Author Topic: Refrigerator running pretty much nonstop...  (Read 403 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Refrigerator running pretty much nonstop...
« on: July 04, 2018, 06:30:04 AM »
I cleaned the coils last weekend. They were pretty gunked up with dog hair.

Since then, the fridge is cooling (it's 38 in the box right now), but it's running pretty much nonstop.

Any thoughts before I pull the back out of the freezer compartment to make sure that it's not starting to ice up?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Refrigerator running pretty much nonstop...
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 07:20:44 AM »
How cold is the freezer compartment? Home refrigerators are really freezers that open and close a damper door for the refrigerator compartment.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 07:22:59 AM »
Freezer is working just fine. I have it set at -10 because of the dog food I keep in there, and it's -10.

I did hold my hand back by the cold vents, and it seems that the flow of air coming into the refrigerator section is kind of low.

When I got back from walking Seren, about 20 minutes after I posted my original message, it had shut off and the refrigerator section was a 38, which is close to where it should be.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

castle key

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 09:32:29 AM »
it's running pretty much nonstop.

Better catch it.....
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 09:51:41 AM »
One computer guru says one of the biggest problems people have with computers is that they get impatient and don't let the machine finish doing what it's doing before interrupting the process.

Seems to me I remember that from somewhere, from someone.  Probably on another board.

Same with refrigerators?  A lot of thermal mass in there, and I think the thermostats are designed to be pretty slow in reaction time.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 11:06:20 AM »
My experience is limited to fixing my own refrigerator, but I had an issue where the defrost heater was not kicking on.  That caused icing to build up on the evaporator coils in the freezer. It went through a period of running constantly to a period of not cooling sufficiently to finally hearing a fan grinding. The ice had built up to the point when the fan kicked in it would scrape against it.

Fixed the defrost heater and it has worked since.

If you can get eyes on your evaporator coils, definitely check those for icing. If so, probably either the door is spending too much time open, or the defrost heater isn’t running right.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 12:07:26 PM »
If you can get eyes on your evaporator coils, definitely check those for icing. If so, probably either the door is spending too much time open, or the defrost heater isn’t running right.

Or something's holding the door open, even a wee bit.  Clean the seals, too.

Not an HVAC or 'fridge guy, just experienced in normal, day to day living and still have a pretty good memory.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 12:30:54 PM »
Brand and model number?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG