Author Topic: Truck gurus! (especially Dodge Diesel Gurus)  (Read 7551 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Truck gurus! (especially Dodge Diesel Gurus)
« on: August 20, 2011, 03:57:53 PM »
SWMBO and I have the opportunity to buy a 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 with 60,000 miles on it for about $7k.  The guy is in a hurry to sell, it's about $600 below blue book for the condition it's in.  Cummins Turbo Diesel, 5.9L I6 12 valve.  The only downside (for me anyways) is that it's an automatic instead of a manual transmission. 

We've been looking at trucks for a while and this one basically just landed in our lap, but we need to move pretty quick as the guy is needing the money. 

Any major (or minor) pitfalls I need to be aware of for this particular rig? 
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Truck gurus! (especially Dodge Diesel Gurus)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 04:01:38 PM »
It's a Dodge.  Go for it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 04:11:49 PM »
My FIL has the exact same truck one model year newer (but he has the manual tranny and 4x4) and I absolutely love driving it.  So I'm used to the truck and the size of it...  We're definitely leaning towards buying this rig.  :D

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 04:14:20 PM »
I've got a '97 Dakota with a manual that I really like.  It's going to replaced eventually by another Dakota, a newer model with the V8 and 4wd this time.  While I'd like a bigger Dodge Ram, the Dakota fits my needs pretty well.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 04:17:58 PM »
Check for tire wear.  For the most part, they are very solid trucks but front-end work can be expensive.

If I were looking for a Diesel pickup, it would be a nineties Dodge like this one.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 04:19:14 PM »
Yeah, I remember seeing your truck when we met up for that rocketry event down your way.   I'm pretty stoked about this rig.  It's in just about showroom condition according to SWMBO's uncle.  That nice dark Hunter Green color with a silver pinstripe, so it's a nice looking truck too...  Canopy, spray in bedliner, and carpet kit over the bedliner.  So it hasn't been abused by being overloaded with rock or dirt...

The tires are pretty much brand new, and tire wear seems even all the way around.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 04:47:10 PM »
If the Cummins has the mechanical fuel injection pump, I would say go for it.  =)

We had a 94 Cummins wildland fire engine that was great, until it committed suicide by rolling down a hill.

I know folks with the newer electronic fuel injection pump that have had to replace the thing a couple times, at about $3000 a whack  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 04:57:36 PM »
I'll check that, but I believe this is the mechanical pump...

ETA:  yep, this year still had the Bosch mechanical fuel injector pump....
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 05:04:31 PM by AmbulanceDriver »

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 05:04:09 PM »
I personally have a ford. Buttt....
The 12 valve motor is bullet proof. You will replace the truck 3 times around the motor.
Plus there pretty easy to hop up. A friend of mine has one making about 650hp at the wheels.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 05:09:17 PM »
I personally have a ford. Buttt....
The 12 valve motor is bullet proof. You will replace the truck 3 times around the motor.
Plus there pretty easy to hop up. A friend of mine has one making about 650hp at the wheels.

HOLY CRAP! 650hp at the wheels?  That's roughly 3 times the rated hp for that engine.  What'd he do (besides increase fuel consumption something fierce)?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 05:23:17 PM »

My impression of the fire truck was that it really need a truck to go with the engine (especially the parking brake :( ).

After driving it back here from Missoula, I got the definite impression that it wouldn't be to hard to break a driveline or axle just by romping on the diesel pedal, especially off-road in low range with a ton of water on the back.  I actually warned everyone about that.

What we didn't know is that the parking brake would pop and it would jump a 6" tall chock  :O

I used to run a Clark 666 skidder with that same basic engine.  It just had a way bigger oil pan.

We now have a 2008 (?) quad cab.  Nice truck but I hate the lack of visibility driving it.  You can't hardly see over the hood. :(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 07:05:11 PM »
Does it come with complimentary truck nutz and road rage?

:-*
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 07:42:31 PM »
I was wondering how long the truck nutz were gonna stay out of this thread.....  :D

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 07:58:18 PM »
I was wondering how long the truck nutz were gonna stay out of this thread.....  :D

Heck, he pretty well invited the truck nutz here....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 08:24:32 PM »
Bullet proof engine,  like the rest said.  Almost as much aftermarket stuff as a small block Chevy.  The motor will outlast the rest of the truck itself several times over,  including the trans (repeatedly).  Shame it's not a manual, but otherwise awesome truck.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
I would say jump on it, especially at that price.

Personally, I prefer my Duramax, but you won't find one of those anywhere near that price.  The Dodge will do.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2011, 11:16:42 PM »
Well, here's the pics of the new truck.  Should be landing in our driveway in a couple of weeks (my wife's aunts are coming up for a family visit, so they offered to bring it up then)

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2011, 11:27:07 PM »
Good looking rig!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 01:08:59 AM »
Yeah,  we're really excited to get it up here...

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 06:08:08 AM »
Nice rig....you'll enjoy it....  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2011, 10:43:25 AM »
Is that 2wd or 4wd  ???

Either way, it doesn't look like you'll be taking it off road much  ;)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2011, 11:24:47 AM »
it's 2wd.  That's one of the two things that I was disappointed on about this truck (the other being it's an automatic transmission, but at least that way SWMBO can drive it). 

We aren't big off-road types anyways, but there are times when 4wd is handy to have....

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2011, 12:54:17 PM »
it's 2wd.  That's one of the two things that I was disappointed on about this truck (the other being it's an automatic transmission, but at least that way SWMBO can drive it). 

We aren't big off-road types anyways, but there are times when 4wd is handy to have....

Where we live out in the boonies, a 2wd is about worthless if it rains very much.

OTOH, when we still live in western CO, I got to where I didn't care much about 4wd and didn't own one anymore.  Even back roads had enough rocks that they weren't bad when wet, and in the winter it stayed so cold that you didn't have to worry much about ice.  We had an old 2wd Suburban that we went practically everywhere with - just had to watch out for bog holes up in the back country, and even those will stick a 4wd about half the time.

4wd is highly over-rated and really unnecessary for the vast majority of people.

But these days it's become almost standard equipment.  ;/

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2011, 07:08:52 PM »
I rarely used the 4WD in my old F150, but this diesel makes the truck so front heavy that I've been stuck in my own driveway after a rain.  I could get out with 2WD, but why make a big mess?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2011, 08:36:24 PM »
I rarely used the 4WD in my old F150, but this diesel makes the truck so front heavy that I've been stuck in my own driveway after a rain.  I could get out with 2WD, but why make a big mess?

Well, that's an interesting thing to note.  =|

Never owned a diesel pickup, myself.  Had an old Cat, though.

Even my log truck was gas (GMC V6).