Author Topic: Science and food - Educating Hippies  (Read 2019 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Science and food - Educating Hippies
« on: June 23, 2013, 05:21:33 PM »
http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/2013/06/21/eight_toxic_foods_a_little_chemical_education.php

The money quote:

I've been sent this link in the last few days, a popular item on BuzzFeed with the BuzzFeedy headline of "Eight Foods That We Eat in The US That Are Banned in Other Countries". When I saw that title, I found it unpromising. In a world that eats everything that can't get away fast enough, what possible foods could we have all to ourselves here in the States? A quick glance was enough: we're not talking about foods here - we're talking about (brace yourselves) chemicals.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: Science and food - Educating Hippies
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 06:03:13 PM »
My MIL should read this article.  Hell, she got some "un-petrolium" jelly to replace the Vaseline for when the kids got a diaper rash.  Somehow the fact that Vaseline was made from oil made it automatically bad.  We tried it humor her.  It sucks, and is little better than using nothing at all.  If it actually worked, and especially if worked better than the petro-derived stuff I'd use it.  But regular Vaseline works well enough, and is not harmful to begin with, so screw the "un-petrolium" crap.

Oh, and FWIW, I found Desitin or A&D to be superior in any case.  Desitin worked best, IIRC on the girls, and A&D worked best on the boys for some reason.
Formerly sumpnz

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 06:51:18 PM »
We use butt-paste on my Little Monster.  There was a great uproar over it containing boric acid...

I hope nobody's kids ever get pinkeye.  I think boric acid is ingredient #2 after "sterile water" in the drops the doc gives you.  I don't recall what the Mechanism Of Doom is that they postulated, but its use as a pesticide justifies the hysteria somehow.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 07:10:11 PM »
Oh, and FWIW, I found Desitin or A&D to be superior in any case.  Desitin worked best, IIRC on the girls, and A&D worked best on the boys for some reason.

A&D won't kill you.

We had a dog once, that ate a whole pound jar of it, left open.  It passed right through her.  Yellow squirts out in the yard.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 07:12:36 PM »
There is a problem with the title of this thread. One cannot educate hippies.

However, one could easily exterminate them by finding a poisonous all natural chemical and selling it to them.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 07:13:28 PM »
Where'd you find one with boric acid. When my daughter was 10 or so months old she got a diaper rash that no normal routine ( changingoften , bathing daily, etc) would cure. Doc gave us a scirpt for some cream ( $7 for an 1/8 oz tube on my then electrician's wage of $3.50 an hour) that didn't work explaining that the only way to stop it was to have her bottom naked 24/7. THAT"LL WORK!

I remembered my mother making a wash when I had pink eye of boiled water & boric acid. A quick trip to the store turned up a 10% boric acid cream that worked RIGHT NOW! Kept using that on her & all the other kids (5) until they grew out of diapers.

Looked for the same cream for the grandkids & it's no longer available.

BTW, Desitin is zinc oxide & cod liver oil, A&D is lanolin & mineral oil.

Personally, I use, recommend give to any who need a cream made of 1 part by volume anhydrous lanolin, 1 part  mineral oil & 1 part boiled water.  Haven't found a skin condition it doesn't work on but I haven't run across anyone that's allergic to lanolin. either. Oh & you can lube your patches with it, too.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 07:18:36 PM »
Boudreaux's butt paste.  Note, it had boric acid in it.  They took that out for the hippies.   ;/  Thankfully The Monster's skin is pretty tough.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 07:19:31 PM »

BTW, Desitin is zinc oxide & cod liver oil, A&D is lanolin & mineral oil.

I wonder if you could use A&D for a cast bullet lube.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 09:40:18 AM »
To continue this off OP trend, we used Aquaphor on the boys, and continue to do so now for dry skin.  Works great on my feet.  For diaper rash, a pharmacist neighbor recommended a mx of Maalox and Aquaphor...the Maalox counteracted acid in the crap, and the Aquaphor protected the skin.  Worked great.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 09:55:48 AM »
Bag balm. Best baby-ass cream ever.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 11:18:20 AM »
I saw in a movie where John Wayne used wagon axle grease  =D

I can't remember the name of it right now ... these three outlaws run across a wagon of settlers and everyone died except the baby.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 11:27:11 AM »
Another one is Bisphenol -A.
The hysteria over it involves some junk science pumped up by sensationalist reporting on it.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 12:19:15 PM »
Biking hither and yon in the summertime, I always keep the stuff on hand. 

It's not just for babies!

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 12:20:50 PM »

I can't remember the name of it right now ... these three outlaws run across a wagon of settlers and everyone died except the baby.

Sounds like 3 Godfathers
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 12:28:28 PM »
Burt's Bees FTW on butt-rash.

Sawdust

Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2013, 12:46:36 PM »
Snip

Axle grease of the time would have been tallow & bee's wax so yeah, butt cream.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 12:51:14 PM »
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 01:45:59 PM »
Another one is Bisphenol -A.
The hysteria over it involves some junk science pumped up by sensationalist reporting on it.

Cite please.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 02:49:49 PM »

I have seen that movie.  John Wayne survives, barely.  The other two don't.  The baby was healthy. 

I can't remember the name and lost patience trying to go through the list of his movies on IMDB.  Any actor today would kill for that movie list.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 02:50:28 PM »
I was thinking I heard of boric acid being an ingredient in a homemade pesticide to get rid of sugar ants. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 03:54:57 PM »
I was thinking I heard of boric acid being an ingredient in a homemade pesticide to get rid of sugar ants. 

Yup.  Works good, too.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 04:12:46 PM »
Somewhat corollary to the OP is another problem, our side's lack of scientific method when dealing with hippies. Amongst all the veganGMOsustainablebushitler crap are some leftists that really do know healthy food. And we tend to ignore them because they smell and are annoying. Absolutely nothing wrong with knowing where your food comes from and trying to eat a little more like a grassfed hippie.

AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

brimic

• friends
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 07:03:32 PM »
Somewhat corollary to the OP is another problem, our side's lack of scientific method when dealing with hippies. Amongst all the veganGMOsustainablebushitler crap are some leftists that really do know healthy food. And we tend to ignore them because they smell and are annoying. Absolutely nothing wrong with knowing where your food comes from and trying to eat a little more like a grassfed hippie.

Less processed food is a good thing, but I don't know if I would go that far.  I think someone here mentioned a rule of thumb that if the box your food comes in is bigger than the finished food, it probably isn't the best food.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 11:20:45 PM »
Depending on the season I grow a significant percentage of my own food. This year though is sucking bad. Between an unseasonable cold and wet start, the timing of the rains and my work schedule made for some serious conflicts towards gettting things in the ground, and the grasshopper invasion, year 3 has me with the most pitiful garden I've had in years.
Danged grasshoppers are even eating the tops of my onions. They are so thick they come off the grass in clouds in the thousands when you walk through them.

I've still got a decent crop of potatoes I need to start digging, my okra will probably make OK and my flint corn is looking fair to good. I have already cut my wheat (hard red winter wheat) and need to start getting it threshed out. I'm hoping for about a 5 gallon bucket out of it. I've slo got pinto beans making, They look better than they did last year and I got 20# out of 1/3 less planting. Blueberries are showing good color and will probably start etting them in another week or so.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams