Author Topic: Catalytic converter question  (Read 8708 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Catalytic converter question
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2010, 12:58:11 AM »
Could be.  My 07 F150 took some getting used to.  I understand most of the performance programmers do a decent job of eliminating the lag time.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

KPT

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2010, 01:05:36 AM »
Code is P0430 "catalyst system efficiency bellow threshold bank 2"

It has upstream on downstream o2 sensors, so I would have to change both to rule them out.

I really doubt the cat is bad. Most of the time the O2 sensor is bad. You don't have to do anything with the upstream O2's, they're fine. Swap the downstreams. I'll bet the code changes to bank 1.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2010, 05:09:12 PM »
I really doubt the cat is bad. Most of the time the O2 sensor is bad. You don't have to do anything with the upstream O2's, they're fine. Swap the downstreams. I'll bet the code changes to bank 1.

My interpretation was "bank 1" was the driver's side bank of cylinders, and "bank 2" was the passenger side bank.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2010, 07:26:23 PM »
My interpretation was "bank 1" was the driver's side bank of cylinders, and "bank 2" was the passenger side bank.

Correct.

Efficiency threshold warnings are usually initiated by the downstream O2 sensor.  It is telling you that it is detecting post-cat levels outside the normal range.  You can try spinning in a new 02 sensor and see if that works but, given the mechanical history, I'd still put money on the converter being toast.

You'll want to spin in new sensors anyway.  Might as well try that first before replacing the converter.  If it fixes it, great.  If not, you needed the sensors anyway and can use them with the new converter assembly.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2010, 09:26:23 PM »
So I happened to stop by a parts store that I frequent by work to check the price for a cat.
The owner suggested giving this cleaner stuff a try. http://www.catacleanus.com/index.html#
I not one of much to fall for the snake oil crap but....
Before he got it for the store he put a bottle in his daughters camery with a clogged up cat and it worked.
So I just need to drive it around some more to get the gas tank down to less than 4 gallons.
I keep you posted. If it doesn't I'll try the downstream o2 sensor on that side first.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2010, 09:47:41 PM »
"Clogged up cats" are not what they used to be.  In days of yor when leaded fuel was still available it was possible to clog a pellet-type converter with lead.  Now, not so much.  If the converter is clogged it's because something has physically blocked the converter matrix (debris, and not likely unless the engine is coming apart internally) or the ceramix matrix has collapsed (what happens when it gets too hot and begins to crumble).

If your converter is truly clogged then there's no Super Potion Juice on the planet that will fix it.  It'll take less time to replace the sensor than to go fill up with gas and "Wonder Juice" (or should if it's a downstream sensor).  Go ahead and buy all of them.  You need them anyway given your mileage.

Be sure to unhook the battery while changing the sensors.  That should clear any problem codes and force the computer to do a new learning cycle with the new sensors in place.

Brad
-HankB