Author Topic: Re: Your patriotism  (Read 13018 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Your patriotism
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2009, 11:40:01 PM »
Maybe he meant "Regards to your patiotism."  as in, bon voyage, America.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2009, 12:25:54 AM »
MTP, was there a thread called "Your patriotism", hence "Re: Your patriotism", that I missed and that this is a reply to or did you mean "In re: Your patriotism"? 

No, I meant "Re" as an abbreviation for "in re."  In common usage, it can mean either.  The title was suggested by http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=18480.0, although I'm not sure which meaning of "Re" was there intended. 

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2009, 04:20:07 AM »
Oh, I am very patriotic, I love Austria !

Other than that I came to the APS as a RT refugee.
The RT at THR you remember ? Oleg closed it because of Fistful.

Before that I was a member at the TFL, Rich had it suspended for years -
because of Fistful.

Fistful is the true reason of every forums death and a Mod worth his salt
should go back in time to throw his (Fistful's)  redhaired ancestors off the Mayflower
way before reaching land. That would prove real patriotism.

Laurenz von Var
Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2009, 07:16:04 AM »
I can neither confirm nor deny your actions.

Let's say the mods are, er, in session....nudge, nudge, wink, wink......

=D
One day at a time.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2009, 08:38:37 AM »
Just so long as it's not 9 millimeter, or punier, you should be fine.  :laugh:

Why would one need anything bigger than a 9mm?.....unless you're compensating for something else, Mr. TP..... ;)

Other than that I came to the APS as a RT refugee.
The RT at THR you remember ? Oleg closed it because of Fistful.

Before that I was a member at the TFL, Rich had it suspended for years -
because of Fistful.

Fistful is the true reason of every forums death and a Mod worth his salt
should go back in time to throw his (Fistful's)  redhaired ancestors off the Mayflower
way before reaching land. That would prove real patriotism.

Laurenz von Var

All very well said, LDV.....however, your avatar makes me call to question your credibility....as everyone knows that the ONLY Inspector Clouseau was Peter Sellers....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2009, 09:17:21 AM »

Laurenz von Var

Hmmmm, notice the new Prussian honorific in his last name.  First a French name, claims to love Austria, and now a German title of nobility.......He's good to go.

Yep, it's Fistful's (of TP) fault.....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2009, 10:29:03 AM »
Hmmmm, notice the new Prussian honorific in his last name.  First a French name, claims to love Austria, and now a German title of nobility.......He's good to go.

Yep, it's Fistful's (of TP) fault.....

OK....but if LVV starts wearing brown shirts and making grand speeches in the Reichstag, we'll need to mobilize quickly....   :police:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
Re: Re: Your patriotism
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2009, 10:49:17 AM »

No, I meant "Re" as an abbreviation for "in re."  In common usage, it can mean either.  The title was suggested by http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=18480.0, although I'm not sure which meaning of "Re" was there intended. 

No need to get sniffy, I was making a joke. But since you did...

"In common usage" is not a synonym for "proper usage". Just because "everybody" or "most people" say or use a word or phrase a certain way doesn't make it acceptable usage.

While I've never been one to browse legal papers for fun, I've never once seen "re" or "re:" used in lieu of "in re" anywhere except by people who do it thinking it's acceptable or proper usage because they saw someone else use it that way.

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2009, 01:32:07 PM »
Hell, I'm not even sure Fistful is from this planet.

i thought that was a given.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2009, 03:08:18 PM »

"In common usage" is not a synonym for "proper usage". Just because "everybody" or "most people" say or use a word or phrase a certain way doesn't make it acceptable usage.

While I've never been one to browse legal papers for fun, I've never once seen "re" or "re:" used in lieu of "in re" anywhere except by people who do it thinking it's acceptable or proper usage because they saw someone else use it that way.

A fun notion, except it requires you to pick a randomly determined starting point as "pure English" and hold to that arbitrary standard. The language has been evolving for a lot longer than any of us have been alive, and whether you like it or not the version you hold to as "correct" is a derivation from some older standard.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2009, 05:20:35 PM »

That's pretty much how I see your earlier post.  I was making a joke, and then you got sniffy.  I was just responding, not being "sniffy," but you thought I was "sniffy."  The nature of written communication, I suppose. 

I agree.  Balog's reply to this is short-sighted.  There must be a balance between "proper usage" and "common usage."  Common usage is too heavily emphasized these days.

Legal papers are our new standard?  What do you mean, you've never seen it, except when you have seen it, and the times you have seen it, it must have been wrong?  You're conflating the two standards. 

Come to think of it, though, I've never thought of "re" as being short for "reply."  I've always taken it to mean "with regards to," or "regarding," which is how I used it. 

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2009, 05:23:12 PM »
and now everybody is sniffy.

only fistful...  :rolleyes:

:lol:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2009, 05:26:31 PM »
You're right.  This is going off track.  The real point here is, Uncle Bubba hates America.   :police:

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2009, 05:35:05 PM »
You're right.  This is going off track.  The real point here is, Uncle Bubba hates America.   :police:

sad. your delusions are getting stronger. i think its time for you to have another little 'vacation' at the hospital.
come on, now fisty, you know you like it there. arn't the nurses nice to you? and the doctor lets you talk about whatever you want? and they have those nice pills that make you sleepy...

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2009, 05:38:55 PM »
 :|  Don't go Gewehr on me now.  This is all in good fun.  Joke-time.  Yah!   =)

seeker_two

• friend
Re: and now everybody is sniffy.
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2009, 05:40:13 PM »
....and fistful does it yet again!

How long will we allow this sock monkey avatar disrupt the placidity and tranquility of this board?  How long will we allow him to randomly use the English language to obfuscate, befuddle, and perturb our enlightened conversation in order to multiply his own post count--a count which is meaningless in accomplishment but telling in misdirected personal priority?

This injustice must stop NOW!  This menace must be brought to justice.

We should all send tea bags to fistful's house....LOTS of tea bags.....frilly, girly, no-man-with-an-ounce-of-testosterone-would-put-in-a-mug-of-hot-water-type tea bags....

....and then take away his post count and give it to the newest member to join APS....

=D

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2009, 05:52:15 PM »
Well, this thread is a failure. 

It was bad enough that a mod thought I was being serious. 

But then wmenor knew I was joking, but thought I was unaware of Laurent's place of residence.

And even the title brought down the wrath of the Latin Police. 

Then bluestar went all internet-stalker-obsessed-with-my-real-or-alleged-faults on me. 

=(
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 12:42:53 AM by Mr. Tactical pants »

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2009, 06:03:11 PM »
How long will we allow this sock monkey avatar disrupt the placidity and tranquility of this board?  How long will we allow him to randomly use the English language to obfuscate, befuddle, and perturb our enlightened conversation in order to multiply his own post count--a count which is meaningless in accomplishment but telling in misdirected personal priority?

Channeling the Brady Bunch there? Next thing you'll be advocating for Fistful control, and we all know where that leads...   :lol:

In seriousness on the lack of seriousness it does seem that a few people have broken sarcasm detectors. Must be all the stress of the times.
Look, tiny text!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2009, 07:38:12 PM »
Well, this thread is a failure. 

It was bad enough that a mod thought I was being serious. 

But then wmenor knew I was joking, but thought I was unaware of Laurent's place of residence.

And even the title brought down the wrath of the Latin Police. 

Then bluestar went all RileyMC on me. 

=(

this is like watching a teenager with a 'brilliant' idea that backfires most horrendously. look, now he's all cranky and needs a nap.

:laugh:

grampster

• friend
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2009, 08:46:06 PM »
This thread reads like a transcript from a group meeting at the State Mental Hospital. Shady Rest Vacation Villa.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2009, 08:54:41 PM »
I'd rather have this bottle in front of me...

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

grampster

• friend
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2009, 09:23:23 PM »
I'd rather have a cold beer in front of me
than a pre-frontal lobotomy. =D
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2009, 10:33:21 PM »
RileyMC

That's the only thing I saw on this entire thread.

Motion to ban for bad memories.
One day at a time.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2009, 10:40:03 PM »
this is like watching a teenager with a 'brilliant' idea that backfires most horrendously. look, now he's all cranky and needs a nap.

Oh, it's worse than that.  Been drinking coffee all day, and I'm like a ten-year-old with too much soda in him.  Chained to the desk, paper due on Wednesday. 

Wait, wait, wait.  Sense of humor has been lacking with you lot, so I'll clarify.  I have not actually been drinking coffee all day, like out of a Camelback or something.  I just had four or five cups earlier in the day.  I am not really ten years old.  Well, I am, but I'm actually older than ten years old.  No, I'm not really chained to the desk. 

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2009, 12:35:45 AM »
Motion seconded.

Let the dead be not spoken of lest their chindis pollute the living with their evil ways.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"