Author Topic: Russia's Dyatlov Pass Incident  (Read 5646 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Russia's Dyatlov Pass Incident
« on: June 23, 2013, 12:22:43 PM »
I stumbled upon this very interesting read about a Russian expedition, found dead in two groups under bizarre conditions and with, in some cases, inexplicable injuries. There seem to be various theories, from the plausible to the not so plausible, but apparently to this day, no concrete evidence of what could have happened.

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/dyatlov-pass-incident-strangest-unsolved-mystery
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Russia's Dyatlov Pass Incident
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 12:32:54 PM »
Weird
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 01:01:29 PM »
A Donner Party parallel with an X-File twist ...... [tinfoil] [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 01:02:41 PM »
One of the forums where I hang out has an entire subforum devoted to this.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 02:32:54 PM »
I thought this was an interesting comment:

D R Randy Stidom · Works at The place that gives me a paycheck
February 2, 1959. On this same night, Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, the Big Bopper, and pilot Roger Peterson took off in a plane and died. Two stories on the same night on opposite sides of the Earth and the simple truth for both will never be known.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 03:10:48 PM »
Um the buddy holly crash is pretty damn simple/understandable...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 04:06:22 PM »
Um the buddy holly crash is pretty damn simple/understandable...

But, there was a coin toss involved!  The implications, man, the implications!   [tinfoil]
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 04:31:25 PM »
I read this one to dad (he LOVES this kind of stuff)

"It was Yetis!"

or (and this I should have predicted)

"The natives called it the Mountain of the Dead. Maybe it was the living dead! Zombies!"
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 05:31:22 PM »
Norwegian Nazi zombies. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1278340/
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 12:18:11 AM »
Russian hippies, bad drugs.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 12:45:00 AM »
Russian hippies, bad drugs.

It was just a case of hypothermia delirium a subset of which is known as paradoxical undressing, sometimes the hypothermia screws up the hypothalamus and you start stripping, either because you "feel" unbearably hot, or it makes the clothing feel unbearably restrictive.

There's dozens of other documented cases of paradoxical undressing in other countries. And RKL is onto something, because most of them involve drugs or alcohol as contributing factors to the hypothermia.

The damage to the campsite was from an avalanche, (I'd sure as hell "rip my tent open from the inside to get out of there, or maybe the air-pressure just burst the tent...) that might have been the event that caused the hypothermia and the broken bones in the group in the first place, or perhaps it happened afterward and is what scattered the campsite around.

The one woman who lost her tongue probably did to a scavenging animal.

The radiation and "lights in the sky" part is just bull****, that got added onto the story urban-legend style.

I promise not to duck.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 12:48:06 AM »
It was just a case of hypothermia delirium a subset of which is known as paradoxical undressing, sometimes the hypothermia screws up the hypothalamus and you start stripping, either because you "feel" unbearably hot, or it makes the clothing feel unbearably restrictive.

There's dozens of other documented cases of paradoxical undressing in other countries. And RKL is onto something, because most of them involve drugs or alcohol as contributing factors to the hypothermia.

The damage to the campsite was from an avalanche, (I'd sure as hell "rip my tent open from the inside to get out of there, or maybe the air-pressure just burst the tent...) that might have been the event that caused the hypothermia and the broken bones in the group in the first place, or perhaps it happened afterward and is what scattered the campsite around.

The radiation and "lights in the sky" part is just bull****, that got added onto the story urban-legend style.

Yeah, there was something on the Science channel (a Dark Matters episode, maybe?) about this incident, and IIRC that's pretty much the exact same explanation they had for what happened.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 02:01:52 AM »
The Blair Witch.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 09:23:13 AM »

I was reading other accounts yesterday, and one of them gave the woman's condition in more detail. It said she was also missing both eyes and part of her face. That sounds like the work of buzzards.

The still inexplicable stuff, if factual, is the irradiated clothing and the russkies classifying the investigation.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 09:50:35 AM »
I was reading other accounts yesterday, and one of them gave the woman's condition in more detail. It said she was also missing both eyes and part of her face. That sounds like the work of buzzards.

The still inexplicable stuff, if factual, is the irradiated clothing and the russkies classifying the investigation.
A toxic waste disposal site hidden out there?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2013, 11:00:32 AM »
I don't buy the avalanche-->hypothermia theory.

It would have either buried them hopelessly, or else as experienced mountaineers they would have dug themselves out and salvaged what they could before trying to get down the mountain.  Not likely that all nine would have the exact same stage of hypothermia at the same time even under similar conditions.  Something else made them flee the camp.  =|

The hypothermia stripping thing usually happens at the end stage.  After conserving heat for some length of time, the body suddenly gives up and lets go the blood from the core into the extremities which creates the "hot flash" symptom.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 05:20:39 PM »
I recall reading a much more extensive article on the incident a few years ago. IIRC, that article didn't attempt to reach any conclusions, and it certainly didn't attribute the whole thing to drugs or mass hypothermia.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 12:11:28 AM »
A toxic waste disposal site hidden out there?

Soviet Union.  EVERYTHING is radioactive. Everything was radioactive before radiation was invented.  To counteract the Soviet radiation, everything in China is made with lead.  Circle of life and all that.

I read that the severe injuries were people who had fallen into a ravine.  That would explain it pretty nicely.

That, and

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 08:15:38 AM »

All of 'em got near nekkid from hypothermia delirium? But then snagged clothing and made fire in the boonies instead of going back to camp?

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 05:17:43 PM »
If you watch this movie: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamcatcher_(film)  it will all make perfect sense.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2013, 10:33:18 AM »
If you watch this movie: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamcatcher_(film)  it will all make perfect sense.

Here's a movie actually based on the Dyatlov Pass incident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbq3dR-SEr4
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2013, 07:15:14 PM »
I stumbled upon this very interesting read about a Russian expedition, found dead in two groups under bizarre conditions and with, in some cases, inexplicable injuries. There seem to be various theories, from the plausible to the not so plausible, but apparently to this day, no concrete evidence of what could have happened.

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/dyatlov-pass-incident-strangest-unsolved-mystery

They got caught outside during a Blowout.

case closed. 

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2013, 08:55:02 PM »
They must not have been tuned to Beard's frequency.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2013, 09:42:31 PM »

A copy of the film fell through a space-time vortex and landed on a group of camping Russkies.  They watched it, and it sucked so much that they all went insane, stripped off their clothes, and ran into the snow....

Interesting idea.  I'd like to make it into a history channel special.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2013, 11:47:36 PM »
They got caught outside during a Blowout.

case closed. 

What is a blowout?

This?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowout_%28well_drilling%29
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife