Author Topic: Can warped boards be straightened?  (Read 11438 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Can warped boards be straightened?
« on: June 27, 2010, 12:01:12 AM »
I have in my new backyard a privacy fence made of lengths of 1" x 6" boards. They might be redwood, or maybe they're just stained to look like it. I haven't inspected them that closely.

There's a few that have warped at the top or bottom and come loose from the structure. Rather than try to make new ones or look for existing ones to match, I'm wondering if the boards can be submerged in water to soften them, then be fasted back on. I'm thinking that doing this might "warp" them straight.

Of course, I know next to nothing about working with wood. Could this work?

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Can warped boards be straightened?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 12:09:05 AM »
Sure -- until they dry out again. They warp because the grain isn't symmetrical. There's a possibility this fix might hold for long term, but the best repair is to replace. When doing paneling that we really don't want to see warp, we cut a few kerfs in the back (hidden) side, leaving a thinner face so any warpage doesn't have as much force to pull on the fasteners. But that only works where the back side is concealed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 12:36:35 AM »
But that only works where the back side is concealed.

Around here every house has a fence, so the side facing away from our yard is obscured by the neighbors' fences. So the the kerfs might work.

But what's a kerf? ;)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 12:44:51 AM »

But what's a kerf? ;)

'Frek' spelled backwards.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 12:49:08 AM »
sknaht.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 02:14:08 AM »
Around here every house has a fence, so the side facing away from our yard is obscured by the neighbors' fences. So the the kerfs might work.

But what's a kerf? ;)

It's just a groove, a sawcut that only goes 1/3 to 1/2 of the depth of the board.

A kerf will also weaken the board. If you want to try it, I'd suggest doing your wetting and straightening first, then use a Skilsaw to cut a couple of lengthwise "kerfs" before you nail or screw the boards back in place. Use screws -- they're much more resistant to pull-out. If you cut the kerfs first, the boards might break along the cuts when you try to straighten them.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 09:33:28 AM »
But what's a kerf? ;)

You're from the land of Paul Bunyan, and you don't know kerf?   :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 09:45:26 AM »
There's a few that have warped at the top or bottom and come loose from the structure. Rather than try to make new ones or look for existing ones to match, I'm wondering if the boards can be submerged in water to soften them, then be fasted back on. I'm thinking that doing this might "warp" them straight.

The best way to do that would be to get something very straight and strong, like maybe a hardwood 6x6 of the right length, steam the boards, and clamp them to the straight piece until they dry.  Use a few spacers, so you're actually overbending the warped boards slightly, so that when they spring back on being released, they'll be straight.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 10:02:21 AM »
kerf n. A groove or notch made by a cutting tool, such as a saw or an ax. The width of a cut made by a cutting tool.  The transverse distance between the offsets of the teeth of a saw.  Can also be applied to the width of a torch cut.  Usage: "Don't use a torch to cut kerfs in the backs of your fence boards."

from wiki: # Kerf: Width of the saw cut. On most saws the kerf is wider than the saw blade because the teeth are flared out sideways (set). This allows the blade to move through the cut easily without getting stuck (binding). However, some saws are made so that the teeth have no set on one side. This is done so that the saw can lie flat on a surface and cut along the surface without scratching it. These are referred to as flush cutting saws. Although the term kerf is often used to refer to the width of the saw blade, it actually means the width of the cut, which is affected by the width of the blade, the amount of wobble created during cutting, and the amount of material pulled out of the sides of the cut. This distinction can be important because the use of a blade that is too thin can result in excessive wobble and a wider kerf.

For steel in a lathe:

(Credit: http://www.mini-lathe.com/mini_lathe/operation/Parting/parting.htm)

The kerf is obvious here, though it's very close to the width of the cutter.

There.  That orta do it.

Ha.  Now you guys got me interested in the word's origins, so look out!

Terry, 230RN

(saw kerf diagram also from the wiki article.)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 10:29:13 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 10:53:03 AM »
You're from the land of Paul Bunyan, and you don't know kerf?

The land of Paul Bunyan is Brainerd, MN. I'm from Milwaukee, the land of beer and brats.

Thanks for the replies. This sounds simple enough but, with my ability to really mess up woodworking projects, I expect the boards to all crack in half.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 11:18:20 AM »
The land of Paul Bunyan is Brainerd, MN. I'm from Milwaukee, the land of beer and brats.

My apologies.  The "kerf" is (among other things) the notch cut in the trunk of a tree, in the direction it is intended to fall.  When using a chain-saw, the kerf is also the wooden wedge that is removed from said notch. 

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 12:24:27 PM »

Thanks for the replies. This sounds simple enough but, with my ability to really mess up woodworking projects, I expect the boards to all crack in half.

One thing I love about these forums is the vast quantities of available wisdom.

I now know where Paul Bunyan is from, what a "kerf" is, and that Wisconsin is full of fat drunks. :P =D
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 12:36:37 PM »
I now know where Paul Bunyan is from, what a "kerf" is, and that Wisconsin is full of fat drunks.

I knew 2 out of 3 before reading this thread.   =D

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 12:51:55 PM »

I thought that was swarf
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2010, 12:52:51 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2010, 01:33:10 PM »
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

sanglant

• friend
just a thought
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2010, 02:35:01 PM »
if your willing to invest enough cash, you could stabilize them. meaning using a vacuum pull epoxy through the grain. but i have never heard of anyone setting up to do pieces that size. :angel: maybe some thin CA glue soaked in from the unfinished side?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2010, 03:36:07 PM »
He said "warped", not "Worfed". :P

I think that picture counts for both.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2010, 04:34:32 PM »
I thought that was swarf

Swarf is the stuff that was in the kerf.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2010, 06:59:08 PM »
One thing I love about these forums is the vast quantities of available wisdom.

Sadly, not much of it is useful..... =D ;)

My college roommate was from Brainerd, MN.  One of the previous jobs listed on his resume was "Operated Largest Talking Animation in the World, the 26ft tall Paul Bunyan at the entrance of Paul Bunyan Land."
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2010, 09:21:46 PM »
A kerf is where sawdust comes from  :laugh:

This topic is a good springboard for conversation.  =D

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2010, 11:58:47 PM »
Student of Forestry here, more than likely the board will return to its warped shape. Check out this paper on some wood geek. http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf1987/maegl87a.pdf
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2010, 10:03:29 AM »

a proper installation with the right materials is dimensionally stable,
It's hard to fix something that wasn't installed correctly.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2010, 10:05:33 AM »
:D:D:D

OK, I'll try it on just a couple of boards to see if it works. That is, I'll try it on a couple of boards in a couple of months when it's not in the 90's and humid. ;)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2010, 01:21:03 PM »
even the most warped board can be made straight if he lets God into his heart. :angel:
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."