Author Topic: Crappy lifespan of computer monitors?  (Read 775 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Crappy lifespan of computer monitors?
« on: June 01, 2022, 02:57:05 PM »
So my 1/2020 manufacture date and 3/2020 purchase date LG gaming monitor just died, and that replaced a Dell gaming monitor that worked from 2018 to 2010.  I just bought an ASUS Tuf gaming monitor at the recommendation of my son, who has three ASUS monitors, one of which has been in daily use for eight years.

Did I just get a Dell and a LG lemon or is two years doing good for a monitor these days?  I do not leave it on all the time, the monitor goes into sleep mode when the computer does.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
Re: Crappy lifespan of computer monitors?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 03:13:50 PM »
that seems abnormal.

I can't recall the last time I had a monitor go bad.  Several of them are a decade old, but my newest is an AOC curved gaming monitor that is from 2019, and is working fine.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022, 03:21:49 PM »
Definitely abnormal.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 03:43:14 PM »
Abnormal.
Heat.
Remove it.
Small fan(s).
Make sure airflow, vent slots not blocked.< important. dust.
Get it off warm items.

There was a long debate some years ago as to whether it was better for the longevity of e-devices to turn them on and off or to leave them on. 

Leaving them on added to the accumulated life, whereas turning them on and off, with successive expansion and contraction of the connections, etc,  would reduce life span.

Don't know what the  upshot was.  I suppose it's just that more modern devices might not be as sensitive to these effects.

But definitely abnormal.

Bad luck?

But seek physical world problem anyway.

Cure it.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 03:55:25 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2022, 03:49:54 PM »
That's a bit odd.  Are we starting to see another round of crappy capacitors in power supplies?

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2022, 03:51:18 PM »
that replaced a Dell gaming monitor that worked from 2018 to 2010. 

So you're a time-traveling risk manager?
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2022, 03:58:10 PM »
We had a project last year that included a bunch of small monitors. Fully half of them have failed. The supplier said they're having trouble with monitors across the board right now, especially those manufactured in China. He said the monitors made in Taiwan are much more reliable, but I don't recall hime giving brand names. I think there are also some models made in South Korea.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2022, 04:00:02 PM »
Abnormal.  Very seldom do we have LCD monitors crap out.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2022, 04:03:07 PM »
I have had nothing but pleasant experiences with monitors.  From CRT's to LCD's, for the last 25 years.  I don't think I've had one fail, ever.

Currently using an LG 27" 2K resolution 120hz that I've had for about 1 year, prior to that I had a Viewsonic 27" 2K for 6+ years but its refresh rate was low compared to newer stuff and had a lot of blue light glare so I replaced it for eye fatigue reasons.  I've always stayed top-tier with monitors though.  LG, Viewsonic, Samsung.  Never Acer or Spectre or their ilk.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2022, 04:04:46 PM »
So you're a time-traveling risk manager?

That's what registered as abnormal for me.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2022, 04:22:12 PM »
Both of the dead monitors were made in the PRC.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2022, 04:37:24 PM »
I have never had an LCD/LED monitor fail. I still have a spare around here that I've had since at least 2010, if not earlier (was a main monitor, daily use, until I upgraded).

I have almost exclusively used Viewsonic monitors. My current one is an LG that was on sale at Costco a couple of years ago. I will say that this one seems to be glitchy on a dual monitor setup through a docking station. The other monitor on the dock is a Viewsonic and rock solid. This one occasionally spazzes out and goes into power save mode when on the docking station and I have to hit the power button to turn it back on (I have power save turned off).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2022, 04:42:17 PM »
Wow... in the past 12 or so years I've had two LED monitors, and the first one I gave away because I needed to get a larger wide screen monitor for a project I was working on at the time. 

I got the original LED monitor because the CRT I'd had since 1998 fried.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2022, 04:53:05 PM »
That's a bit odd.  Are we starting to see another round of crappy capacitors in power supplies?

Both of the dead monitors were made in the PRC.

That was my first thought.  The PRC is where crappy capacitors are born and raised.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2022, 09:11:51 PM »
My current "monitor" is a 32" Samsung HDTV (1080 resolution.). It does double duty as a TV, has built-in speakers, and the response time is fast enough that I don't have any issues with games. It's nearly 10 years old now, has gotten a lot of use, and seems to be doing just fine.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2022, 02:19:22 PM »
My current monitor is (unfortunately) an AOC brand.  I'm on most nights for 4-5 hours but when the computer is off, so is the monitor, not "sleep" mode.  I'm not sure how old it is as I'm not at home now and can't check but I think it is at least 2+ years as it replaced an old CRT monitor.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2022, 02:26:29 PM »
My monitor at work is now a habitat for some kind of a tiny bug that really like surfing the web. And whatever other applications I have open.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife