Author Topic: The 10 most dangerous toys of all time  (Read 1897 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The 10 most dangerous toys of all time
« on: December 30, 2006, 06:10:05 AM »
Way too long to paste, so goto the link. I only had 50% of them:

Jarts
Chemistry kit (not the one they showed, but just as deadl... er, cool)
Hammock (still have one)
Creepy Crawlers (that was a way cool toy!)
Cannon (not the Johnny Reb, but similar)

http://www.radarmagazine.com/features/2006/12/toys.php
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: The 10 most dangerous toys of all time
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 07:07:52 AM »
God but do I want the atomic energy lab!!!

I gave Mtnbkr's daughter a "Fairy Wishes Dora" doll for Christmas. It, like the Cabbage Patch cannibal doll, has a motorized mouth that moves when Dora's necklace is pressed.

What's the first thing that Abby did?

Pressed the necklace and stuck her finger in Dora's mouth.

That kid just ain't right...

I had one of those Matell oven things, but it wasn't a creepy crawlers.... IIRC it was a dinosaur type thing... 

I'm really surprised that they didn't have clackers in there, or woodburning kits...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

meinbruder

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 07:12:27 AM »
A friend of mine has a set of Jarts and a Croquet set, both are played by two teams on the same field centered on a formal Rose Garden in his yard.  Yes, good times are still being had by all.

I had a set of Clackers once that exploded in front of my face, the only time Ive ever been glad I wore glasses. 
}:)>
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.....

Da bianhua
}:)>

Dean C

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 07:23:40 AM »
I had 4 of those toys growing up. Wow, I'm lucky I'm still alive.

Anyway, the darringer belt buckle I thought came with my "shoot 'n shell" Fanner 50 and Indian Scout Rifle. Loved those "shoot 'n shells".

dean
Viet Nam Vet
Legion member
WA 2A member

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 07:27:07 AM »
God but do I want the atomic energy lab!!!

See United Nuclear.

My friends had Jarts in the 70s. Great FUN!  Until the stupid kid down the block that nobody liked started throwing them into traffic.

I had one of those Matell oven things, but it wasn't a creepy crawlers.... IIRC it was a dinosaur type thing...

I had one of those too.  Came with little plastic squares that when heated in the "Time Chamber" grew into dinosaurs.  Then you could heat them back up in the chamber and squash them back into little plastic squares.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 07:31:35 AM »
"I had one of those too.  Came with little plastic squares that when heated in the "Time Chamber" grew into dinosaurs.  Then you could heat them back up in the chamber and squash them back into little plastic squares."

YES! EXACTLY!

I couldn't remember any of the particulars, but the little plastic squares and time chamber really brought it back!

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 07:44:58 AM »
Gentlemen, BEHOLD!!!

http://www.snowcrest.net/fox/str.html

One can find just about anything on the Web.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 08:07:24 AM »
That's it!

But where are the plastic squishy dinosaurs?

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 08:22:20 AM »
I, too, had the belt buckle derringer and various shoot-n-shell rifles.  I also had a plastic, battery operated Patton tank that shot plastic shells.  What great fun yet no one really seemed to get hurt. 
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

crt360

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 08:58:28 AM »
I almost forgot the missile shooting Cylon Raider.  I had one of those and plenty of other toys that shot missiles.  I remember playing with the creepy crawlers - I think they were my brothers.  We probably burned ourselves a few times.  I never had Jarts, but most of my friends did.

The atomic energy lab is insane!  I had a pretty cool chemistry set.  Most of those "dangerous toys" pale in comparison to an alcohol burner and jars of toxic, caustic, flammable, explosive stuff.

I bought one of those cheap hammocks when I was in college - it was really crappy, but I'm not sure how people accidentally hung themselves with them.

While these are all fun to look back at, I'm pretty sure the bicycle, skateboard and roller skates would have to rank right at the top of the most dangerous toys of all time.  Every kid I knew got hurt riding a bike or skateboard.
For entertainment purposes only.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 08:59:04 AM »
They missed one:

Where is the Glock Fo-Tay?

grin
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 08:59:25 AM »
I recall throwing yard darts with a 3rd cousin. We were lucky and never got hurt. But we weren't throwign them at each other or over the house.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006, 09:03:59 AM »
What no red ryder bb gun?  All the neighbor kids were getting red ryders and my dad bought me a crossman pump instead.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2006, 09:11:04 AM »
What no red ryder bb gun?

Somewhere in the article they state that they didn't count BB guns and other "obvious" toys of danger. Smiley
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2006, 10:28:13 AM »
Does anyone know where I could find a set of Jarts? My sister really wants a set.

Blog under construction

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2006, 10:56:44 AM »
Who knew hammocks were so deadly?  How funny is that?  "Baby's First Death Cocoon."
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2006, 11:43:37 AM »
I never did get to play with any fun toys.  sad  Tongue
Andy

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2006, 05:21:25 PM »
Back in the early Seventies a friend and I played with Jarts. The game was that the Jarts were our spaceships and we'd throw them up as high as we possibly could. Where they landed was a new planet we had to explore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2006, 05:24:11 PM »
Lawn darts were fun.  I didn't think they were any more dangerous than a real set of horse shoes.  We had one that you could throw at least 60 yards. 

How is this different from all those dart guns and plastic pellet guns my nephew has?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

mfree

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2006, 09:34:19 PM »
Well, let's see... the chemistry set I had when I was a kid was obvious (and did result in explosions).

But the construx blocks... those were a hazard :-p For the uninitiated, construx were made of two components, a beam and a "joint". The beams snapped over little plastic ears on the joints, and there were other little mechanical dongles and widgets, joints with flat ends, joints that hinged, joints that snapped onto "standard' joints and could spin....

Anyhow, that and a bag of rubber bands culminated in a tube-like "crossbow". And before you snicker at the assembly, within ten minutes of nailing down the "final variant" I'd accidentally shot a "bolt" clear through the ceiling into the attic. It was rapidly disassembled, not by choice :-D

I spent the last youthful years tinkering with those making models of reciprocating assemblies and cars with functioning suspension systems... hrmm. Wonder if I can find a tub of them cheaply these days?

EDIT: Just remembered I've still got the old ones... and if I remember right they're completely ragged out.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2006, 11:20:25 PM »
My dad bought my little brother one parts of the radioactive play set.
I tried to explain to dear old dad that radioactive isotopes were a bad
idea but he thought my hair was to long.
I stole them and threw it away.
Dad died real young of all kinds of cancer.
Little brother thinks Guilianni would make a great President.......see!
radioactive toys stink!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2006, 06:08:28 AM »
I had Jarts and the Battlestar Galactica Cylon spacecraft.

I am still physically intact.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2006, 10:16:02 AM »
I believe in giving children firearms, not dangerous toys. angel
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2006, 03:00:57 PM »
What about Bag o' Glass and Bag o' Sulphuric Acid?

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2006, 03:53:28 PM »
I confused bag 'o glass with bag 'o rock candy once. It was bad.