Author Topic: I'm never moving again  (Read 7442 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
I'm never moving again
« on: April 10, 2010, 10:30:11 AM »
My wife and I have moved just four times since we got married. Two of the moves were into homes we bought. We're now on our fifth move into a different house in another state.

I'm never going through this again. I'll be one of those old people you read about who die in their homes and nobody discovers it for a year. I don't care.

The stress, at least for me, is out of this world. I don't know how others here who've moved interstate have handled it. Maybe it's that you're younger, or just not prone to worry.

We now have our home sold, bought a home, and got all of the paperwork and financials taken care of. I've applied for health insurance, got set up for car and house insurance, and am in the process of switching over phone. I still have to make arrangements to have cable hooked up before we get there so I don't miss any time online.

The scariest thing is my wife not having a job in our new location. We have our rainy day funds to cover things should it take up to almost a year, but I sure hope she can find something. Everyone in the process has said she'll have no trouble finding a job, but, of course, everyone in the process so far has been selling us stuff (house, mortgage, insurance, etc).

Excuse me while I go steal some of my wife's blood pressure pills.

BMacklem

Re: I'm never moving again
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 10:39:21 AM »
Relax Dick, in a years time Obama will have destroyed most of the private jobs, so none of us will be working.

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 10:45:00 AM »
Don't know where you moved to, but my wife has been looking for a job since she got her Masters in 2005 ... she has applied for hundreds of jobs from HR director (she's qualified) to cashier and EVERYTHING in between ... there are only a few places in the US where finding a job is easy, sure hope you've moved to one of them ... Good Luck and God Bless you and your family ...  :cool:
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 10:56:58 AM »
Chester32141, I have a friend who was very high up in Wisconsin Energies as manager of HR for Wisconsin, right up until her position was eliminated about eight years ago. She's had a very hard time finding a job since then. One factor is her age (50+), another is her previous salary ($100K+), and another is that she's in the HR field which, as you know, isn't booming right now.

The fact that your wife has a masters and is qualified to be an HR director may be working against her for jobs such as cashier, as the employer figures she'll only be there until she finds a "real" job.

My wife has had pretty basic jobs--clerical, light assembly, retail--so she's not "slumming." She also has a very high recommendations from former employers and a history of staying for years with the same employer.

The Huntsville, AL area has been booming. Unemployment there is now about 8%, although the rate in Decatur (where we'll live) is higher. She may not like it, but she'll probably have to drive to Huntsville.

I just hope something pans out, and quickly. My business was doing well enough to cover both of us, but I'm now coming into the slow season when people aren't buying gun-related stuff as much.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 11:21:49 AM »
Get a pickup and a fifth-wheel trailer.

Then you can move every day without much hassle.  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 12:06:43 PM »
Get a pickup and a fifth-wheel trailer.

Then you can move every day without much hassle.  ;)

Yeah and someone in MT may even let you stay at his place. >:D
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 02:56:33 PM »
I don't think my wife would like that, although there's a lot to be said for having very little stuff.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 03:53:25 PM »
I'll be one of those old people you read about who die in their homes and nobody discovers it for a year. I don't care.

Note to Self....If we don't hear from Dick for a month a so, call the Dectaur PD......
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 09:27:59 PM »
My bother in law is a Sheriff Deputy in Madison county, which I think covers Decatur.  I can call him if need be  >:D

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 10:45:45 PM »
Madison is Huntsville. Decatur is in Morgan county. Thanks for the thought, though. ;)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 10:53:30 PM »
I've moved 19 times in 32 years (dad was Air Force, I was Navy). I've been in this house 15 years now and don't plan on moving again unless I win the lotto.

I've heard that 3 moves equals a fire.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 11:29:06 PM »
I/we moved way too many times during the period 2000-2005.  When we moved into our current house, which we're renting from my in-laws, I decided we were never moving again. 

I sure hope we can stick to that.  Moving sucks.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 01:34:13 AM »
They say some of the most stressful things in life are moving, divorce, and change of a job.

There was a period in my life when I was moving at least once per year.  My last move was 3 years ago, but it was to the apartment next door.  Real easy.  Open both doors and start tossing things.

Put up a leafy green woodsy scene on your 'puter wallpaper.

Lots of luck, bro.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 01:44:06 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 05:39:17 AM »
Since turning 16 my longest stretch in any one place was the 3.5 years in Tucson.  I think my average time in any given address is somewhere around 9 months for the last 17 years.  I've actually maintained a spreadsheet of every address I've lived in.  It's depressing how long that list has become.  At least for a while there while in college moving was easy as I could fit my entire belongings into a Honda Civic.  Nowadays it's rather more complex. 

We're actually getting ready to put in a bid on a house.  Be nice to get back to owning after 3 years in as many rentals.  Be even nicer to NOT MOVE again for a very long time.
Formerly sumpnz

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 10:07:30 AM »
When I was in my twenties I could usually move in a couple of hours, and that included packing. Now that we have a whole truck full o' stuff, it's not that easy.

Having stuff makes life difficult. As I think about it, I use my chair, my computer and computer table, a small amount of closet space, a bathroom, a 14" TV,  a kitchen chair and a small section of the refrigerator. I think I could live in a studio apartment. Well, except for the gun safe and the bike and the car and the tool carts. I'd need a garage, too.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 10:12:06 AM »
Was it Heinlein who said, "Never own more than you can carry in your two hands at a dead run?"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 10:56:26 AM »
When I was in my twenties I could usually move in a couple of hours, and that included packing. Now that we have a whole truck full o' stuff, it's not that easy.

I used to be able to stow everything in my camper trailer, and hitch it up to my pickup in about 20 minutes  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 12:23:51 PM »
When I was in the college dorms, I'd put a blanket on the floor, dump all the drawers and closet stuff into it, gather up the four corners, and go forth to the four winds.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 12:27:24 PM by 230RN »

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 12:29:27 PM »
Spending six months before the move, organizing, consolidating, and pitching what you don't want/need one room at a time, every few days makes the whole process much easier.

It helps with the "de-clutter" process to sell the house, and it's not as overwhelming.
I promise not to duck.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2010, 12:51:25 PM »
Spending six months before the move, organizing, consolidating, and pitching what you don't want/need one room at a time, every few days makes the whole process much easier.

It helps with the "de-clutter" process to sell the house, and it's not as overwhelming.

Oh, we started that two years ago. My wife started having big rummage sales and throwing stuff away. Even with all that, we still have a ton of stuff in a storage locker to de-clutter our house for showing.

All my stuff fits into one small closet, this computer table, the gun safe and a one car garage (which I share with all sorts of lawn and garden stuff).

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010, 12:59:29 PM »
Well, you could always have a "fire"  ;)

Set an egg timer for five or maybe ten minutes, and then run in and grab your most prized possessions.

After the timer rings, everything else in the house has to go  :lol:

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2010, 05:46:47 PM »
Don't think the thought didn't cross my mind at some point. The insured value of the house is much higher than the sale price. But, aside from the legalities, there's too many things of sentimental value. Like this keyboard, for example. With all of the stuff it's spewed here on APS, how could I replace it?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2010, 06:32:30 PM »
I didn't mean really burning the house down  :O

Just a drill - after the timer rings, everything left inside goes to Goodwill  ;)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2010, 10:14:34 AM »
Dear Mr. Monkeyleg,

The Realtor asked me to contact you regarding that sleeper-sofa you have not yet removed from the basement den.

The buyers are apparently making noises about the purchase contract being voided due to "toxic waste materials" found in the basement den.  We are unable to determine if they are referring to the sleeper-sofa itself or the orange crusty powder filling the spaces between the cushions.

Any information you might be able to provide regarding the sleeper-sofa, the orange powder, and when you will be removing both from the basement den will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Haywood J. Buzzoff
Dewey, Cheatem & Howe, LLC.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2010, 10:19:36 AM »
I didn't mean really burning the house down  :O

Just a drill - after the timer rings, everything left inside goes to Goodwill  ;)

real fire you just take the check buy new stuff.  had one women burnt her house down twice in one year and got away with it. we weren't even done with the rehab when she torched it the second time
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I