Author Topic: an interesting analysis of stand your ground  (Read 967 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: an interesting analysis of stand your ground
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 10:28:33 AM »
This states far more about our courts then it does about the stand your ground law, IMO.  As far as I'm aware, Florida's stand your ground laws do not have anything to say about race.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 11:11:29 AM »
Okay, two cases with little details are supposed to prove a point ...  ;/

people who killed a black person walked free 73 percent of the time, while those who killed a white person went free 59 percent of the time

I could point out that blacks are statistically more likely to commit crime, so they are statistically more likely to be killed in a self defense shooting.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 11:56:21 AM »
I could point out that blacks are statistically more likely to commit crime, so they are statistically more likely to be killed in a self defense shooting.

Another point: Black perpetrators prey most on other blacks.  Thus, there is likely to be a MUCH greater proportion of blacks in that 73% than in the 59%.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 11:42:12 PM »
I'm pretty sure we discussed this article, or one like it, a long time ago. I remember reading that SYG favored blacks more than whites.

I guess you can prove anything from the same set of numbers.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 05:29:40 AM »
That's the fun thing about numbers, and why stats are often so useless.

Numbers are very easy to massage to your favor, and with good delivery to support your desired outcome.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 07:46:45 AM »
Interpretation of stats through ones own grid does not constitute proof.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

griz

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 08:34:52 AM »
Am I the only one who noticed that the first two cases mentioned as examples state that the defendants were being raped and choked at the time of the killing?  Like the Zimmerman case that is always used as a banner for the folks that dislike SYG, those examples have nothing to do with Stand Your Ground.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 09:00:29 AM »
That's the fun thing about numbers, and why stats are often so useless.

Numbers are very easy to massage to your favor, and with good delivery to support your desired outcome.

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?