Author Topic: Window or Aisle?  (Read 7478 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Window or Aisle?
« on: April 02, 2015, 07:23:47 PM »
Do you like the window, or the aisle on a plane?

I think the story mostly has who's who pegged. I'm a window guy. They got the privacy right for sure. I'm not a "nester", I like the window because I think it actually gives me more room for sleeping without my head bumping into the person next to me, or lolling into the aisle. I also, even with (or because of) all the flying I did in work aircraft in my career, never get enough of looking out the window at stuff. I also hate having people climb over me to hit the head, and I never get up to do so myself, so I like claiming my spot and not moving. I guess the one disadvantage is having to crawl over one or more people in an emergency.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2014/12/17/aisle-or-window-what-your-airplane-seat-choice-says-about/?intcmp=obmod_ffo&intcmp=obnetwork
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Window or Aisle?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 07:29:18 PM »
Aisle.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 07:35:14 PM »
Depends on how much I had to drink before boarding.

But I haven't flown in a long time.  Church, movies, meetings, I prefer the "aisle," or most open seat.

But I haven't been to church, movies, or meetings in a long time, either.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 07:52:43 PM »
I also, even with (or because of) all the flying I did in work aircraft in my career, never get enough of looking out the window at stuff.

I vote "because of".

Window for me.

bob

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 07:59:12 PM »
Window, gives me something to look at instead of punching the person in front of me for reclining their seat.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 08:01:11 PM »
Once we get past the fact that I make every effort never to enter a commercial airliner ... for short flights I prefer window, but for medical reasons I need to be able to get up and walk around as much as possible so, for long flights, I try for aisle so I don't disturb my row-mates by constantly crawling over them.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 08:14:24 PM »
I vote "not next to the big fat guy", and "next to the pretty petite, tastefully perfumed single woman". Better yet, the underbooked flight that leaves an empty seat or two.

I like looking out windows, but the way pilots are trained these days... flying waaaay up there, unwilling to keep the aircraft at tree level, there are no scared cows to watch run off into the horizon. Not much to entertain. Anywho, middle seat is the worst

[barf]

Other seating issues on planes... sometimes, a person might ask to trade seats with them. I always wonder, if we crash, would identifying remains be hindered by this. Would I get buried under another name?
 ???
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 08:22:27 PM »
Other seating issues on planes... sometimes, a person might ask to trade seats with them. I always wonder, if we crash, would identifying remains be hindered by this. Would I get buried under another name?
 ???

You're dead, who cares. Also don't you have some sort of ID in your billfold, so sans a fireball crash, your remains can be identified.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 08:26:35 PM »
Always assume fireball crash =D
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 08:28:21 PM »

Well then your loved ones can get a molted hunk of aluminum with your carbon it for display on the mantel.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 09:03:18 PM »
Window.  Like Ben, I don't (usually) ever have to go pee, and I disliked having to accommodate others climbing out of their seats.  Back when I was flying a lot, I'd have an opportunity to get in and situated, and not be disturbed until time to disembark.  And when I was flying a lot, it was on the never-to-be-sufficiently damned commuter jets.  Aisles far too narrow + forward seating + early boarding = every other passenger on the plane is going to bump your shoulder attempting to get to their seat.   Nope.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 10:40:00 PM »
I haven't had any reason to fly anywhere since before 9/11, what flying I did immediately prior to that was on Southwest flying cattle cars between Tulsa and Dallas. Most of the flying I had experienced before that was long cross country and intercontinental flights. Those were also in the last days of when people "dressed" to fly. When did flying become the modern day equivalent of  riding the big grey dog?
 :old:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 10:41:01 PM »
It's not like either seat is particularly comfortable. I guess I lean slightly toward the window. But I haven't flown since 2000, so maybe I just don't remember what it's like.

I prefer driving - the ultimate window/aisle seat, and you have way more options for the in-flight meal.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 10:43:14 PM »
window.  I can usually sleep there.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 11:11:11 PM »
window. and I disagree with introvert being aisle.

the window allows for less interaction with other people, especially if you are traveling with someone you can bully into taking the aisle.

I should also note that my last flight was super awesome. There was almost no other passengers and the flight attendant just told us to pick out were ever we wanted. I snagged the window on one side, over the wing, which no one else seems to like, but I do. I find the engine noise comforting and I like seeing what the flaps are doing. Had pretty much three rows to myself.
OTOH, they did lose my luggage, so it wasn't all great. =|
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 11:29:08 PM »
window. and I disagree with introvert being aisle.

the window allows for less interaction with other people, especially if you are traveling with someone you can bully into taking the aisle.

I should also note that my last flight was super awesome. There was almost no other passengers and the flight attendant just told us to pick out were ever we wanted. I snagged the window on one side, over the wing, which no one else seems to like, but I do. I find the engine noise comforting and I like seeing what the flaps are doing. Had pretty much three rows to myself.
OTOH, they did lose my luggage, so it wasn't all great. =|

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about! Underbooked flights, gotta love them  ;)

Ever been on a 767 with an entire center row empty? That's a bed right there... just might arrive at your destination rested instead of all cramped up if the flight attendant doesn't badger you with seatbelt issues.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 11:32:28 PM »

Window.  So I can watch for gremlins on the wing.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 11:52:33 PM »
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about! Underbooked flights, gotta love them  ;)

Ever been on a 767 with an entire center row empty? That's a bed right there... just might arrive at your destination rested instead of all cramped up if the flight attendant doesn't badger you with seatbelt issues.

Never been on a big plane.

Mostly just the smaller commuter type jets (I don't know what they are) that have first class/business class/the fancy seats section and the section in the back for the rabble.

but yeah, it certainly opened my eyes to the benefits of traveling off peak hours.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2015, 03:30:42 AM »
Window because I like to watch where I am going and watch the plane work. I like seats on top of the wing. I will try to get an overwing exit row seat. Yes I can work the door. If you say anything crazy and grab for the door in-flight i will punch and stomp you. Repeatedly. If I fly with person I feel responsibility for I take the aisle seat so as to insulate them from any potential problems. Trans-Atlantic flight I picked out the rear exit row, glorious legroom. On the C-40 the hot spot is whatever row has the electrical outlets, after that go for the wing exit row, only two seats and lots of legroom.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2015, 05:34:32 AM »
Car.

I HATE to fly. Get very airsick.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2015, 09:20:56 AM »
I would *LIKE* to say window, for a lot of the same reasons already given. But I have to say Aisle, because it gives me enough room in coach to actually make the flight. By choice if I had an empty row to myself? Window, no question.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2015, 09:36:09 AM »
Back of a PA-18.  Now that's a fun way to travel.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2015, 05:38:02 PM »
Then always arrange to send some post cards of where you are going to arrive after the flight so your family won't think you are actually dead.

I would Window....in the driver's seat of my truck.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2015, 07:08:36 PM »
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2015, 10:15:47 PM »
I fly at least 40,000 miles per year (all domestic) and am a dedicated window person.  I can't stand when people going down the aisle bump my shoulder, I'm an introvert, and I like to spot landmarks.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame