Author Topic: Rotate Water Supply  (Read 12980 times)

Chester32141

• friend
Rotate Water Supply
« on: February 03, 2010, 07:02:03 PM »
Hey Y'all ... As part of my emergency kit I was going to buy a water filter that cost about $200 and then realized for the same money I could get about 1000 16 oz bottles in easy to store cases (50 cases) ... yeah it takes up a lot of space but it saves me from trying to dip water out of a ditch to run it thru a filter ... I may only set aside about 1/2 that quanity since it's just the two of us and stock up by picking up a couple extra cases a week when I see it on sale ....  ;/

My question is ... should I store it in such a way as to be able to rotate my stock or does water stay good indefintely ?
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Rotate Water Supply
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 07:05:50 PM »
The water you drink now was peed out by an australopithecine, and by a triceratops before him, and by a tetrapod before him, etc. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 07:14:21 PM »
I've read people to say that each bottle so stored should have a drop of bleach, to kill germs.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 08:05:09 PM »
Hey Y'all ... As part of my emergency kit I was going to buy a water filter that cost about $200 and then realized for the same money I could get about 1000 16 oz bottles in easy to store cases (50 cases) ... yeah it takes up a lot of space but it saves me from trying to dip water out of a ditch to run it thru a filter ... I may only set aside about 1/2 that quanity since it's just the two of us and stock up by picking up a couple extra cases a week when I see it on sale ....  ;/

My question is ... should I store it in such a way as to be able to rotate my stock or does water stay good indefintely ?

Rotate it.  It isn't so much a matter of germs, just that the plastic bottles can leach chemicals after some time.  I don't think it's bad enough to become life-threatening, but it's probably a good idea not to drink it if you don't have to, especially if you have to rely on that water supply for an extended period of time.

The bottles usually have an expiration date on them for this reason.  If you keep them in a cool, dark place, they should last longer than they would if they were in the sun or subjected to heat.  Probably past the expiration date, though I couldn't say how long.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 08:28:31 PM »
I am considering product below for my emergency water supply.  What do you think?
http://www.purpurifierofwater.com/products.html
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 08:39:03 PM »
I've looked at several brands of bottles water and have not been able to find an expiration date ...  :cool:
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 08:58:35 PM »
If you want to buy bottled water, I think you would be better served buying 1 gallon jugs. They will be cheaper, nearly as easy to store, and have more uses once they are empty.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 09:00:50 PM »
I've looked at several brands of bottles water and have not been able to find an expiration date ...  :cool:

I've seen them on Aquafina bottles.  

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 09:23:46 PM »
I'd rather have a Berkey filter me-own-self. I imagine a bit of research on www.survivalblog.com might be in order.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 09:48:04 PM »
Here I was, thinking I was clever for having a reverse osmosis filter and many backup cartridges. I could literally filter sewerage and get drinkable water.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 09:51:49 PM »
live on a river have filter if the generator goes tits up and i can't power well
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 10:03:34 PM »
http://www.purpurifierofwater.com/products.html

Spend the money on a Katydyn or Berkey filtration system.

I have a katydyn pocket microfilter and a stream (running from a spring fed lake a mile way) that runs right behind my house. I figure I have nearly a lifetime water supply to tap into if I ever needed it.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 10:06:43 PM »
There are all sorts of nasty things that can get into ground water that a filter won't remove for you.

I make bottled water my primary source.  I figure it's safer to rely on water that was safe to begin with, than to take water known to be unsafe and try to bring it back into spec.

Edit:  To answer your question, the expiration dates printed on store-bought bottled water are intended as a retailer aid, to allow them to rotate their inventory as needed.  They aren't an indication that the water has gone bad or is unsafe to drink.  The various FDA requirements that apply to store-bought bottled water are supposed to be strict enough to ensure that the water is potable indefinitely, so long as you don't allow any chemical contaminants to leach in through the bottles.

I don't have any sources of cites for this info, so use it at your own risk.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 07:45:16 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 10:07:21 PM »
Just ran down to the cabin to look at some bottled water. Had to start keeping plenty on hand down here or I might reach for a cold one a little early on a hot summer morning. Mine expires 11-10-11.

I know that you get taste from the bottle sooner then that but if it was all you had it is still very drinkable.

The main problem I see is it is not moble. I have no plans for ever leaving here if something happens, but you can never say never.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 10:38:53 PM »
you could build a real nice still for 200 bucks, umm bad idea [tinfoil] sorry =|

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 10:41:41 PM »
Is mere possession of a still illegal, or does need to actually be making alcohol with it?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 12:25:46 AM »
I usually have purification tabs in any of my kits. The product won't taste good, but it won't kill you and the pills are light. I need to get a Katadyn, maybe a steri-pen too. Keeping tons of bottled water is never bad, a case in every vehicle is good, but I can carry a water filter that will make me several hundred quarts of water. Carry same several hundred, not so much.

Bipedalism really puts "stuff" in a sharp focus. I walked 20 miles up here one day. I had some snacks and water I bought at a store, misc. pocket litter,an airweight 642, and an unobtanium S&W 325. Somewhere about mile 15 and several straight miles of going up those little aluminum guns were entirely too heavy.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 01:10:37 AM »
Check this out ...  :O

The Water Bob ... From Cheaper than Dirt ...  [popcorn]

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/CAMP205-1.html

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

brimic

• friends
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 08:27:28 AM »
Is mere possession of a still illegal, or does need to actually be making alcohol with it?

I would hope not, everyone would be guilty of owning a still under 'constructive possision' by the ordinary everyday objects that are lying around the home.

I wouldn't distill water anyhow. Its very energy intensive,  and a lot impurities are not easy to remove by distillation- especially from water.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are all sorts of nasty things that can get into ground water that a filter won't remove for you.

I make bottled water my primary source.  I figure it's safer to rely on water that was safe to begin with, than to take water known to be unsafe and try to bring it back into spec.

Therein lies the rub. If you need to be mobile, bottled water is very heavy, but a water purified is portable. If you are stayin in one place, your water stock will run out faster than you think. You need another way to get water pure enough to drink. It doesn't need to meet EPA or Clean Air Act standards, but good enough that contagions are removed to keep you from getting immediately sick.

If its a short term emergency, drinking water with some contaminants for a few days or a few weeks isn't going to matter much. If its  a TEOTWAWKI situation, your lifespan is going to be cut in half anyhow, so the main thing you need to worry about is disease.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 10:08:45 AM »
If you want to buy bottled water, I think you would be better served buying 1 gallon jugs. They will be cheaper, nearly as easy to store, and have more uses once they are empty.

I'd debate that...

The small bottles are typically made from better plastic, less gas permeable and more stable.

Gallon jugs are generally HDPE, which is less stable and allows lighter gasses to pass through  it.

I'd use the clear PET(E) bottles for long-term storage. They're often identified by the "1" in the recycling icon on the bottom of the container.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 10:22:54 AM »
I have thought about storing water for the big what if.  I just keep a couple cases at home all the time and a case in each truck.  I have my 50 gal water heater if things really go south.  There is a flowing spring at my camp I can water up from and I have one of those pen jobs that kill all the bad stuff in the water.  I have Brita filters to get rid of the chunky stuff first.  chris3

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 10:31:32 AM »
Actually, I'll debate the debate on water bottle size. This may only be a CA environmental thing, but in the last month I noticed the small (1/2 liter?) bottles at Costco and other stores that sell by the case have changed. They are now incredibly flimsy to the point that they won't even stand up straight, and they have very thin caps that I don't think will take being opened and closed more than a couple of times, so totally non-reusable.

The liter and gallon (the one's Costco sells are the good, clear plastic) are still pretty heavy duty and would hold up well to storage and transport.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

PTK

• friends
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 10:39:12 AM »
The .5L bottles "Kirkland" brand here, are quite good plastic still.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 11:37:14 AM »
Does adding pure grain alcohol (say, 1/4 cup) to water (say, a gallon) help in any way regarding microbe staunching, etc.?  ???  I don't really like the idea of drinking bleach.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 11:38:41 AM »
Does adding pure grain alcohol (say, 1/4 cup) to water (say, a gallon) help in any way regarding microbe staunching, etc.?  ???  I don't really like the idea of drinking bleach.

Chlorine tablets.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought