Author Topic: So I guess it is a "thing" now.  (Read 1642 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
So I guess it is a "thing" now.
« on: July 06, 2018, 10:15:14 PM »
We went to the inlaws for the 4th (oh goody, so much more enjoyable than say, going sailing).
My niece, her man bun wearing boyfriend of 4 years, and a nephew were watching some kind of CGI animated thing on the TV. Turned out to be a video of some other dude playing a video game, no I don't know what game. The commentary from the in house peanut gallery was mostly about how the guy that streamed his play was making all the wrong moves/choices
Now I can enjoy a good video game. Too much really, I stay away from them because I get hooked on them. But I just can't understand the enjoyment of watching sumdood play a game.
To each their own I guess.

https://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/04/do-you-like-watching-other-people-play-video-games/
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: So I guess it is a "thing" now.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 10:23:33 PM »
I won't watch other people play video games but I'll spend 9-10 hours on a Sunday watching other people play football.

So I have no high-ground from which to jape and jest at other folks.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 10:28:38 PM »
I'll spend 9-10 hours on a Sunday watching other people play football.

Yeah, I don't understand that *expletive deleted*it either  =D .
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 10:51:07 PM »
I won't watch other people play video games but I'll spend 9-10 hours on a Sunday watching other people play football.

What he said,  but on Saturday.

My wife really gets in to Esports, specifically League of Legends,  and It's an incredibly lame game* to spectate on IMO,  but to each his (or her) own.

It's an incredibly gay game to play too, I've tried.  I have no idea how it's this popular.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 10:56:08 PM »
Yeah, I don't understand that *expletive deleted*it either  =D .

AMERICA!

I'll also watch cars go round-n-round for three hours at a time.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 11:09:05 PM »
I watch download progress bars.  Why do they all stick so long at 30%?  Is that a version of the 7th inning stretch?  When it's the right season, I also enjoy update meters and circular spinners.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 06:08:55 AM »
I periodically chat with imaginary people on the magic box on my desk.  Then I go smoke cigars and chat with other gents as we ignore whatever sports are being played on three TV's at the local Cigar Lounge.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 06:51:34 AM »
It's been a thing for quite a long time. Not my thing really, I'd much rather actually play than watch someone else play unless it's to learn how to do something. I think it's really more for the person playing and their commentating than what is necessarily being played.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 10:18:08 AM »
Watching foreigners playing in the World Cup of Kickball right now. In fact, got up way earlier than normal for a Saturday to do so.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2018, 11:53:16 AM »
I sometimes watch the "Let's Play" videos on youtube of very good players playing the Civilization games so I can improve my game.  (I spend way too much time late at night playing Civ, mostly Civ 5 but sometimes 6)  I generally have to speed up the video 1.25x to make them watchable.
"It's good, though..."

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2018, 11:57:46 AM »
Youtube keeps suggesting video game channels to me. I must have hit the X button a hundred times by now and it says "Okay, we will adjust your suggestions" or something like that but they keep coming.

Where's the button that says "I WILL NEVER BE INTERESTED IN THIS TOPIC. NOT EVER! DO NOT EVER SHOW ME A SUGGESTION LIKE THIS AGAIN! DO I HAVE TO COME DOWN THERE AND TALK TO YOU IN PERSON ABOUT THIS?"

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2018, 01:44:33 PM »
Watching foreigners playing in the World Cup of Kickball right now. In fact, got up way earlier than normal for a Saturday to do so.
I saw that on the news - those foreign kids look a LOT older than the 6 - 8 year olds who play that game here . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2018, 01:55:17 PM »
I don't like playing horror games myself, but it's fun to watch Mark or Jack play them.  =D

Watching them play Prop Hunt is great, too. [popcorn]

“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2018, 03:20:55 PM »
Eh, some folk like watching sport. Some folks like watching people play games. There are several folks on Twitch who litteraly make their living playing video games for either plus hours a day. One guy I used to watch did so making more than he did at a pretty well paying IT job.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2018, 12:03:57 PM »
Some of those gaming peeps earn six figure incomes

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2018, 04:28:23 PM »

Bingo.
I keep hearing about how stupid it is. 
But people watch football for hours.  They watch "reality" tv.
Hell, even just watching hours of regular tv.
It's just entertainment.

Some of those gaming peeps earn six figure incomes

Some of the top streamers make more like six figures a month.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2018, 04:38:27 PM »
Some of the top streamers make more like six figures a month.

Yep.  Der Google says $15 million last year for the top Youtube earning.  And he did it playing and commenting on video games.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2018, 05:21:35 PM »
Do YouTube gamer guys have a particularly high level of skill at the games they play, or do people just enjoy the commentary?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2018, 05:27:08 PM »
Do YouTube gamer guys have a particularly high level of skill at the games they play, or do people just enjoy the commentary?

I am guessing skill first, commentary second, but it is a package.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2018, 11:19:37 PM »
I am guessing skill first, commentary second, but it is a package.

It really depends on who is doing it. The gamers I regularly watch are basically comedians; they're not great at the games they play (mostly because they play a large variety, and they don't play any one game often enough to get really good at it), but their commentary tends to be hilarious.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2018, 01:26:09 AM »
VanossGaming makes at least $12k a day doing his YouTube videos. Though Forbes estimates that he made $15 million in 2017... He has a funny crew that he plays various games with, and spends time editing his vids so they flow well.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2018, 01:28:36 AM »
There is a guy on YouTube who goes by "CaptainSparklez" https://www.youtube.com/CaptainSparklez who makes enough from it to own a stable of high end cars including a brand new Ford GT.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2018, 01:33:36 AM »
https://youtu.be/F4Sm1blwoWY

"First drive in my new Ford GT"
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2018, 09:12:30 AM »

It's usually both for the good ones.  Some of the best are just excessively creative and funny but not necessarily all that good.
And I've watched a few that are really good at the games and not entertaining nor creative. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2018, 10:53:47 AM »
I saw an interview with a guy who runs a gamer channel on youtube.  It was on Hank Strange and the talk about first person shooter games and does it translate to actual shooting.  The guy had subscribers in the millions. 

The only time I can remember ever watching something like that was just to get tips for when I played the game.  The games I play these days are just quick time wasters though (Treadmarks and X-wing Alliance).  There are a few real time strategy games I like, but never have enough time to really play.  I stopped even looking at new games.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge