Author Topic: Boots...  (Read 2587 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Boots...
« on: August 07, 2020, 11:47:13 AM »
Looking for a good set of boots for general use -- walking primarily, not work.

Moderately priced, 6" side zip.

Friend of mine likes the 5 11s.

What's the hive mind like?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Boots...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 12:03:02 PM »
Redwing, mostly because they're one of the few shoe makers who carry my width. Takes a bit of breaking in but with a little care and an occasional dressing of mink or neatsfoot oil, they last darn near forever.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 12:08:17 PM »
I wear Oakley's, Bates or Danner's in uniform,  and really like them for everyday walking comfort. They aren't hiking boots, but good everyday wear, and they have side zip models.

For hiking/walking in nature, I use Solomon or Merrill.

Bates:
https://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en/gx-8-side-zip-boot-with-gore-tex%C2%AE/20134M.html?dwvar_20134M_color=E02268#cgid=men-style-boots&prefn1=itemStyle&prefv1=Side+Zip%7C4%22-+6%22+Boots&start=1

Danner:

https://www.danner.com/kinetic-side-zip-6-black-gtx.html

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 12:15:30 PM »
Bates have been good for me.  I tried Propper last year and it was awful.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 12:18:35 PM »
I was about to purchase a set of Danner Scorch 6" side zips when I noticed that... they don't have a zipper keeper.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 12:57:15 PM »
I'm similar to Dogmush. I wore Oakelys at work because I could get the US made ones through the Oakley gov site. They were very comfortable. Also Bellevilles as my flight boots. I still wear "tactical" boots as my every day shoe, but don't like the Chinese Oakleys, so am wearing Bellevilles (LA Police has a wide selection, and Tactical Research is part of Belleville I believe). They are a good boot and have side zip models.

For hiking, I also generally wear Merrills - the Moab boots. Super comfortable, light, and great traction on most surfaces. No side zip though. One of the Merrill military boots might have side zip.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 02:42:51 PM »
Merrell Moab2 Take a look at what the long distance hikers use.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 02:45:58 PM »
Keen is what I use daily.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 03:09:51 PM »
Merrell Moab2 Take a look at what the long distance hikers use.

I don't think they'll work for me. Looks like they only come in medium width, and I need wides.

Ah, wait, I see how to pick wide selections...

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 03:28:12 PM »

Same, they fit my wide feel and high arches.  Not sure you can get them in side zip.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2020, 03:33:55 PM »
Mike - have you had side zips before? To each their own, but I'm not crazy about them. My first pair of issue flight boots were Danner side zips. Super expensive from what I was told and they were uncomfortable all the way around and all too often it felt like the zipper was digging into my ankle. Plus whenever I put them on and just used the zipper, it felt like they would get loose after a while and I'd end up retying them anyway.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2020, 03:35:53 PM »
Yes, I have had side zip boots. I rather like them. I know some people don't.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2020, 03:36:59 PM »
A neighbor of mine LIVES in Propet boots that he gets from DSW. He and his family walk miles each day, so I may look into those.

Ok, looks like Propet doesn't make side zips.

You know, I may go back to freaking Walmart and get another pair of side zips. I got a pair there a couple of years ago but screwed up and got them a half size too small. They work short term, but not long term.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2020, 03:59:37 PM »

I had Keens once. With my wide feet, I really thought those big toe boxes would be the cat's meow, but they ended up hurting my feet after walking in them for any period of time.

My old guy foot problems are of the variety that sometimes a $40 pair of shoes will work better than a $200 pair, and sometimes only the $200 pair of a particular shoe type will work for me. I've just decided that if I'm lucky enough to find a cheap pair that works, great, but if not, it's kinda "money is no object" when it comes to my foot comfort.

I long for my 20's, when I could wear any old pair of shoes and they'd be fine.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2020, 08:54:06 PM »
I've been looking for a new pair of sidezips for a few years. I got a pair here. Boomhauer I think. They were great for a few years. But once the sole started to go they tore my feet up.

You can find thousands of muck boots around here but sidezips are hard to find and I hate not trying them on. I will wind up having to order them from somewhere so I'll pay attention to this thread.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2020, 09:25:17 PM »
www.gasolinaboots.com

Buy the boots, buy a motorcycle, stop walking!!!   🤔

bob
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 01:00:41 PM by BobR »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2020, 10:25:54 PM »
Here ya go!

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2020, 10:30:27 PM »
Another vote for Danner.

I've not tried their side zips but the tactical and Pronghorn models have served me well.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2020, 08:17:50 AM »
My unit issues Bellevilles and I've never had a problem with them.  For hiking, I have a pair of tan Altamas that my Army Guard unit gave me back in 2009. They're lighter than the Bellevilles and have worn in to feel like sneakers. I even ran a PT test in them once when dumb ol' SPC Devonai forgot his running shoes.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2020, 09:09:50 AM »
Redwing, mostly because they're one of the few shoe makers who carry my width. Takes a bit of breaking in but with a little care and an occasional dressing of mink or neatsfoot oil, they last darn near forever.

Brad

Scratch Red Wing. Looked at their product list over the weekend and apparently widths are now limited to EEE (or 'H' in their parlance). Oh well... it was nice while it lasted.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2020, 09:58:03 AM »
Well, I've run through dozens of potential boots, and I've only found two that really meet what I'm looking for -- the 5.11s and the Altamas. But, the Altamas I'm looking at have mediocre customer reviews.

So, it's looking like it's going to be 5.11s...

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2020, 11:00:01 AM »
Oh, and apparently I make fisful horny...

Ick.

:rofl:

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2020, 01:06:56 PM »

Ick.

That kind of thing's not my bag, baby.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grampster

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2020, 02:45:43 PM »
I have feet that demand comfort.  I have found Merrell's in a variety of styles are very comfortable for me for a variety of uses.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2020, 04:14:48 PM »

Ick.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams