Author Topic: NASA Emails a Socket Wrench  (Read 6017 times)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: NASA Emails a Socket Wrench
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2015, 04:24:33 PM »

Recycled Space peoples: It's good for the environment, and OK for you.

Yesterday's friend, it's what's for dinner.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2015, 10:22:29 AM »
would plastic tools and screws work to tie down most items on a space craft?  I am sure the metal stuff would be needed for the heavy weight materials and the critical stuff, but I would think most of the experiments and smaller hardware could be handled with disposable/recyclable plastic tie downs.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2015, 11:44:15 AM »
How big is the equipment? I was thinking of something that could easily be packaged in a fridge-or-smaller form factor that could be transportable under current weight/size restrictions.

Brad

I wonder if a smaller 3-D printer could be used to make the parts for larger 3-d printers, then assemble them on-site?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2015, 11:55:40 AM »
I wonder if a smaller 3-D printer could be used to make the parts for larger 3-d printers, then assemble them on-site?

But then what's to stop them from making ever-bigger 3D printers until they deplete all the resources and start taking over planets to get more raw materials?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2015, 07:19:33 PM »
But then what's to stop them from making ever-bigger 3D printers until they deplete all the resources and start taking over planets to get more raw materials?
Yeah, and we can mount little 3D printers on little 3D printed spiders and also give them the ability to gather material and even replicate.   =D

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2015, 07:26:20 PM »
Yeah, and we can mount little 3D printers on little 3D printed spiders and also give them the ability to gather material and even replicate.   =D

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."