Author Topic: Texas open carry bill submitted  (Read 9440 times)

Cliffh

• friend
Texas open carry bill submitted
« on: March 12, 2011, 11:38:31 PM »
Filed on 03/09/2011.

HB 2756
Relating to the authority of a person who is licensed to carry a handgun to openly carry the handgun

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=82R&Bill=HB2756

Not exactly what LSCDL had in mind, but this bill should get through the committee without a problem.  And, from what I hear, it's got a pretty good chance of making it through the House. 

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Re: Texas open carry bill submitted
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 04:47:33 AM »
Excellent! Baby steps. Because walking like an adult is too much for state legislators.  :P

It's the senate that acts as the PITA, right? Some lazy bastage committee chair refused to discuss the college CC bill last session. I can't recall if he was in the House or Senate.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 01:56:23 PM »
The Senate's a big unknown at this time.  I haven't received a reply from my Senator yet, but I think he'll back legislatation for OC.

Because walking like an adult is too much for state legislators.

Ain't that the truth. 

CSM Kersh

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 03:30:00 PM »

As I recall, it was Joe Straus, newly elected House Speaker in 2009, failed to push it and campus carry and both died in the House.  There's a public hearing scheduled this Wednesday, 16 March, on HB 86, regarding campus carry. 
Sam A. Kersh
NRA Patron
csmkersh@thegunnerslair.com
My Web Page
When Seconds count the police are only minutes away.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 08:36:58 AM »
Just getting to the point of a few people legally and peacefully walking around with visible guns is a step in the right direction.  I'd hate to see some people's reaction the first time they see someone walking into a mall open carrying. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 10:11:29 AM »
I'd hate to see some people's reaction the first time they see someone walking into a mall open carrying.

How would it be different than any other reaction where open carry is legal, e.g. Arizona, New Hampshire or Indiana?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 11:17:28 PM »
How would it be different than any other reaction where open carry is legal, e.g. Arizona, New Hampshire or Indiana?

Seem to recall reports of quite a few "OMG! MWAG!" calls in every state when open carry was first introduced.  We can expect the same to happen here.  The first few folks open carrying will have a lot to put up with, and deal with diplomatically.

One of the biggest hurdles is going to be educating the general population - and law enforcement - on the new laws.  Hopefully DPS and/or some other State organizations will start an educational campaign using billboards, radio announcements, newspaper ads, etc. etc.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 12:36:48 AM »
Hopefully DPS and/or some other State organizations will start an educational campaign using billboards, radio announcements, newspaper ads, etc. etc.

Reaction to that would be priceless, as well. Boycotts on Texas tourism, NEA calling for school closings, etc. Or who can forget that billboard in Florida?

http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com/2010/09/welcome-to-florida.html
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 12:48:02 AM »
First I've seen of that billboard.  I'd like to see a few of those scattered around the state, and on all roads crossing the border!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 04:42:48 AM »
Reaction to that would be priceless, as well. Boycotts on Texas tourism

By five hippies and their dog?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 08:49:20 AM »
Reaction to that would be priceless, as well. Boycotts on Texas tourism.....

Sounds good to me....anyone who'd boycott travelling to Texas for that reason is someone I wouldn't want in the state anyway.....Gov. Goodhair included....  :P
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 11:19:16 AM »
I think the main purpose of the bill, and it's a good one, is to protect concealed carrier who have an accidental cover garment failure (I was gonna say "wardrobe malfunction", but...)  Actual open carrying is just icing, but eventually TX will get there.
"It's good, though..."

CSM Kersh

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 02:16:19 PM »

Unententional display and printing are not illegal in Texas.  

• Sec. 46.035.  UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.  (a)  A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.

Sam A. Kersh
NRA Patron
csmkersh@thegunnerslair.com
My Web Page
When Seconds count the police are only minutes away.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 05:10:15 PM »
By five hippies and their dog?
They will insist all flights over flyover country be over other states. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 02:52:25 PM »
It's always sad and amusing to me how the Texas hype about loving guns is radically contradicted by their long history of oppressive anti-carry laws.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 02:58:33 PM »
It's always sad and amusing to me how the Texas hype about loving guns is radically contradicted by their long history of oppressive anti-carry laws.

There's perception and then there's reality.  Look at it this way, at least things are getting better.  Heck, first time I was in Texas no one could carry (1995).

Just remember why the law of 1874 was passed.  It's the new South now. 

They have a long way to go to catch up but they'll get there.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 08:33:18 PM »
every state when open carry was first introduced

Lots of states have always had open carry  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 11:04:41 PM »

So true.....  =|
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 10:00:25 AM »

I like living here, I just wish it was as free as most Texans think it is! 

There are lots of Texans who think the new system is A-Ok, and why would we need to allow campus carry, open carry, or...GASP!....Constitutional Carry?  And poor people, they don't need guns either (If you can't spend $200 a month on range dues and ammo, why would you carry a gun?  :facepalm:)  I've been shocked by some of the conversations I've seen at texaschlforum.com.... :O

My favorite thing to be irritated with is the "new resident tax" on registering vehicles.  $90 a pop. Paid on both vehicles, and have to pay it on the boat trailer.  $15 new resident tax I have to pay to register the boat and then also on the motor.
 :facepalm:

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 11:37:43 AM »
You know, everybody bitches about how anti-constitutional Texas gun laws are.  Bullshit.  Only when it comes to carrying (which, thanks to this bill, is potentially going to get a little better).  As far as general gun OWNERSHIP, Texas has exactly zero laws to abide by.  They revert to the fed regs. 

You people need to get your heads out, stop cherry-picking your "gonna get pissed at..." issues, and thank goodness that Texas has NOT started putting state-level gun ownership laws on the books a'la' Illinois, New York, and New Joisee.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 11:41:45 AM »
Texas doesn't allow open carry?

Really?

Huh.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 11:55:26 AM »
Like I said, cherry-picking and running down the state over a single issue while disregarding the bigger picture...

Have you seen Texas enacting any state-level registration laws?  No.  Have you seen Texas enacting any state-level ownership laws?  No.  Have you seen Texas enacting any state-level rules to define traveling and get residents more protection from over-zealous jurisdictions?  Yes.  Have you seen Texas moving in an attempt to enact state-level rules to broaden the scope of legal concealed carry?  Yes.

Get over it.  I want more, too, but still recognize that we have it pretty good here in terms of firearms, far superior to a bunch of other states.  And we have a state gov that's making moves to make it even better.  Stop bitching and moaning about a single issue and celebrate what we DO have, and that the general attitude is still very pro-gun.

Brad
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 12:07:34 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 12:16:48 PM »
I don't think anyone is saying that Texas is as bad as places like New York or Illinois.

I think a lot of people are surprised that Texas isn't as good as plenty other states, given Texas' reputation for being so pro-gun.  I certainly am surprised.

It's that the reality doesn't live up to the hype.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 12:17:20 PM »
Like I said, cherry-picking and running down the state over a single issue while disregarding the bigger picture...

Have you seen Texas enacting any state-level registration laws?  No.  Have you seen Texas enacting any state-level ownership laws?  No.  Have you seen Texas enacting any state-level rules to define traveling and get residents more protection from over-zealous jurisdictions?  Yes.  Have you seen Texas moving in an attempt to enact state-level rules to broaden the scope of legal concealed carry?  Yes.

Get over it.  I want more, too, but still recognize that we have it pretty good here in terms of firearms, far superior to a bunch of other states.  And we have a state gov that's making moves to make it even better.  Stop bitching and moaning about a single issue and celebrate what we DO have, and that the general attitude is still very pro-gun.

Brad

I know EXACTLY where you're coming from.

I commonly run into it on various gun-boards that the impression is WI is some anti-gun hellhole just because we don't have CCW (yet) and just mentally write us off on some list.

We have one of the strongest and well-worded RKBA amendments of any state constitution.
We have open carry. (in theroy anyway)
No purchase permits.
No ownership permits or FOID cards.
Statewide gun-law preemption. No city level bans.
Gun Range protection laws. (We were here first law)
No ammo bans.
No magazine bans.
No features or type bans. (No state AWB)
All NFA is okay here.
CCW is only a low-level misdemeanor, and with court pres

The only really onerous laws we have is a two day wait because we do our own state check for handguns rather than NICS. And our wait was better because it preempted the five-day Brady wait when that was in effect. And the other is our car transport/carry rules are pretty strict about being cased, unloaded, and inaccessible (if possible for your type of vehicle), however, in reality it's genesis was an anti-poaching measure, even if it's used against those trying to car-carry for self-defense too.

All we need is CCW, Castle doctrine, and "Stand your Ground/No duty to flee" and WI is arguably a top-five RKBA state.

And people forget the Legislature has passed CCW TWICE, and with initial 2/3rds veto-proof super-majorities. For the past decade, WI has been more of a state where anti's have avoided CCW by the skin of their teeth, than some state with huge momentum against it. The State Supreme Court has also admonished the Legislature/Executive branch to pass CCW as well. And in reality, CCW by otherwise clean individuals has been treated with kid gloves/plutonium from a prosecutorial standpoint.

Until the Legislature passes shall-issue this spring, WI's been one SC case away from "Constitutional Carry" for a few years now too.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 12:22:11 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011, 12:24:04 PM »
Brad, yes, exactly.  Even though Texas has far to go, Texas has gone from terrible to middle of the pack.

BTW, how you view the strict Texas laws is relative.  I have good friends from grad school that moved from Mount Prospect, Illinois to Dallas, Texas and daily celebrate that they have escaped Illinois!

Texas is a harbinger of doom for the antis as it is a big state that is continually improving its gun laws.