Author Topic: Top 5 MURDERED Franchises  (Read 1754 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Top 5 MURDERED Franchises
« on: May 07, 2022, 12:03:21 PM »
Some may not agree with the order but all 5 make me weep
Hard to watch

Doctor Karen, hadn't heard that one before.

Top 5 MURDERED Franchises
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGeOxeBoJvA

Top 5 Murdered Franchises
Intro: 00:00
Number 5: 00:46 Terminator
Number 4: 03:39 Games of Thrones
Number 3: 07:21 Star Trek
Number 2: 12:16 Star Wars
Honorable Mentions: 17:08
Number 1: 17:49 Dr. Who
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 12:58:10 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Top 5 MURDERED Franchises
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2022, 12:08:21 PM »
TLDW
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2022, 12:11:27 PM »
TLDW

Each part has place marks which make it easy to skip through to each one if you wish
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2022, 12:12:54 PM »
And this right below the video

Top 5 Murdered Franchises
Intro: 00:00
Number 5: 00:46
Number 4: 03:39
Number 3: 07:21
Number 2: 12:16
Honorable Mentions: 17:08
Number 1: 17:49
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2022, 12:49:01 PM »
Just list the movies/ franchises.  In a list.  Maybe a bulleted list. If I've seen one, I can comment on it.  If I've seen none, I'll go on to the next thread.

Chances are excellent that if a franchise is <ahem> "murdered," I didn't or wouldn't like it in the first place, but I never assume my outlook on the <ahem> "entertainment" medium is the same as every one else's.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 05:23:54 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2022, 01:00:38 PM »
Okay
But in my defense I like the suspense sometimes and with the clear video marks it's super easy to skip through.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2022, 01:36:26 PM »
The Terminator and Star Trek digs were particularly good.  :rofl:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2022, 01:49:35 PM »
Aliens has GOT to be on that list.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2022, 02:04:57 PM »

Honorable Mentions
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2022, 02:28:42 PM »
Actually, I thought Aliens was a decent sequel. Alien 3 on the other hand was so bad I thought it would be impossible to make a worse sequel . . . but then along came Alien 4 to prove me wrong. I sort of lost interest when they started doing Alien/Predator crossovers. (Speaking of which, I heard Danny Glover and Ahnold are coming back together as their characters in the first 2 Predator movies to fight Predators again. Geriatric combatants.)

The Rambo movie franchise kept going downhill. Rambo seemed to keep going back in history to re-fight losing battles, but I guess someone drew the line at Rambo 7: Return to Little Big Horn.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2022, 03:32:43 PM »
Actually, I thought Aliens was a decent sequel. Alien 3 on the other hand was so bad I thought it would be impossible to make a worse sequel . . . but then along came Alien 4 to prove me wrong. I sort of lost interest when they started doing Alien/Predator crossovers. (Speaking of which, I heard Danny Glover and Ahnold are coming back together as their characters in the first 2 Predator movies to fight Predators again. Geriatric combatants.)

The Rambo movie franchise kept going downhill. Rambo seemed to keep going back in history to re-fight losing battles, but I guess someone drew the line at Rambo 7: Return to Little Big Horn.
I think most everyone agrees the first two films were great even if they were different types of movies.  I think the really bad stuff was around the last couple of movies.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2022, 05:09:54 PM »

Alien and Aliens were absolutely FANTASTIC movies. As you note, Aliens 3 was an absolutely *expletive deleted*it show. My friend Dave and I saw it and we were both... unhappy.

Everything after that plunged new depths of absolute suck.

I had high hopes for the reboot.... Prometheus was an absolutely GORGEOUS movie. A bit bland, but I had hopes that it would mean good things for the Aliens franchies.

Then Alien: Covenant came in with a bucket of gasoline and a road flare and burned up every last bit of hope and goodwill Prometheus had generated.

When you try to slot Alien:Covenant into the canon... IT MAKES NO GODDAMNED SENSE.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 07:41:46 AM by K Frame »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2022, 05:54:48 PM »
^^^Absolutely agree. My favorite of the series remains Aliens.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2022, 07:10:18 PM »
^^^Absolutely agree. My favorite of the series remains Aliens.

So say we all.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2022, 08:00:44 PM »
And thusly has the hivemind decreed!

(I thought they killed Rambo?)
Blog under construction

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2022, 12:07:03 AM »
That was the book.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2022, 05:07:12 PM »
The franchises had it comin'. They may not have killed film, but they were at least a symptom. (TV is a different story.)

The franchises need to go, if we ever want to see good movies again.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2022, 01:23:29 PM »
The franchises had it comin'. They may not have killed film, but they were at least a symptom. (TV is a different story.)

You WON'T be seeing any more good new movies if the Motion Picture Academy has its way - they've established quotas for not only who acts in a movie, but who works on the movie off-screen as well; producers who want a shot at an Oscar will have a LOT of boxes to check off for race, creed, color, national origin, sexual preference, handicap and who-knows-what in order to be considered. Although the quality of the Oscar nominees has been going downhill for years now (OK, most recent nominees have been reeking piles of excrement) expect things to get even worse. And there will be a lot of pressure on movie makers who don't care about getting an Oscar to check the same DEI boxes.

And thusly has the hivemind decreed!

(I thought they killed Rambo?)
They did. He's better now.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2022, 01:43:40 PM »
I take major issue with Dr. Who being #1.

To be the #1 murdered franchise, it needs to have been at least one of the top 10 most popular.  And it just... wasn't.  It was always lame, low-tier, low production value, lazy Brit-style no consequences and everything resets at the end crap.

There's a lot of truth to this, and I have to admit to feeding this demon when I was younger.  I probably poured thousands of dollars into Star Wars.  Movie tickets, VHS/DVD copies, boxed sets, action figures, books, video games, over 20-25 years.  And the fact that I bought multiple copies of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time books (along with millions of other fans) is exactly what led to Rafe Judkins' trainwreck of a presentation on Amazon.

I remember being so disappointed reading Terry Brooks' Shannara series and then finding out that his Knight of the Word series was not independent of Shannara, it was a prequel environment to Shannara.  I think my inner cynic hatched that day on that realization.

One of my favorite authors that I think is greatly underappreciated today, is Neil Gaiman.  He's prolific, he's entertaining, he's charming, and he's ORIGINAL.  His books don't hook together.  I may be wrong about that, I haven't read everything of his (I now make it a point to not allow a single author to monopolize my reading attention so as to avoid this phenomenon I ascribe to the 80's and 90's). 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2022, 05:02:11 PM »
Doctor Who is one of the longest running TV series in history.  It doesn't have best selling books or top tier movies, but has a lot of fans out there.  I think Nerdrotic is a big fan of it. 

Are the Wheel of Time books a good read?  There seem to be a lot of fans.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2022, 05:37:26 PM »
Doctor Who lost me after David Tennant left the series.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2022, 05:39:43 PM »
Doctor Who is one of the longest running TV series in history.  It doesn't have best selling books or top tier movies, but has a lot of fans out there.  I think Nerdrotic is a big fan of it. 

Are the Wheel of Time books a good read?  There seem to be a lot of fans.
I was never a big fan of Doctor Who - the writing didn't seem up to the standard of old Twilight Zone, Outer Limits or One Step Beyond TV shows.

As for Wheel of Time - several of the early books made a very good read. Devoted fans of the series will probably disagree. but IMHO somewhere in the middle of the series it became apparent that Robert Jordan was getting paid by the word, and fully intended to maximize his return.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2022, 06:26:22 PM »

As for Wheel of Time - several of the early books made a very good read. Devoted fans of the series will probably disagree. but IMHO somewhere in the middle of the series it became apparent that Robert Jordan was getting paid by the word, and fully intended to maximize his return.

I'd rate the first book as mediocre and derivative, but the series picks up intensity and uniqueness from books 2-6.  Book six is amazing.  And after that there's some major PTSD in the main character that needs dealing with, invention of new side-quests (the accusation that Jordan found a money train is a valid one), and some slow-speed maneuvering until we get to the sprint at the end for the last 2 books.  I think it's even fan-agreed that books 7-10 are superfluous and poorly paced.  Possibly even one or two more.  They could certainly be condensed to one or perhaps two books at most.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2022, 07:44:16 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2022, 08:07:38 PM »
I got into Dr. Who about a year into Matt Smith's run as the Doctor, and quite frankly, it was largely because I was really entranced with Amy Pond (Karen Gillan).

Then I suddenly realized... it was REALLY good.

I've watched just about all of the reboot series starting with Christoper Eccleston (whom I did NOT like) all the way to Jodie Whitaker, who I think has done a really good job.

I was really hoping that Idris Elba would be cast as the next doctor -- the man is a freaking monumental talent.

I've not watched a lot of the original series... I've seen a couple of episodes with William Hartnell and a few here and there with other doctors. It's a crime that the BBC allowed so many early episodes to be erased or otherwise destroyed.

But... Dr. Who isn't just a TV series. It's an icon. In some ways it's the British version of M*A*S*H or All in the Family or even Gunsmoke.

If you get that, you get it. If you don't get it, it's just another TV show.