Author Topic: Our Springer bit a kid last night  (Read 1317 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Our Springer bit a kid last night
« on: July 03, 2018, 12:38:29 PM »
Margo the 1.5 yo springer spaniel bit a 5 year old boy last night.  The 5 year old was running in the house chasing my 10 year old.  The kid slipped on the slick floor and slid.  As he slid Margo sprinted in and bit his heel.  She grabbed on and shook his foot.  There was no growling and I did not notice any special body language on Margo.

Luckily no injury, just scared the kid.   He was fine and running around again in under a minute.

I yelled at the dog and she bolted.  I chased her down and locked her in her kennel.

This wasn't anything the kid did wrong, he had not even been playing with Margo at all, they had just showed up a couple of hours before.

I haven't decided if Margo thought she was defending Dylan (our 10 year old that the 5 year old was chasing around), if she was playing, or she just was way over excited and the prey drive kicked in.  I could see her thinking the 5 year old was running from her.

My real worry is we have a 4 mo old baby who will be running around and falling.  Margo has never done anything like this before.

For now we are keeping Margo separated until the friends leave town.  This cannot happen with the new baby.

Any thoughts? I'm looking at training options.  Obviously I'd like to avoid rehoming her as she is the 10 year old's first dog.  The drama involved in that would be epic.  However, I will do it if it comes to it.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Our Springer bit a kid last night
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 01:59:19 PM »
1.5 years old is still in the puppy stage. I would just reinforce not to bite. Probably just wanted to play a lot rougher than what is allowed.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 04:18:39 PM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 10:59:10 PM »
1.5 years old is still in the puppy stage. I would just reinforce not to bite. Probably just wanted to play because rougher than what is allowed.

Sounds about right to me too. And about how dogs play with each other at that age.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 11:37:09 PM »
OP:
I haven't decided if Margo thought she was defending Dylan (our 10 year old that the 5 year old was chasing around)...

Pretty good bet, but still time to be careful and observant with the situation.

Could be play, but in that case, I would expect the pup to chase after the 10-year old.  I guess.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 04:15:17 PM »
Thanks guys,

On reflection, and watching the dog penned up where she can see the kids play, it was play.  She just wanted to be part of the action.

Also, I realized she kind of does the same thing to the older dog at times.   Starts nipping at heels.  I think we just need to start correcting her when the dog on dog play gets out of hand and things should be fine.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 03:32:24 PM »
Thanks guys,

On reflection, and watching the dog penned up where she can see the kids play, it was play.  She just wanted to be part of the action.

Also, I realized she kind of does the same thing to the older dog at times.   Starts nipping at heels.  I think we just need to start correcting her when the dog on dog play gets out of hand and things should be fine.

good, i think the dog was just playing too, just correct it , should be fine
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 04:52:05 PM »

That's what I was thinking.  A grab and shake without injury?  Not even broken skin?  That indicates a "play" bite to me.