Author Topic: 51st State?  (Read 3358 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: 51st State?
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2017, 07:36:37 PM »
Not really the way it works in Spanish-speaking countries, as I understand it.

A person's full legal name includes both the father's last name and the mother's maiden name, but for most purposes only the father's name is used. For example, my brother-in-law's full legal name is Ciro Rios Sepulveda, Rios being the father's name and Sepulveda being the mother's maiden (and married) name. (The women, at least in Chile, don't use the husband's last name after marriage.) In everything except very technical, governmental matters, his name is simply "Ciro Rios."

Well, I had the devil of a time locating a former friend of mine whom I knew had moved to Puerto Rico.  In a spotty back and forth correspondence, I got a "Forwarding Expired" on a Christmas card.

I finally sent something to his old address in the name by which I knew him, adding "Or Occupant At," which I hoped would be forwarded.  (I hand-wrote the address and my return address on the envelope.)

It was, not by the Post Office, but by the people who had bought his U.S. house.  He  explained that in PR, he had to use his mother's maiden name when he emigrated there.  At least that's how he explained it to me.  I don't think he was hiding anything.

Terry
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 07:49:04 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2017, 10:20:12 AM »
Not only no, but HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2017, 05:29:06 PM »
Similar thing on the names happened recently at my own apartment.  Landlady said a new tenant's name was Rodriguez (example) but his name on the mailbox was Gonzales (example).  Cleared that up on the same basis of matriarchal family names.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2017, 09:42:20 PM »
Not only no, but HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I'd like to amend that to F#CKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.