Author Topic: Sight Pusher Tool  (Read 417 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Sight Pusher Tool
« on: February 05, 2023, 10:24:16 AM »
I'm finally getting around to replacing the sights on my G45 ( with Ameriglo Spartans, just ordered today). I've actually never replaced pistol sights before and have seen recommendations for using a sight pusher vs a hammer and punch.

These tools seem to run from $20-$80. I don't have plans for doing lots of sight swaps, but see myself doing some more in the future. I don't know that I want to shell out $80 for a little used tool, but I can see spending $20-$40. Does anyone have experience with sight pushers? Would the lower end still be worthwhile to buy, or are they useless junk?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Sight Pusher Tool
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2023, 10:32:07 AM »
Definitely a buy once, cry once kind of tool
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2023, 10:37:24 AM »
Definitely a buy once, cry once kind of tool

Yep, heard of people breaking the cheap ones on Glocks far too often.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2023, 12:15:57 PM »
I have two. One I bought on the recommendation of someone on another forum from SightPusher.com. I think it was about $60. Bleh.

It works, but is hard to use, looks like it was thrown together in a garage, requires tools, and beats up the sight when using it.  If you want it let me know and I’ll send it to you.

I ended up getting one of these last year:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09NR7KQ7L

I like it much better. If you have any specific questions let me know.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2023, 12:28:15 PM »
Look at the one you like and make one. And yes, the little glass vials don't like hammers.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2023, 12:47:09 PM »
I made one.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2023, 12:58:41 PM »
It seems like everything I want these days is "buy once, cry once" instead of, "Here's an inexpensive item that will do everything you need!"  :laugh:

Thanks for the replies so far. I guess cheap is out for sure. I was doing some additional interwebz research, and gun websites/people seem to push the Wheeler and the Real Avid. They both appear to run ~$150, but Amazon has the Real Avid for $120 right now.

I guess I need to really weigh how much I think I will use one of these in the future. I do have two 1911s that are old enough that the tritium sights are dead...

https://www.amazon.com/Real-Avid-Master-Sight-Pusher/dp/B08BB6W9ZZ
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2023, 03:50:22 PM »
I ended up getting one of these last year:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09NR7KQ7L

This one seems to get decent reviews. If you just search "sight pusher" on Amazon, you'll find that same model under myriad different names, at prices ranging from $50 to $80.

I'd buy one, but I have a 1911-specific sight pusher from Brownells, and almost all my handguns are 1911s, so I can't justify buying a universal model at this point.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2023, 07:39:43 PM »
The front sights on most Glocks are easy to swap out.  Just need that little socket tool. 

I have a "cheap" sight pusher.  It will do the job, but you need a wrench most of the time.  Both of those Amazon links look like a big upgrade over what I have.

A guy at a gun range has swapped sights on several pistols for me.  His set up is similar to the orange colored model linked above.  I thought they were more expensive than that or I may have already bought one.

You may already have done this, but get a dry erase marker or a sharpy to mark the location of the old sights before pushing them off.  Going back and forth trying to sight them back in sucks.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2023, 07:45:46 PM »
For the front site I have taken the appropriate size 1/4 drive socket, cut it off since it is not going to fit thru the hole in the slide, used same size allen key to drive it.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2023, 10:46:36 AM »
From looking at YouTube reviews, I see that some (many?) of the sight pushers you see on Amazon have steel clamps that will mar the slide if you don't supply your own padding.

. . . If you just search "sight pusher" on Amazon, you'll find that same model under myriad different names, at prices ranging from $50 to $80.

Interesting how identical many of the sight pushers look, differing only in the logo or name applied. It's as if they came off the same production line - and yet, the reviews vary.  ;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2023, 10:59:07 AM »
Well, dammit, I ordered the Real Avid. I guess I'll need to rationalize the purchase by buying new sights for the 1911s I referenced.  :laugh:

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2023, 11:28:33 AM »
I picked this up in 2020 and it’s worked great for me on several handguns.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2023, 01:07:53 PM »
Well, dammit, I ordered the Real Avid. I guess I'll need to rationalize the purchase by buying new sights for the 1911s I referenced.  :laugh:
At least the Amazon listing for this one had a list of pistols it would NOT work with - and your G45 was not among them. (For some reason it's not supposed to work with long slide 1911s, so unless you have one of those, you should be OK.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain