Author Topic: New single-drug lethal injection protocol  (Read 13189 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
New single-drug lethal injection protocol
« on: September 11, 2010, 09:40:34 AM »
Here in Washington state, an inmate was executed this week.  It was the first execution in nine years, and the first using a new single-drug lethal injection protocol.  Following the lead of Ohio, we used a large (5 gram) dose of sodium thiopental, an ultra-rapid barbituate anesthestic.  It is often used in medicine to induce general anesthesia.  A large overdose depresses cardiac and respiratory function.

The inmate died about 90 seconds after the drug was administered.  The advantage of this protocol is that using a single large overdose of anesthetic just about guarantees that the inmate will not suffer undue pain, as is possible using the three drug lethal injection protocol of sodium thiopental, Pavulon and potassium chloride.  Many courts across the country have put the three drug protocol on hold after some data showing that inmates could be conscious and aware and feel great pain during the execution. 

I wonder if the one drug protocol will become the standard.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zahc

• friend
Re: New single-drug lethal injection protocol
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 10:02:10 AM »
If I was to be executed, I would still prefer a .45 to the brain pan, over any kind of injection. 90 seconds is an eternity, and it's just stupid. Our executions are more like fetishistic ritual sacrifices.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 10:06:36 AM »
Is it lead?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 10:49:25 AM »
leave it to government to complicate things.  all over america junkies overdose and die using a cheap one dose painless method and somebody with a bunch of letters after their name needed to find a better way. i can show you a 100% effective method that will have the inmate losing conciousness almost before you withdraw the needle.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 10:57:09 AM »
i can show you a 100% effective method that will have the inmate losing conciousness almost before you withdraw the needle.

As the forum's involuntary guinea pig, I really don't like where this is going.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 11:11:03 AM »
As the forum's involuntary guinea pig, I really don't like where this is going.

If it doesn't work, you can file a complaint!

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 11:41:13 AM »
Fistful, we wouldn't off you.  Who would we blame things on in the future? :facepalm:
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 11:47:09 AM »
The Ghost of Fistful, Eternal Scapegoat, of course.  ;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 11:58:48 AM »
I just wish it hadn't taken 19 YEARS (and untold millions of dollars) to execute that scumbag.  He freely admitted to the kidnapping/rape/torture/murder of a young woman.  He should have been executed within 19 DAYS of the guilty verdict.
Formerly sumpnz

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 12:19:05 PM »
Guillotine still has a 100% success rate....and no one who's experienced it ever complained about pain or suffering....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 02:27:13 PM »
Did they use an alcohol prep pad to sterilize the injection site before sticking the needle in?

That little maneuver always tripped my giggle box.

Sorry if that makes you think I'm perverse, but that's the way I roll.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 02:40:25 PM »
Did they use an alcohol prep pad to sterilize the injection site before sticking the needle in?

That little maneuver always tripped my giggle box.

Sorry if that makes you think I'm perverse, but that's the way I roll.

stay safe.

As a matter of fact, they do.  This is for two reasons:  to maintain aseptic technique in case the inmate gets a last-minute stay after the IV lines are placed; and it is less emotionally traumatic for the staff for the execution to have the trappings of a clinical procedure.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 04:20:53 PM »
As a matter of fact, they do.  This is for two reasons:  to maintain aseptic technique in case the inmate gets a last-minute stay after the IV lines are placed; and it is less emotionally traumatic for the staff for the execution to have the trappings of a clinical procedure.

OK....so we can bring Band-Aids to the guillotine, too....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 06:01:31 PM »
I thought guillotines failed often if they weren't kept sharp.

I wonder why they don't just put a breathing air mask over them then switch it to pure nitrogen.  They will pass out immediately and be dead in minutes.  You could include some nitrous if you want it to be enjoyable.
I guess people don't like the idea of gassing inmates.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 06:04:35 PM »
Again, why not bullets?

• friends
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 06:08:56 PM »
I thought guillotines failed often if they weren't kept sharp.

I wonder why they don't just put a breathing air mask over them then switch it to pure nitrogen.  They will pass out immediately and be dead in minutes.  You could include some nitrous if you want it to be enjoyable.
I guess people don't like the idea of gassing inmates.

the guys would try to hold their breath  its not pretty to watch
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2010, 06:16:29 PM »
Again, why not bullets?
Because it appears that people want to de-brutalize the act of executing someone, to pretend that someone isn't put to death. Guns, hanging, decapitation are brutal, while electrocution and lethal injection appears "clean".
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2010, 07:17:55 PM »
I'd rather freeze to death.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2010, 08:21:52 PM »
nitrogen would be okay, I think.

CO might not be bad either.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2010, 08:31:27 PM »
Again, why not bullets?

Utah did that recently, guy was sentenced when firing squads were an option and they had to let him choose.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2010, 08:34:30 PM »
Utah did that recently, guy was sentenced when firing squads were an option and they had to let him choose.
IIRC, they still have a couple of folks on death row who can choose to be executed by firing squad since they were convicted before firing squad as capital punishment was abolished.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2010, 09:30:33 PM »
the guys would try to hold their breath  its not pretty to watch

At the California gas chamber at San Quentin, the warden would recommend to the inmate that they take deep breaths to get it over with as soon as possible.  Trying to hold your breath only prolonged the process.

• friends
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2010, 09:31:55 PM »
but they hold their breath anyway  following directions well and being smart being rare commodity in the death house

zahc

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2010, 10:05:19 PM »
Uh, if they flooded them with nitrogen I don't see why they would hold their breath. It wouldn't really make a difference anyway versus breathing nitrogen, which seems completely normal until you just kind of pass out.

A lot of people don't understand the difference between suffocation and oxygen deprivation, which is why so many people die from going down in holes or silos filled with heavy gasses. People expect to feel *something* if the air is not safe to breath, or they expect a choking sensation, or a suffocation sensation, or some kind of smell, but it doesn't work like that. Since your breathing reflex is triggered by CO2 accumulation, taking breaths of Nitrogen feels just dandy and refreshing as taking breaths of air.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

• friends
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2010, 10:19:08 PM »
a lot of people don't understand the guy they are executing knows its coming  hes not being surprised in a hole or silo