Author Topic: farmville  (Read 2719 times)

griz

• friend
farmville
« on: December 10, 2009, 03:27:13 PM »
I'm just a middle aged guy who happened to figure out that the interent could be useful.  I'm not on facebook or myspace.  So I was surprised to hear people at work talk about Farmville.  It's a game you play on Facebook.  You own a pretend farm and grow things, sell them, earn points, etc.  Apparently it takes advantage of the social networking part of the net.  It is extremely popular, people really get in to it.  My question is why?  What do people get out of it?  Is it fun, or....what?  I just don't get it.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

slugcatcher

• friend
Re: farmville
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 03:40:15 PM »
I tried it a while back. It's like watching virtual paint dry.

TMM

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 03:42:14 PM »
i use facebook, but i make it a point to never use farmville because it takes all the cute, quaint things about farming and shoves it all together, disregarding things that are very important to farming, such as waking up early, long hours, heavy work, etc...

i guess it gives people the illusion of doing something, or maybe it's something to occupy them... hey, if they want to be occupied, go outside and make a farm and be productive...

TMM

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 04:07:23 PM »
i use facebook, but i make it a point to never use farmville because it takes all the cute, quaint things about farming and shoves it all together, disregarding things that are very important to farming, such as waking up early, long hours, heavy work, etc...

i guess it gives people the illusion of doing something, or maybe it's something to occupy them... hey, if they want to be occupied, go outside and make a farm and be productive...

The same could be said of any "non-productive" form of entertainment.  It's just a game. My wife plays it sometimes; like any other game, just a way to shut the brain off and relax for a few minutes. No (fun) games are realistic to the point of not disregarding things like waking up early, long hours, and heavy work. People play games to have fun and relax, that's about all there is to it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 04:12:11 PM by Marnoot »

Iain

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 04:27:07 PM »
Facebook released some stat the other day claiming that more people play farmville than use twitter
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 04:36:47 PM »
that are very important to farming, such as waking up early, long hours, heavy work, etc...

Castrating pigs, shoveling manure, dripping sweat bailing hay. 

"These are a few of my faaaaavorite things! la la laaa la, la la laaa la....."
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 04:36:56 PM »
I never play games on FB as a matter of principle...I already waste too much time on the intertubes.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 04:56:02 PM »
I'm too busy doing important stuff* to have time to screw with FB games.

*Farming barbs in Tribal Wars... =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 05:02:48 PM »
Splash some turpintine on it to keep the flies off.
7-11 was a part time job.

esheato

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 05:29:52 PM »
My wife plays it constantly....I don't understand the attraction either.

IME, it's mind numbing, repetitious clicking that accomplishes nothing...but it's her time so whatever.

Ed

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 05:32:25 PM »
It's Obama's plan to condition us for the collective farms of the Great Leap Forward.   [tinfoil]
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 07:07:46 PM »
I think its just a time waster for the drones screwing around at work.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 07:23:46 PM »
It's Obama's plan to condition us for the collective farms of the Great Leap Forward.   [tinfoil]

What if I want to work in one of the tractor factories, instead?

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 07:38:18 PM »
You think you get to choose? We're re-assigning you to the coal mines for your impudence.

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 07:38:56 PM »
There's a particular type of "questing behavior" that people are prone to... these games, the mafia games, and a ton of other online games (World of Warcraft, etc) satisfy this particular itch.

Also it is a nice clear cut list of people I can safely ignore. ;)
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 08:56:53 PM »
Do they also have a game called "NewYork" where you can look at penthouse views and shop at stores on Fifth Avenue ?

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 02:34:13 AM »
I'm waay too ADD for farmville.  Modern Warfare 2 all the way baby!!

griz

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2009, 07:29:10 AM »
OK.  I guess I shouldn't be too puzzled.  On the computer I play freecell and talk to invisible people. (AKA you guys)
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 08:38:07 AM »
IIRC there was a news item that the purveyors of "Farmville" were being sued over the shennanigans related to clicking for added points.  Something about getting signed up for products/services that the players didn't want or couldn't cancel.

Trouble in FarmVille: Facebook, gaming company face lawsuit over deceptive ads
Mitch Lipka
Dec 10th 2009
Filed under: Kids and Money, Technology, Fraud, Consumer Ally

For the players of Mafia Wars, Vampires, FarmVille and a handful of other Facebook games, the temptation of earning "virtual currency" by clicking on the various offers that popped up on the page was too much to pass up. Unfortunately, what these gamers didn't realize at the time was that the advancement of their virtual characters came at the expense of their own personal bank accounts.

Now, some are fighting back by filing a lawsuit against Facebook and Zynga, the maker of the games. The suit, which is seeking class action status, claims that some offers in the games prompted a series of unauthorized charges or triggered enrollments in programs without the user's knowledge. More than 100,000 people fell victim to these offers, losing more than $5 million, the lawsuit claims.

If only P.T. Barnum had kept quiet about fools and their money.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2009, 08:52:03 AM »
from what i'v seen farmville is one step above the people driving 25 in a 55 on a perfectly clear day [tinfoil] at least i don't have to risk life and limb to pass the lazy bums [popcorn]

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2009, 06:47:02 PM »
My wife and her family are addicted to Farmville....I'm actually planning to start a meth lab just to help them kick the Farmville habit....  =|
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2009, 06:55:40 PM »
Farmville and Mafia Wars. (i used to do Vampire Wars too)

i would do more games, but i can't play them from my home computer.

there good for waiting when APS is having a slow night.  =D
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Snowdog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2009, 03:08:47 AM »
A coworker showed me this Farmville you speak of.  It reminds me of a game I indeed used to play years ago when I actually had time to play games.  The game was Caesar III and I greatly enjoyed it.  When watching this coworker harvest crops, I wondered how cool it would be if only a few legions from Caesar III could make a debut on Farmville and sack some crops. 

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2009, 09:06:54 AM »
A coworker showed me this Farmville you speak of.  It reminds me of a game I indeed used to play years ago when I actually had time to play games.  The game was Caesar III and I greatly enjoyed it.  When watching this coworker harvest crops, I wondered how cool it would be if only a few legions from Caesar III could make a debut on Farmville and sack some crops. 

I haven't seen Farmville, but it sounds like another one of those God's-eye-view sort of games, like the Sims.  Or the original Warcraft.  I hate those games, or for that matter any game that involves too many choices.  Risk, for example.  It's just way too much mental effort for a game. 

But then, the only game I'm any good at is Balderdash.   ;/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2009, 12:07:54 PM »
This "Farmville" game should be 12 hours of staring over the hood of a tractor  ;)

Actually, I did some farming a few years back, and rather enjoyed it.

But it didn't pay very well, but at least I wasn't having to buy the diesel fuel  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin