Author Topic: Neopronouns?  (Read 896 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Neopronouns?
« on: June 06, 2022, 08:14:28 PM »
I want to say "Are you kidding me?" -- but I know they're not.

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articles/guide-to-neopronouns
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Neopronouns?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 08:27:08 PM »
I want to say "Are you kidding me?" -- but I know they're not.

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articles/guide-to-neopronouns

I really don't care what everyone's silly "neopronouns" are.  If I'm referring to them using a pronoun (other than "you"), they are not a part of the conversation nor are they even present.  So it's none of their f'in' business.  (if they are present while I am talking to someone else, I will refer to them by name)
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 08:31:29 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 09:10:51 PM »
FU C_ _ _  is reasonably gender neutral.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2022, 09:59:31 PM »
I have a few I reserve for special occasions and unpleasant encounters, like s***head, penisbreath, a**hole, etc. Most would be familiar to all, but are beyond the scope of decent dialogue between civilized people.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2022, 10:58:08 PM »
I really don't care what everyone's silly "neopronouns" are.  If I'm referring to them using a pronoun (other than "you"), they are not a part of the conversation nor are they even present.  So it's none of their f'in' business.  (if they are present while I am talking to someone else, I will refer to them by name)

I note you have chosen to use "them" as a gender neutral singular pronoun here.

I loathe that "them" has morphed from a plural-exclusive pronoun to a genderless single pronoun.  Honestly, it's ground I refuse to yield.

I still stand on this ground:

Pronouns are a form of shorthand used by Party A, when talking to Party B, about Party C.  The intent when using pronouns is for Party B to understand what Party A is saying.  The feelz of Party C do not come into the equation, and cannot.  Pronouns are for fast transactions, not lengthy contracts and intimate associations.  When Party A needs Party B to pick up the bag that belongs to Party C, then A will say "Go pick up his bag and hand it to him."  Doesn't matter what Party C is, really.  It's just "get the thing and give it to the owner."  Could be Pat from SNL, could be a dude with leg hair sticking out his panty hose while wearing a tube top, could be a butch shaved head chick with a sock stuffed in her crotch for a bulge.  A and B don't give a flying *expletive deleted*ck about C's feelings, and don't need to.  They just need to give C his stuff to get him moving on his way.

The direct or indirect object has no say in the use of 3rd person pronouns between the first and second person participants of the conversation.

In short, pronouns are just like the old joke:  "This is a conversation between A and B.  You can go ahead and C your way out of the conversation."
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2022, 11:10:54 PM »
^^^ Well said, Sir.

Beyond that, the English language has always had a perfectly functional gender-neutral, singular pronoun: "It."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2022, 11:31:56 PM »
I note you have chosen to use "them" as a gender neutral singular pronoun here.

I loathe that "them" has morphed from a plural-exclusive pronoun to a genderless single pronoun.  Honestly, it's ground I refuse to yield.

I still stand on this ground:

Pronouns are a form of shorthand used by Party A, when talking to Party B, about Party C.  The intent when using pronouns is for Party B to understand what Party A is saying.  The feelz of Party C do not come into the equation, and cannot.  Pronouns are for fast transactions, not lengthy contracts and intimate associations.  When Party A needs Party B to pick up the bag that belongs to Party C, then A will say "Go pick up his bag and hand it to him."  Doesn't matter what Party C is, really.  It's just "get the thing and give it to the owner."  Could be Pat from SNL, could be a dude with leg hair sticking out his panty hose while wearing a tube top, could be a butch shaved head chick with a sock stuffed in her crotch for a bulge.  A and B don't give a flying *expletive deleted*ck about C's feelings, and don't need to.  They just need to give C his stuff to get him moving on his way.

The direct or indirect object has no say in the use of 3rd person pronouns between the first and second person participants of the conversation.

In short, pronouns are just like the old joke:  "This is a conversation between A and B.  You can go ahead and C your way out of the conversation."

I was careful to use plural "everyone" and "are" to avoid the new "singular they" issue.  Did I mess that up; perhaps switched context in mid-sentence?  For singular non-specific-gender pronouns I use he/him/his, unless I can finagle it to use the pronoun "one" (which I like.)
"It's good, though..."

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2022, 10:08:23 AM »
^^^ Well said, Sir.

Beyond that, the English language has always had a perfectly functional gender-neutral, singular pronoun: "It."

"It" fills the bill.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2022, 11:44:35 AM »
I was careful to use plural "everyone" and "are" to avoid the new "singular they" issue.  Did I mess that up; perhaps switched context in mid-sentence?  For singular non-specific-gender pronouns I use he/him/his, unless I can finagle it to use the pronoun "one" (which I like.)

Your "if" statement at the end of your post used "them" as a singular pronoun.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2022, 05:18:06 PM »
"It" fills the bill.

Woody
It will also keep away those pesky Knights who formerly said 'Knee' (or whatever it was). 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2022, 06:50:30 PM »