Author Topic: Kitchen Knives  (Read 12996 times)

InfidelSerf

• friend
Re: Kitchen Knives
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2010, 12:03:12 PM »
What Irwin said about the dishwasher.  Heat and harsh chems.

I also forgot to add that having a steel is important.. and your good knives should be straightened often.
I say straightened because that's essentially what a steel does.  Think of the edge of your knife after use like your hands with interlocked fingers...
Running it over a steel smooths the edge back as if you moved your fingers back into a prayer hold...

Actual sharpening on a stone should only be done if you truly know what your doing, or taken to a pro.
That is assuming you want to keep a nice edge on your knives for along time. 
The other alternative considering the price of very decent knives these days is to just buy a new one every year or two, and hand me down the old knife of change it's duty or location in your household.  I have some nice old wustoff knives that pull duty in my garage now, when I replaced them with newer ones.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2010, 01:43:08 PM »
InfidelSerf,

You're demonstrating using the steel to correct the blade edge serrating.  Is that more the main reason to use a steel than to correct blade edge rolling ?  Ultimately, I guess it doesn't matter because I think one would use the steel in the same way for either remedy, but I'm curious as a fledgling knife guy.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2010, 02:12:29 PM »
I've had a set of Henkels 5 star for about 10 years that I love to use.  They get sharpened twice a year, and show no signs of wear whatsoever. 

However, on our most recent move I bought a couple of the Victorinox knives on Amazon while we waited for our kitchen stuff to arrive from Korea.  I got an 8" Chef and a 7" santoku.  I really love the way they handle, and it is easy to keep a blade on them.  These two knives are in inexpensive and effective way to cover the vast majority of your kitchen cutting tasks. I still use them a lot. Sometimes I prefer the lighter weight if I am doing a lot of chopping. 

I also like this inexpensive paring knife set from Henkels. I reach for them a lot: 

http://www.amazon.com/Henckels-Twin-Colored-Paring-Knives/dp/B00005K8PF/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1282500429&sr=8-3

Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it