Author Topic: The EPA is here to save us all!  (Read 3772 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
The EPA is here to save us all!
« on: August 11, 2015, 08:12:55 AM »
From the horror of clean water:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/09/us/colorado-epa-mine-river-spill/

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/08/10/navajo-nation-aims-to-sue-epa-over-devastating-mining-spill/?intcmp=hplnws

So, the EPA was trying to clean up a suspended gold mine that was diverting heavy metals into a holding area. Which the EPA then released. (Love the Navajo Nation's response. They are right to be angry.)

I'm sure the EPA will investigate this matter fully and make sure those responsible are held accountable. I'm betting promotions for all involved.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: The EPA is here to save us all!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 08:34:59 AM »
I've seen the same pictures from the day it happened but what does it look like today? is the contaminated water still flowing in to the river or has it been stopped? By now they should have begun to see fish dying off it they are going to.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 08:58:09 AM »
"Sediment does settle," McGrath said. "It settles down to the bottom of the river bed."

It sure does!  The kepone from the Allied plant settles to the bottom of the James River in less than a year.  And it continued to be stirred up by the catfish.  They tried "reverse dredging" - putting a layer of heavy clay on top of the river bed - until they noticed it was stirring up the bottom and kepone levels rose almost to original levels.  After 20+ years of natural sediment deposits the river is declared "clean" and both private and commercial fishing bans have been lifted(except for dragging).

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 09:04:23 AM »
I've seen the same pictures from the day it happened but what does it look like today? is the contaminated water still flowing in to the river or has it been stopped? By now they should have begun to see fish dying off it they are going to.

As of this morning's dawn news helicopter video the spill continues, and it takes more than 100 miles for the color to start thinning out.

I'm not sure that the chemicals involved are going to cause fish kills.  Rather, they accumulate in the flesh and can be passed along to anybody who eats the fish.  Same for the agricultural products irrigated with the stuff.  There seems to be a complete lack of credible information about what what the spill has/will do to the groundwater and aquifer.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 09:17:53 AM »
As of this morning's dawn news helicopter video the spill continues, and it takes more than 100 miles for the color to start thinning out.

I'm not sure that the chemicals involved are going to cause fish kills.  Rather, they accumulate in the flesh and can be passed along to anybody who eats the fish.  Same for the agricultural products irrigated with the stuff.  There seems to be a complete lack of credible information about what what the spill has/will do to the groundwater and aquifer.

stay safe.

Called Bioaccumulation: The heavy metals are consumed by smaller animals, which are eaten by bigger animals and then bigger animals. Basically the heavy metals are bound to the fat and fatty organs of the animals and keep concentrating up the food chain.

I think it has been too soon since the spill occurred to determine if has or will infiltrate the water table. USGS should have the hydrology of the area to make a pretty good assumption.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 10:38:30 AM »
Can you imagine how much of a bigger deal this would be if a private entity was responsible for the spill  ???  ;/

Obama would be calling for banning gold  :facepalm:

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 10:46:54 AM »
Can you imagine how much of a bigger deal this would be if a private entity was responsible for the spill  ???  ;/

I'm surprised the contractor isn't being tossed under the bus.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 10:57:55 AM »
I'm surprised the contractor isn't being tossed under the bus bulldozer.

;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 11:03:57 AM »

Ha.

I still read the local liberal rag where where I lived because whereas it used to get my blood boiling, it's now kind of amusing since I'm not in the middle of it.

We had an oil spill on the CA coast a couple of months ago. Some people were actually calling for the death penalty for the oil company execs. Also life in prison, bankrupting the oil companies, etc. Some of the "egregious" activity that is still being talked about in the comment section even today is: They underestimated the size of the spill (liars!), they took six hours to notify response authorities, the response was slow, etc. People who had planned on going to the beach or whatever for any days during the spill response were being paid thousands of dollars in "inconvenience" fees by the company. Not to mention the millions in lawsuits that are in the queue right now. Plus they had the nerve to say they were sorry and would do whatever it takes to fix things (How dare they, and also, liars!).

The pipeline is still shutdown, and local authorities have refused to let three oil companies that were transferring oil through that pipe move their oil by train or truck. Their holding tanks are all full (facilities were shutdown over a month ago), and the fed.gov is fining them for the full tanks because inspections and maintenance are due and not being completed because the tanks are full.

In the meantime, news on the EPA spill shows that it's much larger than the EPA initially said; the EPA waited a full day before notifying local authorities; they said they're sorry. Pretty similar to the oil company. The difference is that there was a full response active within eight hours of notification of that spill. Hundreds of people were on scene and cleaning up (an estimated 21K barrels) oil. So far the EPA has been dragging its feet and it seems there is little outcry from the enviros (not even being mentioned by those "death to oil" locals), at least in comparison to the much, much smaller spill by the oil company. I'm guessing any payouts will be much less than what the oil company will have to pay out on the smaller spill.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 11:41:55 AM »

Part of it is how it's being reported. I heard on the radio yesterday that the contaminated water "was spilled from a mine" and the EPA was on the scene.

That's seriously how it was reported. They talked about the dangers of the spill, but left you with the impression that the mining company had caused the spill. LOTS of use of the passive voice.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 12:04:12 PM »
Is this considered a navigable water way?

I guess that comes to mind because down here if we spill something that makes it to a navigable water way, the Coast Guard will be all up in our business probably more than any environmental agency. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 12:12:37 PM »
David Ostrander, an EPA spokesman, said last week the agency is taking responsibility for the incident.

"We typically respond to emergencies, we don't cause them, but this is just something that happens when we are dealing with mines sometimes," Ostander said.

Yes, he is taking responsibility for the incident yet doing his best to downplay the whole thing.  That is something some idiots have said about people dying in industrial accidents in refineries and chemical plants.  It is not acceptable for business and it isn't for them either. 

So are there any details about exactly how the spill occurred?  Did they knock down a damn or did they think the water was going to flow somewhere else?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 12:15:27 PM »
Yes, he is taking responsibility for the incident yet doing his best to downplay the whole thing.  That is something some idiots have said about people dying in industrial accidents in refineries and chemical plants.  It is not acceptable for business and it isn't for them either. 

So are there any details about exactly how the spill occurred?  Did they knock down a damn or did they think the water was going to flow somewhere else?

Yup, I have to wonder (well, I don't have to wonder actually) what the public outcry would be if an oil, or any "unpopular" industry said what the EPA said, which is basically, "*expletive deleted*it happens".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 12:31:02 PM »
Those responsible for sacking those responsible, have been sacked.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

griz

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 12:45:29 PM »
Think of it as the opposite of a hate crime.  Unlike getting a harsher penalty for poisoning somebody because you thought badly about them, if you poison people while thinking positive thoughts about them, your crime is absolved.  As long as it's from the heart and you are not a conservative.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 08:32:43 AM »
Heard a sound bite yesterday on some news radio program that CO Gov Hickenlooper is all butthurt about "the nasty yellow color" of the river.  Nothing about the heavy metals or the effects to agriculture and drinking water. :facepalm:

Also saw a video bite about some .gov type saying the water was safe to touch if you wore "rubber" gloves (looked like he was wearing purple nitrile).  Of course he was standing mid-thigh deep in the soup in a pair of khakis. :facepalm: :facepalm:

A Durango-area photographer has filed a claim with the EPA.  Says the spill effects his business because he cannot use tap water to rinse his prints. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

And some clown is worried that there will be no more Coors.  Probably because Golden is 100+ miles upstream from Durango and on a different river.  But at least he has his priorities straight.

stay safe.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 08:36:15 AM »
And some clown is worried that there will be no more Coors.  Probably because Golden is 100+ miles upstream from Durango and on a different river.  But at least he has his priorities straight.

stay safe.

A little over 300 miles by road and on the other side of the continental divide.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 10:34:15 AM »
Golden is 100+ miles upstream from Durango

Durango is only 30-40 miles downstream from the continental divide  :P

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 10:49:17 PM »
I'm sure the EPA employees responsible for this release will experiences exactly the same personal & legal consequences that an individual working for the mine would experience if he (or she) made the exact same mistake and released that much waste into the river.

Yeah.

Right.

:facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2015, 10:07:09 AM »
I'm sure the EPA employees responsible for this release will experiences exactly the same personal & legal consequences that an individual working for the mine would experience if he (or she) made the exact same mistake and released that much waste into the river.

Yeah.

Right.

:facepalm:

But the EPA folks did not do anything to cause the release.  It's all the fault of that mean old private contractor company who was doing work for profits (as opposed, I guess, to some nice private contractor company who makes sure everybody gets their "fair share"). [/sarcasm]

stay safe.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2015, 11:02:25 PM »
CO Governor drinks the water to show it's safe. Guess he's never heard of giardia. Either that or he was given treated water on the sly.

http://twitchy.com/2015/08/13/real-life-toxic-avenger-gov-john-hickenlooper-drinks-from-contaminated-river-gains-no-superpowers/

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2015, 03:01:26 AM »
Never mind.  I gotta remember to scroll all the way.

stay safe.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2015, 10:47:54 AM »
"The river is restoring itself."

I don't seem to recall that phrase ever being spoken by the EPA at any time they went after someone with $$$ in their eyes.

http://twitchy.com/2015/08/14/shocker-epa-chief-admits-nature-can-restore-itself-but-only-if-the-epa-caused-the-problem/

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2015, 12:17:18 PM »
And now, the bull sheet.  This is what the EPA was trying to accomplish all along:

http://billingsgazette.com/news/science/colorado-spill-a-blip-in-legacy-of-leaking-abandoned-mines/article_2834e968-9767-56f2-bdaa-a6a578379fcf.html

Plugging Colorado's Gold King Mine could simply lead to an eventual explosion of poisonous water elsewhere

Well that is exactly what the EPA did (and all the locals told them not to): plug up the mine so that it blew out.

Federal authorities first suggested a treatment plant for Gold King more than a decade ago, but local officials and owners of a nearby mine were reluctant to embrace a federally sponsored cleanup.

So the EPA deliberately causes this spill to force the issue.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2015, 04:09:48 PM »
truth is, that the EPA has ceased entirely to be about protecting the enviroment, and has morphed into an agency that is the political attack dog for the dhimmicrat party.

I think the EPA just did the spill to do damage, and to harm America.  That is just following the lead of the current administration.  Everything done by the EPA is designed to do economic and enviromental damage.