Author Topic: The best way to pet a strange dog...  (Read 443 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
The best way to pet a strange dog...
« on: June 08, 2022, 06:45:58 AM »
For those of us who are dog people, this isn't anything we don't know.

Everyone else on the planet needs to read it, and read it again, and then read it right before they approach a strange dog.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-right-way-to-pet-a-dog-according-to-veterinarians?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Just about every time Seren meets someone new I have to immediately tell them "scratch her UNDER the chin... UNDER!," even if they have a dog of their own because they're always trying to scratch the top of her head. She's VERY head shy with strangers (even with me at times) yet people keep boring in trying to scratch her ears as she's pulling away.

Stoopid pink monkeys...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: The best way to pet a strange dog...
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 09:34:33 AM »
I guess I have come across dogs that are head shy like you say.  Usually I just try to meet them first, let them sniff my hand and such.  Some dogs will knock you down wanting to be pet, and some dogs are shy and will keep their distance until they know you better. 

When I delivered pizzas in high school, it was hard to find a dog that didn't like me.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 09:56:32 AM »
I do the, "put my closed hand out and let the dog decides where he wants it" thing myself. Some dogs won't approach, some dogs just sniff it and are fine with me not touching them, and others nuzzle my hand. My hunting buddy's lab, while we're in the blind, will constantly nuzzle my hand to the top of her head and make me pet her there.

Steve, I think, is one of the dogs that is not comfortable with a hand straight to the top of the head. Even with me, he nuzzle directs me to scratch under his chin. Though people he knows get to pet him wherever. He's actually not very affectionate in that regard, though he loves being around people. He will take a little petting, then he wants "hands off".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2022, 10:12:09 AM »
"Stupid pink monkeys."

Thass raciss !

I'm reporting  you to AWDLOUIRC, the "Anything We Don't Like Or Understand Is Racist Committee."

I'm sure AWDLOUIRC will contact you soon to assign you  to a mandatory re-eduation workshop.

Dog-greeting wise, I let a strange dog come to me.  A couple of years ago a lady TV anchor was interviewing a dog owner and tried to kiss the guy's dog and got bitten in the face, right there on live TV.  Tore up her mouth.  Not good for a career which involves facial attractiveness.  She was reconstructed, but if you knew about it in advance, the repairs were noticeable.  Dog owner:  "He's never done that before,  He likes people."

I didn't do too deep a search, but it would appear the clip of the incident has been cleansed from the earth.

Maybe she had  hot dogs on her breath.

Anyhow, like I said, I let dogs come to me.  I just don't like their penchant for butt sniffing, but that's a dog's
way of getting to know you.

Terry, 230RN

REF (Obligatory):
https://youtu.be/SXn2QVipK2o (1:17)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 10:27:59 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2022, 10:32:41 AM »
Due to the nature of my job, I meet a lot of outdoor dogs on farms. Dog usually greets me before the farmer does.

I typically let the dog come up to my vehicle, I roll down the window, remove my sunglasses and say Hiya Killer. I call every dog I don't know the name of as Killer.

Next I open the vehicle door and let the dog sniff my leg, then I extend my hand palm open in the general direction of the dog and let them come up to sniff. If all is good, I always give a good rub under the chin then to the jaw. Usually by then the dog has buried their head into my leg or lap. Also by then the farmer usually says the dog is friendly after I established a connection.

I've only had one farm dog that ever a problem, a female Rottweiler named Hondo, even the owner said the dog wasn't right in the head. Dog wasn't a bite threat, just really standoffish, territorial and buffaloed a lot. Hondo finally did come up to me for a good chin rub, but 2 minutes later she was an ahole again.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2022, 10:43:01 AM »
New neighbors have two dogs, a lab and a lab mix. First couple of times they saw me, they barked their fool heads off. Now, they come up to the fence, and I'll usually go up to them, talk to them, and let them sniff the back of my hand . . . after which I scratch them under their chin(s). They seem to like it, and they hardly ever let loose with more than one "yip" (if that) when they see me.

I just want to keep on friendly terms with them, because I KNOW that with two young kids in the house, eventually they'll get out through an unlatched gate . . . and when they're running up to me, I'm confident they'll be friendly and just come over to give me a doggy "HI!"

I get along with almost all dogs, but another neighbor had some sort of mutt that always growled and snarled at me - not in a friendly way! Had that dog ever gotten loose and come running at me, that would probably have been the end of him.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 06:02:07 PM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2022, 04:19:15 PM »
My Mother's dog will bark at me until go hug my Mom.  She figures it is her job to raise the alarm and won't shut up until then. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2022, 05:19:18 PM »
Can't remember who taught me this, but I was taught to offer a dog the back of my hand, fingers closed in a light fist, to smell before petting.  Reason, you can move that away quickly and not end up with a finger in the pup's mouth. Advice has served me well, especially with dumb ass owners who promise their dog is friendly...but it isn't.  Beyond that, dogs are like any other creature...some like ear scratches, some prefer under the chin.  Watch for reactions and adjust accordingly.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark