Author Topic: AR15 Receiver Mold Kit  (Read 13076 times)

birdman

• friend
Re: AR15 Receiver Mold Kit
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2016, 12:06:45 PM »
I'm buying a 5 gallon vacuum degassing chamber ...

Must have been a smart man who recommended getting one for at least resin purposes... =)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2016, 12:09:59 PM »
How much do ya want for it?

Ha !!!  I'm thinking of doing a brass AR lower myself.   I'll practice on some aluminum ones first.   

Normally it gets sorted and reloaded/sold/given away*/recycled.   The recycled stuff may get recycled into a lower or three.

*- I have some friends that reload odd-ball calibers so when I find those, they are given to those friends.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2016, 10:21:37 AM »
Must have been a smart man who recommended getting one for at least resin purposes... =)

Ayep. It's not necessary for layers < 1/8th inch, just run a blow torch over the surface. But very necessary for >1/8th inch.

Semi random question, know of any good light defusing resins or additives?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2016, 06:33:01 PM »
Ayep. It's not necessary for layers < 1/8th inch, just run a blow torch over the surface. But very necessary for >1/8th inch.

Do you want it to be scattering, but translucent?  Glass microspheres or ground glass in a low concentration so as not to make the surface weird.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2016, 07:41:30 PM »
But would the value of the brass out weigh the cost of the shipping?

IIRC, a medium Flat Rate Priority box would hold a custom poured ingot of lead just shy of the 70lb Flat Rate limit.  Always wanted to try that just to see how hard the post office would argue about hauling it for $12.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2016, 08:29:47 PM »
^^^^

I used a flat rate box to mail a piece of railroad track to Guam. The recipient uses it as an anvil for pounding out knives. It was light as far a flat rate boxes go, it came in at about 40 pounds IIRC, the track piece was nearly 12" long. All they had me do was tape it up very securely with duct tape and then covered it with priority mail tape.  It got there just fine, which surprised even me.

bob

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2016, 04:03:53 PM »
Do you want it to be scattering, but translucent?  Glass microspheres or ground glass in a low concentration so as not to make the surface weird.

Ayep

That's what I thought, and ordered. Didn't know if there was something better or cheaper. I bought sample sized lots for bunch of stuff from 70 microns to regular jewelry glass beads. I need to do test pours anyways to test various stains and whatnot. I was eyeing up diamond dust but at a buck a carat, I passed.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2016, 04:17:55 PM »

If your light is exploding, please send me details.  I need a good blaster.