Author Topic: 2016 claims another one... Carrie Fisher has died  (Read 4995 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
2016 claims another one... Carrie Fisher has died
« on: December 27, 2016, 01:08:34 PM »
This year is just sucking on ice.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: 2016 claims another one... Carrie Fisher has died
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 01:10:43 PM »
Bummer.

If the reaper has to take "celebrities" I have a whole list of worthy alternatives I could provide.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 01:13:54 PM »
If 2016 even thinks about taking Betty White there will be riots.

According to this article back in September there had been 71 "celebrity" deaths which was 5 - 20 more than any other previous year of the study.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/22/entertainment/2016-celebrity-deaths/

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 01:20:41 PM »
If 2016 even thinks about taking Betty White there will be riots.

According to this article back in September there had been 71 "celebrity" deaths which was 5 - 20 more than any other previous year of the study.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/22/entertainment/2016-celebrity-deaths/

My guess is that is simply Baby Boomer Odds.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 01:23:07 PM »
Problem being that some of these are in their early to mid 50's such as George Michael.

Granted Baby Boomers but at the tail end of the boom.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 01:24:28 PM »
Problem being that some of these are in their early to mid 50's such as George Michael.

Granted Baby Boomers but at the tail end of the boom.

A life of drugs and hard drinking doesn't bode well for longevity.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 01:25:57 PM »
True.

At Princess Leia and R2-D2 are reunited.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 01:28:57 PM »
Yep. You ingest the crap that Carrie Fisher and George Michael ingested regularly and no matter what your age is, you've increased your chances of early death SIGNIFICANTLY.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 01:33:02 PM »
GODDAMN IT!

Liz Smith also died (Christmas Eve)!

She was a wonderful British character actress.

She had roles in at least three adaptations of A Christmas Carol, including both the George C. Scott and the Patrick Stewart versions.

Damn.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 01:36:34 PM »
http://fiftiesweb.com/dead/dead-people-2016/

Not an up to date list because Carrie Fisher isn't on it as I post and probably not complete either but here is a list of notable deaths this year.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 01:56:01 PM »
and Richard Adams, author of Watership Down.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 01:58:20 PM »
and Richard Adams, author of Watership Down.

Read that he actually passed on Christmas Eve but they are just announcing it.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2016, 02:48:35 PM »
Damn shame - she and I were the same age, and in fact shared the same birthday. :(
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2016, 02:56:13 PM »
Damn shame - she and I shared the same birthday. :(

Birthdays OK to share, death days...not so much!!!   =(

bob

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2016, 04:33:11 PM »
I just don't see all the fuss over celebrities.  They are entertainers, not family. 

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2016, 04:36:15 PM »
I just don't see all the fuss over celebrities.  They are entertainers, not family. 

For some people they are "family."  You grow up and "connect" with certain celebrities for various reasons.  When they pass on, it is as a part of you has died.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2016, 04:47:09 PM »

I agree with you , mostly.
Entertainers certainly, and while not family, the pleasure of their performances will still be missed.
Of course there are plenty of "celebrities" and "entertainers" that have passed this year that while taking no pleasure from their passing I surely will not miss them.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2016, 04:50:02 PM »

You don't admire certain people based on their well known actions, talents or impact on the world stage? or would ever possibly be sad that that person won't continue to contribute?

I'm not particularly attached to Carrie Fisher, the person, however I am incredibly bummed that she won't be making any further appearances in a movie series that I really like.
Plus, there are certain writers who are getting up there in years who have yet to explain and expand on the Pandora's Box that THEY BROUGHT UP and have yet to finish writing about that I may be forced to resurrect should they kick the bucket. (*cough cough* Mercedes Lackey *cough cough*)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2016, 04:52:23 PM »
I just don't see all the fuss over celebrities.  They are entertainers, not family.  

I happen to agree, in fact just this week there was a plane crash that claimed the lives of 92 Russian (mostly entertainers) military, media and others and there was hardly a blip on the radar. I think that bothered me the most, even though they are Russians they are still victims of a military accident. I guess my sentiments are not quite the same as many peoples, especially those who live and die by social media. :(

bob

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2016, 06:14:08 PM »
A life of drugs and hard drinking doesn't bode well for longevity.

Until you hit the point where it is preserving your body;
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2016, 06:21:33 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2016, 07:02:00 PM »
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2016, 07:09:17 PM »
Until you hit the point where it is preserving your body;

Eventually it will be a toss up between him and Ozzy for last man standing.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2016, 08:57:38 PM »
And now, one day later, Carrie's Mom - Debbie Reynolds - has died.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2016, 09:27:32 PM »
ARe we going to pick up exponentially in the next couple days?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.