Author Topic: F-22 Raptors are having problems  (Read 13089 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: F-22 Raptors are having problems
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2011, 06:43:32 PM »
What kind of argument is this?

The Osprey spent 18 years from first flight to its formal introduction. 26 if you count from program commencement. And yet it is an amazingly useful thing.

We have been at war all 6 years this aircraft has been in service. It has not been used once in a combat scenario. That doesn't seem off to you?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2011, 06:45:13 PM »
Actually it has.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2011, 07:03:20 PM »
Oh? I'm certainly ready to accept that the story is not accurate, but I'd be interested to hear about the mission and how it performed.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2011, 07:19:24 PM »
Oh? I'm certainly ready to accept that the story is not accurate, but I'd be interested to hear about the mission and how it performed.

Depends what you define as combat.  Missions of critical transport, over enemy occupied territory, yes.  Hot LZ, no.  But then again, the vast majority of aircraft don't do hot LZ missions, and the v-22 wasn't designed for that.

In fact, I have heard from a few people that the v-22 is highly valued as it has the response speed and range to "shrink" countries.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2011, 07:20:50 PM »
Depends what you define as combat.  Missions of critical transport, over enemy occupied territory, yes.  Hot LZ, no.  But then again, the vast majority of aircraft don't do hot LZ missions, and the v-22 wasn't designed for that.

In fact, I have heard from a few people that the v-22 is highly valued as it has the response speed and range to "shrink" countries.

Oh, you're talking about the Osprey. I was still referring to the Raptor, the Osprey was merely Micro's counter.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2011, 09:26:15 AM »
Oh, you're talking about the Osprey. I was still referring to the Raptor, the Osprey was merely Micro's counter.

Ok. We've been at war the whole time the F-22 has been in service.

What enemy fighters have we faced that an air superiority fighter would be necessary, or even useful?

I would guess it hasn't been used in combat because our currently engaged enemies don't have an air force.

We've been at war for 10 years (nearly). What use have our submarines been in that time? Not a single combat action.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2011, 09:32:06 AM »
The Minuteman III has not seen, and, God helping, will never see, combat use.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2011, 10:24:23 AM »

amen
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2011, 11:21:09 AM »
Yeah, best if the MMIIIs never have to be used.  But, I really would have liked to have seen the AIR-2 Genie get a use during, say, Vietnam, GWI, Reagan's pounding of Libya, or what have you.

Operational use of the Genie was discontinued in 1988 with the retirement of the F-106 interceptor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIR-2_Genie
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2011, 12:11:55 PM »
But, I really would have liked to have seen the AIR-2 Genie get a use during, say, Vietnam, GWI, Reagan's pounding of Libya, or what have you.

Hmmm....load up a B1-V interceptor with a brace of those.....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2011, 12:25:17 PM »
We've been at war for 10 years (nearly). What use have our submarines been in that time? Not a single combat action.

*cough*

Our subs have been used for tomahawk strikes in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya, in the last 10 years. The latter of the trio saw the first use of our newly converted Ohio class SSGN, the USS Florida, back in March, where she launched some one hundred Tomhawks against surface targets. All in one sitting.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2011, 12:28:47 PM »
*cough*

Our subs have been used for tomahawk strikes in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya, in the last 10 years. The latter of the trio saw the first use of our newly converted Ohio class SSGN, the USS Florida, back in March, where she launched some one hundred Tomhawks against surface targets. All in one sitting.

Beat me to it :)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2011, 12:56:20 PM »
*cough*

I figured they had been used, but I think the point was understood. :P  :lol:
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2011, 04:28:50 AM »
*cough*

Had a few former shipmates still on AD when this mess started. We expended a bunch of nearing end of life ordinance in a most satisfying manner.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2011, 04:40:38 AM »

Eh.  I don't believe in wall hangers.  A weapon not used is not a weapon but a piece of decoration.  Plenty of hippies we could have expended the Minutemen on. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2011, 07:58:08 AM »
Eh.  I don't believe in wall hangers.  A weapon not used is not a weapon but a piece of decoration.  Plenty of hippies we could have expended the Minutemen on. 

As satisfying in one respect as it might be to launch an ICBM against, say, Berkeley, I'm gonna have to disagree with you.  Deterrence is a valid function.  There are weapons which only ever need to be expended in testing in order to serve their purpose, although having them at the ready in case of need remains a wise choice.  I'm thinking that strategic nuclear weapons fit that category.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2011, 08:55:32 AM »
Deterrence is a valid function. 

Agreed....but sometimes people forget what the deterrent weapon is capable of....hence, demonstrations are necessary....

....Somalia would be a great demonstration area, I think.....   :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2011, 09:00:52 AM »
Agreed....but sometimes people forget what the deterrent weapon is capable of....hence, demonstrations are necessary....

....Somalia D.C. would be a great demonstration area, I think.....   :cool:

FTFY!!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2011, 03:48:11 PM »
Quote from: seeker_two on Today at 07:55:32 AM

....Somalia D.C. would be a great demonstration area, I think.....   cool

FTFY!!
Can we use a Neutron bomb for that place.  I'd hate to destroy all those great monuments and museums.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2011, 07:15:55 PM »
Chances are we aren't going to have time to build the "Arsenal of Democracy" again.  The next war, like the last couple have been, "Run what ya brung"

We can't match the Chinese (or Indians or Russians or Norks) man for man in uniform.  So we have to have the qualitative edge, in both equipment and people.

And we've got to make sure that no one ever gets the notion that we've become "beatable".

Run what ya brung just became a shade more difficult. According to today's news, ALL our F-22s plus ALL the F-35s are currently grounded. They are so grounded that new F-22s can't even be ferry-flown from the factory to the Air Farce. Never mind combat-ready -- they aren't allowed off the ground. Period.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

birdman

• friend
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2011, 07:29:52 PM »
To bad they are manned...the problem is with the oxygen system...