the only way to fit in the new titanium tubing is to dip the tubing in liquid nitrogen to make it shrink, put it in place and let it expand. Where do they get liquid nitrogen in the field?

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 02:58:32 PM »
Not quite, MW. Some of the factory installations are tricky, but field replacements are straightforward, although the nacelles in particular are very crowded. That was one of the lessons learned from the December 2000 crash: ensure every line and wire bundle clears obstacles by the necessary separation--an extremely challenging task especially in the nacelle. Since then, factory assembly procedures and checks have reduced faults on delivery to a handful, down from literally hundreds of squawks per aircraft on early production aircraft.

The tiltrotor is not really that different in helicopter mode, except that got a very high disk loading. The V-22 actually enjoys a greater margin of sink rate between authorized (800 fpm below 40 knots) and loss of control (somewhere in the area of 2200-2300 fpm) than most helicopters (they enter vortex ring state or "power settling" at 1200-1300 fpm). But the consequences of VRS in a side-by-side tiltrotor are pretty drastic and deadly at low altitude. A tandem-rotor helo like the CH-46 or Chinook series would usually simply experience a hard/catastrophic landing from which survival might well be possible. A V-22 couples the roll into pitch and dives into the ground accelerating. Impact will always be catastrophic. But, that being the case, the caution among aircrews about screwing with the sink rate limit is almost religious. And the V-22 now has a Bitchin' Betty voice and a visual warning about sink rate at slow speed. Hard lessons.

TC

PS: Mongo tells me that whenever the heavies over there request transport, they ask for an Osprey first. Acceptance has pretty much been accomplished.
TC
RT Refugee

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 05:08:43 PM »
Have you seen the artist's concept for the Quad tiltrotor candidate for the next-generation heavy lifter? It resembles two V-22s mating. =D

Supposed to lift 40,000 pound payload, with 50,000 desired. It will replace the Chinook in the Army and the CH-53K (still in development) in the Corps.

I've seen the drawings for the 53K.  Big.  Very friggin big.  It is supposed to haul 27,000 pounds.  32 Marines fully equipped under normal conditions, or 48 Marines maximum.  An S92 is big.  A 53E is huge.  The K will be ... impressive.

If you want to see weird, check out the X2 candidate for the Joint Heavy Lift.  We did the first test flight of our tech demonstrator a month ago.  Considering we're paying for the R&D out of pocket, kinda glad it's working as expected.  Assuming it scales as expected, it'll be interesting.   
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 05:24:26 PM »
How goes the V-22 Osprey?

See, it's got these two really big propellers...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 05:27:02 PM »
Is the plane in which the X2's tail rotor rotates parallel with the airframe or perpendicular to the airframe? From the image it appears to be perpendicular to the airframe, a bit different than an ordinary helicopter.
Andy

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 05:54:07 PM »
Is the plane in which the X2's tail rotor rotates parallel with the airframe or perpendicular to the airframe? From the image it appears to be perpendicular to the airframe, a bit different than an ordinary helicopter.

Perpendicular. 

For the non mechanical engineer types of APS, any non coaxial rotor helicopter needs something to counter the conservation of angular momentum caused by the exerting torque on the rotor blades by the engine.   Usually a tail rotor, but sometimes something novel like NOTAR (using Coanda effect to counteract the torque of the main rotor by routing fan exhaust through slots in the tail boom).

Another point of the coaxial design is to drastically reduce dissymmetry of lift, which causes one of the most fundimental speed limits on helicopters.   Your advancing blade is moving into the wind, causing faster than normal airflow (thus greater lift).  Your retreating blade has the opposite problem, it's moving with the wind, so less lift.   Once you get enough of an imbalance, you get "retreating blade stall".  In layman's terms, when you want to go faster than the warning labels tell you, the bird wants to flip itself onto the 'weaker' side and pancake the bird.  That's bad.   

BUT, when you have two blades going in opposite directions, they cancel out the dissymmetry.  Well, they're supposed to.  When Mr Rotor Tip takes a drive to Supersonic Aerodynamic Lane, unstability can occur.  Tis why we're tossing a nifty FBW package.  So that's why we think we can make this thing go 287.5 mph.

(Not to nitpick, but it technically doesn't have a tail rotor.  It's a six-bladed pusher-type propeller, classed as "auxiliary propulsion")    :angel:
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 05:58:26 PM by RevDisk »

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 06:11:17 PM »
(Not to nitpick, but it technically doesn't have a tail rotor.  It's a six-bladed pusher-type propeller, classed as "auxiliary propulsion")    :angel:

Wasn't quite sure what to call it, so I went with familiar helicopter terminology. Thanks for the explanation... pretty interesting.
Andy

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 02:57:44 AM »
I'd call it a Soviet Hormone on steroids, that's what.   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 01:12:27 PM »
RevDisk:

Do the V-22 rotors/props turn toward the centerline or out ?

IOW, is the advancing rotor blade outboard or inboard?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 08:25:48 PM »
Article on Yahoo today:

ASAD AIR BASE, Iraq – After a troubled history, the V-22 Osprey — half-helicopter, half-plane — has been ferrying troops and equipment across Iraq for just over a year without a major incident.

Critics say the Osprey, which was designed to replace transport helicopters, lacks firepower for defense in heavy combat.

But pilots say the Osprey makes up for that in speed, which one of them says can take the plane "like a bat out of hell" to altitudes safe from small-arms fire...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081020/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_iraq_bats_from_hell
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 12:03:43 AM »
RevDisk:

Do the V-22 rotors/props turn toward the centerline or out ?

IOW, is the advancing rotor blade outboard or inboard?

Sorry, don't know re V-22.  Tis a Bell product.  I think I know someone who worked on the production line, I can ask. 

I don't know tiltrotor aircraft as much as I do ordinary rotor aircraft.  Oh, and the standard disclaimers.  I am not a mechanical or aeronautic engineer, just a computer geek that works for an rotorcraft manufacturer.   =D

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 01:47:45 AM »
One of my guys who was just over there liked the aircraft but wasn't thrilled with the "tail gunner" concept of a guy on the ramp with a suspended MG.  Apparently it is a risky place to be in a crash.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2008, 05:10:04 AM »
The V-22 proprotors counter-rotate, with each rotor blade arcing downward next to the cockpit. That was a survivability consideration: in a crash landing in airplane mode, the proprotors "broomstraw" on impact, thus avoiding the unpleasant phenomenon of shrapnel slicing the nose off.

The ramp-mounted SAW was an interim measure in the face of estimates upward of $1M per aircraft to equip it with any one of several concepts for a defensive weapon with 360-degree coverage. Since the tactic when encountering unexpected hostile fire in an LZ is to turn away, go to full power, rotate nacelles and scoot like the proverbial bat, the rear-aspect ramp gun is not totally useless. In ant event, the V-22 will pretty rapidly open the range plus creating a changing azimuth/elevation sight picture for bad guys.

AFSOC is testing right now a palletized gun system that "plugs in" to the hellhole and is operated indirectly by a gunner in the cabin.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2008, 05:23:28 AM »
So now the Marines can exit the field of combat at a high rate of speed -- just like the Air Force. :lol:
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2008, 08:49:57 AM »
Doesn't the Chinook use a ramp mounted saw or '60, too?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2008, 03:41:23 PM »
Doesn't the Chinook use a ramp mounted saw or '60, too?

M240, usually.  We don't use M60's that much anymore.

You can also mount a M134 or a M240 in the door just behind the cockpit.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 05:57:22 PM »
History channel did a show or two on the Chinook fire support aircraft used in Vietnam.  I wonder if someone is trying to see how that would fit in an Osprey.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 06:45:07 PM »
History channel did a show or two on the Chinook fire support aircraft used in Vietnam.  I wonder if someone is trying to see how that would fit in an Osprey.

Somewhere (I think it was wikipedia) I read that they were thinking about putting a GAU-19 turret on the nose of the plane to provide better defensive firepower, but the project was canceled.  Don't know if anyone is thinking about reviving those plans or something similar.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2008, 06:54:20 PM »
BAE is developing and testing for AFSOC a palletized GAU-2B for their CV-22s. See here: http://www.freshnews.com/news/defense-west/article_42132.html?Aerospace

The testing is ongoing at Eglin, and they've run into some glitches mainly in the area of software and human factors. Part of the challenge is getting a gunner who is strapped into a fixed seat to operate the gun via joystick over a 360-degree field of fire. In a moving aircraft. Day, night, bad weather. Not a simple problem.

TC

Edit to add: the pallet goes into the "Hellhole" in the belly of the cabin.
TC
RT Refugee