Author Topic: An Inconvenient Truth (for Libertarians)  (Read 8083 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: An Inconvenient Truth (for Libertarians)
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2012, 10:41:32 AM »
Thou hast insulted the Infallible Ronpaul !!!   Heretic!!!  Unbeliever!!! Blasphemer!!!

;/
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2012, 03:06:07 PM »
Azred: so you're in favor of 1. absolutist federalism, even to the point of allowing genocide if that's what that state wants and 2. you've totally given up on the system. Gotcha.

So if you don't vote, and you have no hope of any change, why the hell are you arguing politics?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2012, 03:11:56 PM »
Azred: so you're in favor of 1. absolutist federalism, even to the point of allowing genocide if that's what that state wants and 2. you've totally given up on the system. Gotcha.

So if you don't vote, and you have no hope of any change, why the hell are you arguing politics?

Heck, Saudi Arabia doesn't let women vote or go out in public without their faces covered.  I guess we should nuke them into submission to be like Iowa, huh? ;/  After all, if Federal mandate is good, then global mandate is moar gooder.

Compulsory laws implemented over people that don't believe in those laws require violence to enforce them.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2012, 04:11:15 PM »
Yes. So do laws against murder. What's your point?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2012, 04:32:43 PM »
Heck, Saudi Arabia doesn't let women vote or go out in public without their faces covered.  I guess we should nuke them into submission to be like Iowa, huh? ;/  After all, if Federal mandate is good, then global mandate is moar gooder.

Compulsory laws implemented over people that don't believe in those laws require violence to enforce them.

I think you've moved beyond LIBERTARIANISM to straight up anarchism. Good for you. Might want to stop pretending you would support any form of .gov though.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2012, 06:19:54 PM »
If you want to create a Federal level mandate for this particular type of murder, why aren't you creating one for every other type of murder?  Handle it at the State level.  Like jaywalking.  We don't have federal jaywalking laws.  Why have federal murder laws?

The reason social conservatives (who are not libertarian) want a Federal solution to abhorshins is because they want to IMPOSE their will on those they disagree with, where they cannot win on the battlefield of ideas.  They want to impose a ban on California abhorshins and New York abhorshins, though they live in Virginia or South Carolina.
I figured I head to respond this is gem since is flat out wrong IMO.
Most conservatives would be fine with state level laws on abortion with no federal oversight.  We can't do that because the Supreme Court made it a federal issue with Roe vs Wade.  I think it would be a great idea to get rid of that decision and go right back to each state regulating it as they wish.  If anti-abortion advocates then want to ban it in all 50 states, they can try.  At least then it is a little closer to a local issue rather than a one-size-fits-all solution.  I am not even pro-life and I can see that position easily enough.  I don't see why you can't. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2012, 06:51:02 PM »
The reason a federal solution is called for is because it is problem created by the federales, who usurped state authority.
Please defend this assertion.  How did the feds create the problem?  SCOTUS hearing what should have been a State issue and decided by the State Supreme Court?  That confirms my assertion that federal involvement is unnecessary and we don't need any federal laws on the matter and only need State laws that address this form of murder.

You defended the assertion obvious fact yourself, and then exposed your own absurd (and ill-informed) caricature of social conservatives.

If you want to create a Federal level mandate for this particular type of murder, why aren't you creating one for every other type of murder?  Handle it at the State level.  Like jaywalking.  We don't have federal jaywalking laws.  Why have federal murder laws?

The reason social conservatives (who are not libertarian) want a Federal solution to abhorshins is because they want to IMPOSE their will on those they disagree with, where they cannot win on the battlefield of ideas.  They want to impose a ban on California abhorshins and New York abhorshins, though they live in Virginia or South Carolina.

You keep digging yourself a deeper hole, here.  =|
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2012, 07:20:08 PM »
To respond to Micro's point from earlier, it is indeed true there is no theoretical necessity linking big tent small L libertarianism and social conservatism. But the current reality is that all the L leaning poli-critters we have now are part of the so-con movement that internet LIBERTARIANS are so eager to jettison. In reality as opposed to theory, so-cons are the most effective libertarians. Which is kinda the point of the whole article.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2012, 10:44:39 PM »
But the current reality is that all the L leaning poli-critters we have now are part of the so-con movement that internet LIBERTARIANS are so eager to jettison. In reality as opposed to theory, so-cons are the most effective libertarians.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=AlHIxZyJHg4#t=10s
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2012, 07:18:40 AM »
Is Alan Gura a social conservative?

Or Tom Palmer?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2012, 11:30:48 AM »
Is Alan Gura a social conservative?

Or Tom Palmer?

Are they elected officials?