Author Topic: Brits Label a Map of the US  (Read 3754 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Brits Label a Map of the US
« on: March 18, 2014, 11:25:55 PM »
Published last Thanksgiving, but I just ran across it. Brits attempting to label the states of the US. Truth be told, most of them did much better than I could if someone were to ask me me to do the same for England's counties.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/its-thanksgiving-so-we-asked-some-brits-to-label-the-us-stat
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: Brits Label a Map of the US
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 12:07:44 AM »
Oh, my God, I laughed so much at that.  :rofl:

Two "nobody cares" for the Cornhuskers, eh?   =D
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 12:16:55 AM »
I liked the one where Missouri and Arkansas were the Carolinas.

I hate to say it, but I would flub at least a couple of states out west. The Northeast I would butcher, but it's their fault for being so tiny and uninteresting.  :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 12:17:54 AM »
You're tiny and uninteresting!
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 12:23:34 AM »
Hey. I'm not tiny.  =(

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 01:54:20 AM »
Honest question: unless they are trying for citizenship, why the heck would a Brit know American geography down to the state level?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 04:05:14 AM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 06:41:55 AM »
we've got farms and ranches bigger than their counties.

Oklahoma might not like being called North Texas. 

Everyone got Texas except for the one person who labeled Colorado as Texas.  Which is partly right if you consider the old Republic's borders. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

griz

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 07:57:24 AM »
I'll bet a random batch of American adults would do almost as bad.  I know I would miss a bunch of European countries if asked to label them.

But I have to admit the one where they didn't get even ONE correct was pretty amazing.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 08:11:48 AM »
I have to agree.  I might do well on states, but I doubt I would do more than the major countries when it comes to European and Asian geography. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 09:11:14 AM »
I have to agree.  I might do well on states, but I doubt I would do more than the major countries when it comes to European and Asian geography. 

Hey, that's Europe and Asia's fault I say. My globe still has Yugoslavia and the USSR on it. It's not my fault those people keep renaming things.  :laugh:

I also mess up the NE US all the time.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 09:19:36 AM »
Honest question: unless they are trying for citizenship, why the heck would a Brit know American geography down to the state level?

Better education system (mostly) and the general historical importance of the US, and despite popular culture, most Europeans have a fascination with the US. Half their TV shows are American (and it's a crackup to hear famous actors dubbed), so they get some knowledge that way.

English is also by far the most common second language taught in schools, so they pick up US facts and trivia that way as well.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 10:12:19 AM »
Thanks to Downton Abbey and Call the Midwife, I now have a much better understanding of the geography of Yorkshire and the East End of London.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 10:18:04 AM »
Thanks to Downton Abbey and Call the Midwife, I now have a much better understanding of the geography of Yorkshire and the East End of London.

I'm a bit more lowbrow and learned all my facts from 'The IT Crowd" and "Sean of the Dead".  =D

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 10:39:23 AM »
<risk assessment 50-50>

I'm a slight Anglophile, although not geogaphically speaking.  I could not pick out a single county or shire in Great Britain.  But I am slightly amused by the under-the-table shenanigans of royalty when I have nothing better to do. 

I recently picked this up this titillating little tidbit while looking up something about the actress Lillie Langtry.  While he was married to Princess Alexandra, the Prince of Wales was carrying on an affair with Ms. Langtry, spent lavishly on her, and even built a house for her as a retreat for the both of them to... umm... "carry on."

The Prince complained to her that he had spent enough on her to build a battleship.  Her reply was, "Yes, and you've spent enough in me to float one."

I'm not signing this one so nobody will know who posted it.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 10:42:25 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 10:46:58 AM »
I'm a bit more lowbrow and learned all my facts from 'The IT Crowd" and "Sean of the Dead".  =D

I knew that someday, it would pay off that I had bought the DVD of Shaun of the Dead.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 10:48:28 AM »
I knew that someday, it would pay off that I had bought the DVD of Shaun of the Dead.

You're as bad as fistful. :P

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2014, 11:10:29 AM »
To be honest, this resident of "Nobody Lives Here" could only identify a few counties in England.   ;)

Scotland I know pretty well map-wise.   =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2014, 06:02:47 PM »
Have at it:

http://www.garotaetiqueta.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2011/great-britain-map-outline-7818.png

Speaking of tiny and uninteresting.   ;)

Half their TV shows are American (and it's a crackup to hear famous actors dubbed), so they get some knowledge that way.

You'd think that might help. I didn't know where Cornwall was located, until I watched a Brit show that was set there. But that's only because I'm a nerd, and I looked it up.

It probably doesn't help that all of our TV shows/movies are set in NYC, California, and Chicago.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 06:20:34 PM by fistful »

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2014, 06:38:52 PM »
I didn't know where Cornwall was located

Not much into Brythonic mythology, King Arthur, Susan Cooper, etc are you?  :lol:

I dunno about the rest of UK, but the political subdivisions in Scotland have been redrawn a few times in the last 50 years or so  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

grampster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2014, 08:17:25 PM »
I have mapquest.  Ergo I don't need to know where stuff is. :P
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2014, 12:22:35 AM »
Not much into Brythonic mythology, King Arthur, Susan Cooper, etc are you?  :lol:

Uh, no not really. And Susan who?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2014, 03:12:51 AM »
I can at least find all the ports I've been to.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2014, 10:55:27 AM »

Uh, no not really. And Susan who?

Susan The Dark Is Rising Cooper