Author Topic: Indiana police teargas wrong apartment...  (Read 1891 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Indiana police teargas wrong apartment...
« on: November 21, 2007, 09:02:58 AM »
Do police not have GPSes yet? Do the dispatchers no speaka english? What is the deal?

SWAT Unit Raids Wrong Home, Leaves Mess Behind
Woman Works To Rebuild After Police Raid Her Home

LAWRENCEBURG, Ind. -- A SWAT team raids the wrong home in Lawrenceburg, Ind., now the homeowner wants some answers.

Police said they were led to the Village Apartments on the trail of fugitive Sean Deaton.

Convinced he was inside apartment 407G, the Lawrenceburg SWAT unit surrounded the building.

"It looked like they were ready to go to war," one neighbor said. "Some of the ones out here had AR15's and shotguns."

Neighbors said police spent hours, ordering Deaton to surrender. But when that didn't work, they responded with tear gas and forced entry.

"It looked like my apartment was on fire. The smoke was just blowing out of my windows," Kayla Irwin, the tenant of 407G said.

Irwin, a single mother of two, said she is unable to live in her apartment and didnt even know the man police were searching for.

Now, she said, she has been left with the mess and no apology.

"It's all covered with poison. I don't know where to start over with two kids," said Irwin. "How do you start with replacing the items that your kids have had since the day they were born?"

She said one of her pet guinea pigs was also killed during the incident.

Neighbors said the police action was simply overkill.

"Overpowered. In my opinion it looked like they were enjoying what they were doing. They did not need to do all this," Emanuel Brightwell, an Iraq veteran and neighbor said.

Irwin said she appealed to the police, but hasnt gotten anywhere.

"They basically just said, sorry for the inconvenience. Go ahead and clean it up. Clean up our mess," Irwin said.

She said she's had to borrow everything from family in the week since the incident. She also said she can't stay in the apartment because of the acrid gas residue.

An assistant chief and another officer were at the Village Apartments talking to Irwin within 30 minutes of Target 5 asking them about the incident, telling her that they would try to get some money so she could clean her clothes and furnishing on her own.

"This is the first time this has happened. I'm surprised the incident has not been remedied. We will take care of it the best we can," the assistant chief said.

Until the incident is remedied, the manager of the apartment complex said he has put Irwin, her kids and her pets in another apartment.

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Indiana police teargas wrong apartment...
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 09:09:13 AM »
I think people sue each other for frivolous, stupid reasons.  But in this case, I think it's more then justified.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 09:27:53 AM »
I'm gonna guess that the police in this case have immunity from any kind of civil relief. Us peons are just SOL when "The Man" screws up.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 10:02:57 AM »
The more I read about these kinds of screw-ups from the police, the more convinced I am that all should take steps to fortify their homes.  Something like ShatterGARD for the windows might be a wise move.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 10:27:55 AM »
I have to wonder what ever happened to just going up and knocking on the door (w/ back up at the ready)?? Sometimes I think that the police watch too many movies. Then there's that silly fact of double-checking the information and verifying that the information is, in fact, correct. I hope the city gets their pants sued off of them.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 01:25:50 PM »
The more I read about these kinds of screw-ups from the police, the more convinced I am that all should take steps to fortify their homes.  Something like ShatterGARD for the windows might be a wise move.

Or getting your house coated in Line-X?

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 02:00:47 PM »
Hey, our tax dollars have bought the guys LOTS of toys... And they want to play with them... And they want to play with them so much that it doesn't need much of an excuse...

Blog under construction

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 07:32:15 AM »
i wonder what convinced them that sean deaton was in her apartment?

it seems to me even if the fugative was in her apartment (especially with no relationship to the suspect), public funds should pay for the cleanup.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 12:22:36 PM »
Bah, when I was a kid the Speedway, Indiana police burned down a house with teargas.  Next time they threatened to use teargas, but had left the containers in the armory.

"This is the Speedway police" (said through your hands like a bullhorn) became a laugh line in Boy Scouts whenever we screwed up something.

Teargas and Indiana police just don't mix.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

jeepmor

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 07:13:55 PM »
Mistakes happen, sure, but not being held accountable for them is the part that disturbs me the most.

Where is accountability with the .govs nowadays, and how do we bring it about?

A commotion like this surely tipped off the BG if they were only off by an apartment or two.  This cat could have likely just slipped away in the crowd that gathered after the fact.  Had they knocked on the door and realized they had the wrong apartment, they likely would not have alerted the BG of their presence and had a real opportunity to revisit their information and still get the guy had he been, say, next door, for example.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 07:30:16 PM »
Indiana police burned down a house with teargas.
Thats not what the ATF said about Waco. Is there any info about this? Was it the teargas canisters that burned down the house or did they knock over a candle or something?
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 08:08:50 PM »
Teargas and flashbangs do indeed get hot when they're going, and can ignite flammable materials if they land near them.

More than one home has been burned down by them.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 09:42:28 PM »
NEVER, EVER pick up a cooking smoke grenade or tear gas grenade (pretty much the same thing...) with your bare hand... Then again, the "better" tear gas grenades "explode" so that there's nothing left to pitch back at the fuzz...

Blog under construction