Author Topic: Black Powder rules!  (Read 3375 times)

eyebrows

• friend
Black Powder rules!
« on: January 03, 2011, 12:47:53 PM »
Holy cow why did no one ever tell me how awesome it was to touch off 34 grains of bp  [ar15]
SO got me a 1858 New Army bp revolver, we were at the range yesterday and I bumped it up from 24grain loads to 34. The difference is amazing!!!!
2 1/2 hours, 23 shots, and I felt like a kid in the candy store the whole time. SO chewed through half a bulk box of .22 with the Ruger MKII while I fiddled around  :laugh:.

I could see, way back when, carrying a couple extra loaded cylinders but to imagine loading these weapons under stress.. that would be tough. I bet there was a lot of shooting what they brought and then clubbing away.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Black Powder rules!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 12:57:02 PM »
I shoot 100 grains from my Hawken with a 250 grain sabot.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 12:57:46 PM »
The first thing I think of when I see "Black Powder rules!" from a member named "eyebrows" is to wonder if you still have yours?  :laugh:
I promise not to duck.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 01:33:38 PM »
. . . 2 1/2 hours, 23 shots . . .
Whenever I see a BP shooter on the range - especially one with a flintlock - I'm always tempted to ask: How the heck did the Indians lose? After all, THEY had bows & arrows!!!
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 02:13:03 PM »
I shoot 100 grains from my Hawken with a 250 grain sabot.
I'm new at this but I'm guessing that much powder with that big a bullet it must be a rifle.

The first thing I think of when I see "Black Powder rules!" from a member named "eyebrows" is to wonder if you still have yours?  :laugh:
  :laugh: Yep I have two. "eyebrows" don't mean much. Just a random name.

BOOM! I still get giddy when I think about those 34 grain loads I was shooting. Pietta's maximum suggested load is 35 grains.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 03:26:13 PM »
I dunno. I had a .44 revolver a few years back that, if I recall correctly, 35 grains filled the chambers to the point where I didn't have to worry about air pockets with round balls... And it wasn't that horrific to shoot. And it wasn't a giant frame either...

Blog under construction

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 03:29:56 PM »
I'm new at this but I'm guessing that much powder with that big a bullet it must be a rifle.

Yes it is.

Looks like this one, except I have a hickory ramrod and a lot more figure in the stock.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 04:39:49 PM »
Whenever I see a BP shooter on the range - especially one with a flintlock - I'm always tempted to ask: How the heck did the Indians lose? After all, THEY had bows & arrows!!!

First thing that comes to mind is range matters.  Second thing is they still wore breast plate in the 1600's.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 04:46:33 PM »
I dunno. I had a .44 revolver a few years back that, if I recall correctly, 35 grains filled the chambers to the point where I didn't have to worry about air pockets with round balls... And it wasn't that horrific to shoot. And it wasn't a giant frame either...

If you're worried about air pockets and don't want to shoot a hot load, cream of wheat is your friend.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 05:58:14 PM »
First thing that comes to mind is range matters.  Second thing is they still wore breast plate in the 1600's.

don't forget, the sound would wreak havoc on moral if you had no idea about that kind of science.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 06:35:57 PM »
and don't want to shoot a hot load, cream of wheat is your friend.

I usually think of England...

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 06:37:32 PM »
I usually think of England...

Oh you guys!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 09:01:51 PM »
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 11:39:07 PM »
My latest charcoal burner is a Pedersoli made 1874 Sharps replica.
Current experimental load is 70 grs 2F Goex under a 525 gr rn bullet. So far I've been able to get fist sized groups at 50 yds with it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 12:25:21 AM »
My latest charcoal burner is a Pedersoli made 1874 Sharps replica.
Current experimental load is 70 grs 2F Goex under a 525 gr rn bullet. So far I've been able to get fist sized groups at 50 yds with it.

I can get a 2" group with my hawken at 100 yards.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 01:48:24 AM »
Black powder cartridge loading is a whole 'nother level of the black arts.
I've had it less than a month and have only had time to do minimal load work up.
I can get pretty consitent 2-3" groups shooting prb out of my Lyman rock lock at 100 yds.
Nothing beats success with shooting using the holy black.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 06:11:06 AM »
"Rock lock."  Heh.  I like that one.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 11:15:05 AM »
I can get a 2" group with my hawken at 100 yards.

Back when I had my Hawken, I once put two balls through the same hole in a gallon jug - maybe 75-100 yards.

I was standing in a slightly different spot after reloading, so there were two exit holes, so I know I didn't miss entirely the second shot.  My eyes were a lot better back then.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 11:21:03 AM »
Back when I had my Hawken, I once put two balls through the same hole in a gallon jug - maybe 75-100 yards.

I was standing in a slightly different spot after reloading, so there were two exit holes, so I know I didn't miss entirely the second shot.  My eyes were a lot better back then.

I have a fast twist so round ball and patch are all over the place, but that is some fancy shootin' Tallpine.

Uranus is a gas giant.

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 06:08:14 PM »

My revolver seems very accurate. Don't know why but I expected it to be less accurate. Barrel is rifled.
Two range trips so far and every shot but one hit the center area of a paper plate. The one that missed hit the far side of the paper and was the first or second 34 grain shot I took.
Not much change in poi from 24 to 34 grains at 25 yards but the boom is bigger  =D

With 34gr of powder, wad, and ball in that order the ball still seats well inside the chamber. 24gr loads and I couldn't hardly see the ball once loaded. Revolver has ram built in and I've been very careful to make sure bullets were seated solidly. From what I've read air spaces sound bad.

How do you guys clean your bp firearms? I've read that warm soapy water and lots of oil is the way to go. So far I've been cleaning it like I would a normal firearm, using bp solvent, brushes, and running patches till they stay clean. Then lots of oil.
I don't like the idea of sticking it in water.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 06:56:43 PM »
I have a fast twist so round ball and patch are all over the place, but that is some fancy shootin' Tallpine.

I wusn't aimin fur the same hole - jest tryin to hit the jug  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 07:17:10 PM »
Water shouldn't hurt the metal if properly dried and oiled after being dunked. I've hosed my Mosin out many times after firing corrosive ammo and hasn't hurt it yet.
Look, tiny text!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 07:36:32 PM »
   .....  How do you guys clean your bp firearms? I've read that warm soapy water and lots of oil is the way to go. So far I've been cleaning it like I would a normal firearm, using bp solvent, brushes, and running patches till they stay clean. Then lots of oil.
I don't like the idea of sticking it in water.

Use hot water; don't worry about it.  I use Palmolive dishwashing soap and HOT water.   The hot water will evaporate quick.
However as long as you're cleaning it well what you're doing will work fine in all likelyhood.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 08:02:50 PM »
Oh...powder, not power.... :facepalm:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 08:51:41 PM »
For my rifle I use this product called Barrel Blaster. Its a foam that you shoot down the barrel, let it sit for 30-60 minutes and patch until patch comes out clean.

I have used brake cleaner and hot soapy water in the past.

For a revolver I'd do the hot soapy water method.

Uranus is a gas giant.