Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 2659 times)

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Gardening
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2006, 12:17:27 PM »
Those of you who've ever had zucchini squash in your garden know exactly what happened next.
Old gardener's proverb. Never plant zucchini unless you have lots of friends.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Gardening
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2006, 01:16:58 PM »
Quote from: Brad Johnson
So Larry, when you need help keeping all those pesky garden-eating critters at bay do you call Whittington and have them send over a few folks with some .50's?
Nah.  Me and my .17 HMR take care of them.  Last year we had a buck deer in the garden.  He was eating the bindweed between the rows.  Maybe that says something about my gardening?

when we get zucchinis that are too big, we either throw them over the fence to the neighbor's cows, or feed them to the chickens.

InfidelSerf

• friend
Gardening
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2006, 05:52:36 AM »
Larry, I'd love to see some pics of your garden if you get a chance.
I always "think" about starting a nice one. But I'm terrible with vegitation.

It always seems like I have time to start one when it's not the right time to be starting.

Sometimes something so simple can seem rather complicated.  

So rather than digging up a spot in the yard I'm thinking of cutting my teeth with a small collection of pots.
I figure it will be easier to get started tending them in pots on the deck.

Perhaps Zuccini would be a good plant to boost my gardening confidence.  Besides fried zuccini sticks with ranch dip is the best Smiley

I would like to extend this thread a bit and try to learn a bit more about the APS green thumb's, configurations.  Equipment used, etc.

To me the most complicated aspect of gardening seems to be the timing.. knowing when to plant what and where.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Sawdust

• friend
Gardening
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2006, 06:24:24 AM »
Zucchini literally kept me alive during my college days; I had a garden that sustained me for the last two years of my engineering education - I would've starved without it.

How do y'all keep the critters away? Last year my tomatoes at my new house were decimated by (I think) ground squirrels. I've been thinking that the only way I can garden again is to go raised bed with some kind of removable screen structure.

Man, I'm glad APS still exists; I need the relief from the craziness that is THR of late...

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Gardening
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2006, 06:52:11 AM »
To me the most complicated aspect of gardening seems to be the timing.. knowing when to plant what and where.
Not really complicated.  It varies by zone, of course (I'm in Southern Colorado) but here's a few simple guidelines:

Late fall or early spring, October 15 until say April 15:  onions and garlic go in.  You can plant them as soon as you can work the ground.

Early plants such as sweet peas, lettuce, any cabbage family plant and a few others need to go in by April 15, earlier if possible.  A freeze won't generally hurt these plants.

The rest of the garden should go in when the ground temps reach about 55 degrees, around here about May 5th or so.  I've held off until Memorial Day with good results.  This is the time to plant pepper and tomato plants and seeds for all your bean, flower, cucumbers, squash and melon plants.  Remember this though; when planting tomato plants, bury about 80% of the plant.  Tomatoes will grow roots wherever the stem touches soil.  At this point, you are going for strong root systems.  The top growth will come soon enough.

If you plant sweet corn, plant a batch every ten days from around May 5th up until July 4th if you want that much.  This will keep you in fresh corn from around July 20th clear into October.

Some plants, like carrots ad radishes, can be planted anytime from spring until mid-summer.  They make a good follow up crop after your early spring plants are gone.

edited because I can't type

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Gardening
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2006, 11:30:03 AM »
So, Steve...

How were the 'maters? Smiley