Author Topic: Bennigans, Steak and Ale company-owned locations shut down  (Read 1910 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Bennigans, Steak and Ale company-owned locations shut down
« on: July 29, 2008, 11:56:33 AM »
About half of them. Franchise-owned ones remain open. They'd been around a long time!

How many restaurant employees would that be laid off by 150 locations suddenly shutting their doors?

Bennigan's files for bankruptcy protection
7/29/2008, 3:55 p.m. EDT
By LAUREN SHEPHERD
The Associated Press       

NEW YORK (AP)  Restaurant chains Bennigan's and Steak & Ale have filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection and stores owned by its parent company will shut their doors.

The companies owned by privately held Metromedia Restaurant Group of Plano, Texas, filed for bankruptcy protection on Tuesday in the Eastern District of Texas, less than two months after Metromedia said it was not preparing to do so.

In a Chapter 7 bankruptcy filing, a company seeks to liquidate its assets and shut down.

Locations owned by franchisees were not part of the bankruptcy filing and will not be shut down, said Larry Briski, president of the Bennigan's Franchise Operator Association.

"They will be open today, tomorrow and months and years to come," Briski said of the franchise locations.

He said there are about 160 domestic and international franchise locations and about 150 company-owned Bennigan's restaurants.

Meanwhile, employees at what appeared to be a company-owned Bennigan's in Plano, Texas, were greeted by a sign Tuesday on the front door reading "WE ARE CLOSED. THANK YOU." Next door, a Steak & Ale sat empty in a deserted parking lot but there was no sign posted.

A waiter named Steve, who wouldn't give his last name, said the staff got a phone call Tuesday morning telling them the restaurant was closing.

Neither Bennigan's nor the Metromedia Restaurant Group returned calls for comment. A lawyer listed in the filing, J. Michael Sutherland of Carrington, Coleman, Sloman & Blumenthal LLP, did not return a call.

According to a recorded message on the law firm's answering system, not all stores using the Bennigan's and Steak & Ale trade names have filed for bankruptcy and some franchise locations were not included in the filing.

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/business/index.ssf?/base/business-84/1217350149147300.xml&storylist=business

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Bennigans, Steak and Ale company-owned locations shut down
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 01:07:24 PM »
No loss.  Bennigans is terrible.

-posted via I-phone.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 01:16:36 PM »
Didn't know any were still open.  They left this area ages ago.

Chris

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 01:30:56 PM »
I read earlier that employees will get not get final paychecks. I'm guessing the top corporate dogs will get their last paycheck.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 01:52:59 PM »
Yea, our Bennigans closed months ago. Just another franchise run by HS and college kids who don't really give a hoot, no loss here. The service was pretty well horrendous while it was open, that's for sure.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 02:14:18 PM »
Bennigans did well and truly suck.  Not too sorry to see it go.  Too bad about the employees' final checks though  undecided

I wonder if they will be able to collect back unemployment to the date of their last check?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 02:38:27 PM »
Echo that Bennigan's was terrible . . . got a gift card in a prize drawing, and found that both service AND food quality were lacking.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 03:26:25 PM »
Damn.  I lurve me some Monte Cristo sammiches.   undecided
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 04:24:07 PM »
I read earlier that employees will get not get final paychecks.
Oh, that will not play well.  Not paying employees for time worked is a big, big mistake here.  TWC will get paychecks out of the sold assets.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 04:43:26 PM »
I've liked the Bennigan's that I've been to  (Tyler, College Station, Round Rock). I hate to see it go......

Guess I'll be frequenting Fox & Hound more....

I read earlier that employees will get not get final paychecks. I'm guessing the top corporate dogs will get their last paycheck.

I smell class-action.....  cool
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 03:51:15 PM »
I read earlier that employees will get not get final paychecks.
Oh, that will not play well.  Not paying employees for time worked is a big, big mistake here.  TWC will get paychecks out of the sold assets.

I've had some friends of mine that worked for a local bar/restaurant when they went under. They went to work one morning, found a note on the door, and the place closed up. They never got paid. The company that owned the place declared bankruptcy, and the employees got stiffed with the food distributors, liquor distributors, beer distributors, advertisers, etc. You can try taking them to court, but you will probably never collect even if you win. If they're bankrupt, they're bankrupt, and there's really nothing you can do.