Author Topic: The Losable Knife  (Read 12989 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
The Losable Knife
« on: November 01, 2013, 08:28:12 AM »
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=70307&cat=1,51222

$8.95 for a pack of 5 + S/H (To my zipcode it was $7.95)

For all of you folks who frequently lose your pocket knife because you sat in an easy chair at somebody else's house or at a hotel, or you had it seized at the airport, or you left it in the old trousers you donated to charity, this is the ideal replacement, because the loss of one of these is about the same cost as dropping your paper cup of coffee in the morning.

This stainless-steel knife has all of the features of its more expensive cousins. Surprisingly, the scissors work well, the fingernail file and cleaner can actually file, and the knife blade cuts (but, like most new knives, it can benefit from a bit of honing if you want it razor sharp). The knife is 2-1/4" long by 3/4" wide and weighs 28g (1 oz).

Available only in packages of five. For those women who carry knives in their purses and seldom lose them, a pack of five could be a lifetime supply. For the rest of us, how often we sit in soft chairs will determine our need.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: The Losable Knife
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 11:21:04 AM »
Um, no.

I don't lose my knife.  And I never use folders that lack some sort of blade locking device.  And having seen plenty of $2 knives in the past, I don't trust claims that the blade is even close to being serviceable for sharpening without being heavily ground.  I would expect the "knife" to be about as sharp as the nail file.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 11:22:01 AM »
Um, no.

I don't lose my knife.  And I never use folders that lack some sort of blade locking device.  And having seen plenty of $2 knives in the past, I don't trust claims that the blade is even close to being serviceable for sharpening without being heavily ground.  I would expect the "knife" to be about as sharp as the nail file.

Must be nice to perfect.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 11:27:19 AM »
Must be nice to perfect.

Gerber Paraframes are nice and inexpensive.  And don't suck.  Carry one of those if you lose $50+ dollar knives regularly.

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-22-48485-Mini-Paraframe-Knife/dp/B000KSCEH4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1383319609&sr=8-3&keywords=gerber+paraframe

Cheap knives aren't tools.  They're inherent dangers.

I'd carry a cardboard box cutter before I'd carry this thing.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 11:52:33 AM »
Last year around this time, Wal-Mart had a couple of Gerber knives in a gift tin for Xmas: a mini-paraframe and a larger folding knife.  I waited until they went on clearance for $ 20 and picked up a couple of packages.  The mini-paraframes now live in my survival kit.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 11:56:41 AM »
I have one of those paraframes.  Good knife. 

I don't like knives or leatherman tools that don't have locking mechanisms.  you are just asking for an accident.  Dull knives can give you trouble also as they are more likely to slip off whatever you are cutting, but are sharp enough to cut you. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 11:58:20 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-22-41122-Fine-Edge-Knife/dp/B000MG7FDW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_3
I think this is one I have also.  Very very thin overall and good for pocket carry.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 12:24:58 PM »
Is Gerber still using that godawful powdered steel? Some sort of sintering process, could never get them sharp.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 12:58:10 PM »
I had a Benchmade CQC-7 that I carried for 17 years.  I even took advantage of their lifetime warranty to send it back for a new edge and belt clip (they charged me nothing).  Alas, after one big patio party at a friend's house, it disappeared.  The next morning I was on my hands and knees checking every inch of their backyard.  No more knife.   :'(

I had purchased a Gerber at the PX as backup some time earlier.  I think it's called the Evo; it is one of those clamshell-packed 3" folders with a skeletonized handle.  I paid $20 and it has been perfectly serviceable.   If I lose it I won't be crying over it as much as my $120 Benchmade.

Is Gerber still using that godawful powdered steel? Some sort of sintering process, could never get them sharp.

For the type of steel, I can't speak to this knife.  But it has seen a fair amount of use for common tasks and it is still sharp.

Edit: There it is: http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-22-41432-Titanium-Coated-Serrated/dp/B000G0OMXK/
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 01:03:25 PM by Devonai »
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 02:17:44 PM »
Opinel #6, 7, or 8.
"It's good, though..."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 04:18:46 PM »
Something that came to me in regards to this topic, is the value of a tool that a person routinely loses in the first place.  If you buy a $2 knife because you constantly lose it, chances are you're going to shrug it off next time you lose a knife.

Which means you just shrug it off when you don't have a useful tool handy.  Loose thread on your clothing you need to clip off, or package that needs opening, or whatever... your knife isn't there because you are the type of person that loses a knife frequently.

Frankly, ever since I've transitioned to carrying a knife with some sort of pocket or retaining clip (as opposed to SAK style knives that I carried in HS and college), I've had zero problems with knife loss while carrying.  I may have lost one while moving from one home to another or due to theft while it's out of my pocket, but never from one falling out of my pocket.

One definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.

Like carrying a SAK/Buck/Case style knife?  No pocket clip?  Lose knives frequently?  Maybe you should examine a knife with a retaining clip rather than buying a POS that you don't mind losing.  Or figure out how to retain that type of knife if you're dead-set on carrying one without a pocket clip.  Or go to a belt case.

Because when the chips are down and you need that knife to cut a seat belt after an accident, or some other emergency, if you're carrying a POS that fell out of your pocket yet again, it doesn't matter how many spares you have at home.  The problem isn't the knife: it's not having it in the first place.
--Lysander Spooner

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 05:53:03 PM »
I bought a bunch of $10 made in China" Winchester" branded folders to carry overseas when the only security was our own military checking us when we came back home.  ;/ No sense ditching a nice knife. Was able to sharpen, edge holding not good, lock was ok, but much better if you opened it and jammed a penny size coin behind the liner lock. That's a good trick to use with any cheap liner lock.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 11:03:46 PM »
And here I thought it was going to be about the knife you "lose" when leaving certain events.

AZRedhawk44 makes a very good point - if the knife has little value then a person is more than likely to not take any care of it, which would include bothering to remember to hang on to it.

I've got between 8 & 12 knock-off imitations of the Swiss Army penknife (blade, scissors & nail file/cleaner, tweezers & toothpick).  Every one of them has the blade sharpened as close to razor sharp as possible just to prove it can be done.  I think I've lost one tweezer, and chewed up one toothpick, out of the lot of them.  Most of them were "gimmies" or samples sent to me in hopes I would order a gross or two printed with "Compliments of skidmark" or some such - meaning they are worth about $0.05 each (if that much).  I still have them because I hate to lose any knife.  I cringe a little bit throwing away plastic knives.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 12:09:18 AM »
I like locking knives as much as anyone but I've yet to figure out how, with a sharp knife being used in a manner appropriate to pocketknife cutting, they are likely to close on you.  ???

If you're cutting or slicing, the pressure on the blade is working to hold the knife open.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2013, 12:23:41 AM »
I like locking knives as much as anyone but I've yet to figure out how, with a sharp knife being used in a manner appropriate to pocketknife cutting, they are likely to close on you.  ???

If you're cutting or slicing, the pressure on the blade is working to hold the knife open.

What about stabbing?
"It's good, though..."

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2013, 12:27:00 AM »

What about stabbing?

It's a pocketknife, not a fighting knife. If you need to poke a hole that's a controlled press, not a "stab".

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2013, 12:27:57 AM »
I like locking knives as much as anyone but I've yet to figure out how, with a sharp knife being used in a manner appropriate to pocketknife cutting, they are likely to close on you.  ???

This.

For many years I carried a Case slipjoint. Never had a problem because I know how to use a knife properly.

I do like a locking knife, however, for self defense. I defintley agree on that point.

That said, for a cheap knife the standard Stanley style boxcutter does very well for cheap IMHO. Also back when I worked for walmart we were issued "safety" boxcutters that you had to hold the handle to make the blade pop out. I really liked those knives, especially because they came with a cheap plastic holster with rotating clip and a lanyard. I appendixed carried mine, horizontally, for quick and easy access...exceptionally convienient for use IMHO

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2013, 12:31:39 AM »
I was mis-using an H&K branded folder once to close a 1/4 turn fastener on top of a helicopter. Not a cheapo knife, very sharp, but piss poor liner lock. I was using the back of the tip in the screw slot so pressing it closed. Fat hand disengaged the liner. Bled for two days no matter how tight I wrapped it, serrations sharp. Doh! I will reject a $200 folder on no other basis than having a lock that isn't positive.
AKA Navy Joe   

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2013, 12:46:01 AM »
If you want to buy a cheap junk knife, get the "tactical" folders sitting in that bowl at the gas station or hardware store counter. They are at least large enough to hold in the hand somewhat comfortably.

For many a hundred years I millions of people carried a Case slipjoint. Never had a problem because I know as long as they knew how to use a knife properly.

Word. There's nothing wrong with the traditional slip-joint. You just can't use it all crazy-like. Of course, I've also seen someone cut herself egregiously from a failed lock-back. Mind you, she was batoning it through a stick of wood at the time...

Three knives I've lost:

The Barlow knife of my childhood. Don't remember how.

Cold Steel throwing knife, because I was trying to be cool, carrying it upside-down, shoulder-holster style, hiking in the woods with my bro's.

Cold Steel Large Voyager, that I left sitting on top of my ALICE pack, at Ft. Polk. I don't know if it was stolen, or just fell off when I picked up the pack.

If you lose your knife often enough for this to be an issue, then find a way to carry it that works. For my money, in the pocket, unclipped, is more secure than clipped on to the edge. YMMV

« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 05:37:01 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2013, 03:50:13 AM »
My thought on this:  Not necessarily a 'losable' knife, but a good selection for random gifts.  Thinks like handing out to the scouts of a troop for something, sticking in stockings for christmas, etc...

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2013, 04:06:42 AM »
Friends of the NRA gave me a $1 knife for buying a raffle ticket. After careful inspection I tossed it in the trash. Useless.
AKA Navy Joe   

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2013, 05:30:29 AM »
Friends of the NRA gave me a $1 knife for buying a raffle ticket. After careful inspection I tossed it in the trash. Useless.

This is closer to a $2 knife though, DOUBLE the quality!  ;)

I'll note that 'gift for random adults' isn't what I was really proposing, but more targeted for kids.  Then you can do things with it like teach them how to sharpen it.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2013, 06:22:52 AM »
This is closer to a $2 knife though, DOUBLE the quality!  ;)

I'll note that 'gift for random adults' isn't what I was really proposing, but more targeted for kids.  Then you can do things with it like teach them how to sharpen it.

Dear sweet and fluffy zenu, no!  No if you want them to approach sharpening as an enjoyable thing, let alone as something a bit more possible than starting fire with a stick and fireboard.  Look for old carbon steel kitchen knives at yard sales, flea markets and the like that sell for $1 - $5.  They are usually still in good enough shape that the bevel does not need to be reground, and are big enough to actually be able to get on a stone.  The big plus is that the steel can actually be sharpened.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2013, 12:06:58 PM »

Try cutting something fairly resilient with a SAK or similar non-locking folder.  Like a piece of leather, or very tough rope, or whittling on a branch with fast movement and you hit a knot.  You can over-extend the knife backwards in its socket, and as the knife completes the cut you have now pre-loaded the spring on its joint and it can slap closed.

I hate SAKs for this reason, except for the models that at least include a liner lock for the knife blade.
--Lysander Spooner

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2013, 12:17:06 PM »
Solution: SAK on your keychain for light trimming tasks, and a solid locking folder for serious cutting. That's what I do.
Andy