Author Topic: Paging BSL ... in re Dog Grooming  (Read 2353 times)

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Paging BSL ... in re Dog Grooming
« on: May 28, 2017, 08:04:57 PM »
Liz, my girl Nikki (currently pictured at left) does not handle the desert heat well, so I like to keep her trimmed down a bit when the weather gets warm.  I'm not trying to groom a show dog, just give her some relief and leave her with some dignity around other dogs, guests, and the vet.

We were having a grooming session today.  It was going bad, and even though she's patient above and beyond what I should ask, the task was wearing on both of us.  I blame most of it on the cheap Wahl clippers I bought a few years back.  I think my biggest gripe is the plastic cutter guards (correct term?) that set the length of the cut.  Her hair keeps getting snagged on the area of the guard that holds it to the clipper head, leading to discomfort for her and extra work for me.  Also, the clippers don't clip all that efficiently.

I'm looking for some advice on replacing the clippers.  Not looking for pro level, just because I'm not going to be using them every day.  What are some "buzz words" I should look for in product descriptions?  Or features?  Heck, if you can recommend some, or even provide a linky to a good set at Amazon, that would be tres cool!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 09:54:38 PM by Doggy Daddy »
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Paging BSD ... in re Dog Grooming
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 10:20:45 PM »
The reason it's snagging is because it's catching on tangles in the coat. In order to get through any coat with a comb (that's what the plastic thing is called) it has to be completely combed out. This is why, if you go to a grooming shop and want to keep length in the coat, it's so expensive. The dog has to be bathed, completely dried and combed out before we can even start cutting hair. Otherwise, you can't get an even cut and (as you have found out) you spend a lot of time tugging and pulling. The damn things catch on even the smallest tangle.

As far as the clippers go, you can actually try just replacing the blade, rather than the whole thing. The other thing you might want to get is some Cool Lube clipper spray. When the blade gets hot, it's both uncomfortable for the dog and it dulls faster. Keeping the blade cleaned off and cool helps a lot. As far as specifics go, we mostly use Andis clippers at the shop. I think Louise has a Wahl and a giant old Oster. The blades are mostly Andis, which get resharpened and repaired instead of replaced. Too be honest, I barely touch the clippers. I'm on the bathing and drying side of things. I know how all this stuff is done, but I have successfully avoided "learning" to do haircuts.  ;)

Now, all that said, stop using the combs and give Nikki a full on buzzcut with a 10 blade. When it comes to keeping a dog cool, leaving any length doesn't really do anything. She's still not getting air on the skin. Go with the grain of the coat all the way down the body. The only parts that are really tricky with the clippers (as in you might cut something) are the spots where the body meets the legs and the skin is loose and that you can hold the skin flat to get to. The other big benefit with this is that you'll be going right under any tangles, so you won't be pulling and tugging. It's not hard. It's the one big haircut I actually have done myself and it's not one you can really screw up. Dignity be damned, she'll be cooler for it.

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Paging BSL ... in re Dog Grooming
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 10:32:05 PM »
Doggy "dignity," they have no issues peeing, crapping, screwing, licking their privates and butt for God and all to see, and they sniff each other's butts. WHAT "dignity?" I don't think they give 2 shits as long as they are comfortable.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 11:33:14 PM »
Liz, you make a lot of sense.  That's why I attempted the proper incantation to summon you.  I already have oil. Would the Cool Lube brand make that much difference?  Also, the Wahl clippers have an adjustable blade.  Should I really go all the way down to 10?  I think that's the shortest.  What do you think about getting one of them hi-dollar racing blades?  Worth it?  And yeah, she's a tomgirl. She does get some tangles.

Anyways, thanks for all the advice.  She'll have an interesting time next weekend.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 12:04:24 AM »
Do you have the clipper oil in a bottle or the spray can stuff? Because it's the spray can stuff you use on a blade. As far as brand, I'm just in the habit of saying Cool Lube, but we tend to have whatever brand happens to be the easiest to come across.

We tend to stick to the 10 for big dog summer strips. It's the easiest. The longer the blade (any blade) the more likely you are to snag on tangles. You could try a 7 and see how that goes, but I honestly would try anything longer than that. With the 10 it's much easier to get an even cut without choppy spots. For what it's worth, it will grow out faster than you think.

As far as the high dollar racing blades... It's hard for me to judge how long a blade would last based on your kind of usage. I'd say the blades at the shop get resharpened probably once a quarter and we go though 10 blades the fastest, because they get the heaviest use. The thing is we have so many blades, and I've never known how Katie and Louise keep them organized. Plus, they both hide and hoard blades and scissors from each other. I doubt they could tell you how fast the individual blades wear out.  ;/

At the same time, you want a blade that will cut.
https://www.amazon.com/Andis-CeramicEdge-Carbon-Infused-Clipper-64315/dp/B00061MWOK/ref=pd_ybh_a_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YAASHRFSXTHGCYZ4GTDX We have these exact blades. I'm betting they will last a lot longer than you'd ever need them.

One more note, and then I'll go to bed. The blade will dull faster on a dirty dog. You can (and we do) strips with 10 and 7 blades before bathing, but it will dull the blade faster. We usually do a fast and dirty prep because it makes the drying time go a lot faster, and then make the cut even after the dog is dry. Either way, the skin and hair needs to be COMPLETELY bone dry before you try clipping.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 05:22:40 PM »
Do you have the clipper oil in a bottle or the spray can stuff?

Squeeze type tin kinda like 3 in 1.

We tend to stick to the 10 for big dog summer strips. It's the easiest. The longer the blade (any blade) the more likely you are to snag on tangles. You could try a 7 and see how that goes,

Smaller number, longer cut?

As far as the high dollar racing blades... It's hard for me to judge how long a blade would last based on your kind of usage. I'd say the blades at the shop get resharpened probably once a quarter and we go though 10 blades the fastest, because they get the heaviest use. The thing is we have so many blades, and I've never known how Katie and Louise keep them organized. Plus, they both hide and hoard blades and scissors from each other. I doubt they could tell you how fast the individual blades wear out.  ;/

The hiding and hoarding is just plain funny!

At the same time, you want a blade that will cut.
https://www.amazon.com/Andis-CeramicEdge-Carbon-Infused-Clipper-64315/dp/B00061MWOK/ref=pd_ybh_a_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YAASHRFSXTHGCYZ4GTDX We have these exact blades. I'm betting they will last a lot longer than you'd ever need them.

I put it in my cart.  When I get home ("working" today)  I'll try to determine if it will fit my clipper.  I think it will.

One more note, and then I'll go to bed. The blade will dull faster on a dirty dog. You can (and we do) strips with 10 and 7 blades before bathing, but it will dull the blade faster. We usually do a fast and dirty prep because it makes the drying time go a lot faster, and then make the cut even after the dog is dry. Either way, the skin and hair needs to be COMPLETELY bone dry before you try clipping.

Taking notes here... thanks for all your help.

Hey, as long as I got you here...

Nikki likes to step on feet.  She is quite evil about it, too.  Yesterday, I was half sitting, half standing by resting on the arm of a chair.  The merry prankster sashays by, steps to her left with only her left front foot to step on my foot as she passes by.  A couple minutes later she comes back the other way, reaches her paw over like she's going to step on my foot, then looks at me and draws it back.  I swear she was grinning and almost laughing.  A few more minutes pass, and she comes back through going the original direction and mashes my foot a good one.  This is not an isolated incident, only the most egregious recent one.  I have to also watch out for her when we're in the yard.  She'll run up from behind and merrily throw herself into the back of my knees.  Merrily I say.  I think she's playing a dominance game, but it's so funny the way she does it that I seldom get mad at her for it.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 05:48:04 PM »
Yep, smaller number, longer cut.

Get the spray. When you're cutting, touch the blade every so often. If it feels really toasty, you use the spray on on the teeth while the blade is running and then turn it off and wipe the excess off.

The blade most likely will fit. They make those things pretty universal.

As far as stepping on feet, you're just screwed. Obviously, Nikki thinks it's funny and that's just the end of that.  :laugh:

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 12:24:38 PM »
Blade wouldn't fit the Wahl.  Andis ordered, should arrive Saturday.

Spray is ordered, arrival date is vague.

Nikki apparently logged in to my APS and found out about the foot stomping.  She has increased both frequency and force.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 07:02:16 PM »
Blade wouldn't fit the Wahl.  Andis ordered, should arrive Saturday.

Spray is ordered, arrival date is vague.

Nikki apparently logged in to my APS and found out about the foot stomping.  She has increased both frequency and force.

Never underestimate a clever dog.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 06:03:56 PM »
Never underestimate a clever dog.

"Clever" is an understatement for this one.

I now have the new clippers, new blade, and the freeze spray.  Tried 2 quick passes on Nikki, while she was lounging in the family room.  WOW!  What a difference the proper tools make.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 06:48:11 PM »
"Clever" is an understatement for this one.

I now have the new clippers, new blade, and the freeze spray.  Tried 2 quick passes on Nikki, while she was lounging in the family room.  WOW!  What a difference the proper tools make.

IKR!

Another quick tip on grooming tools. Never ever ever waste money on the "fancy" dog nail grinders with the stupid guide. Most of you guys already have a proper dremal tool. Use at about the middle speed or a little under. That guide doohikey makes it impossible to round and shape the nail, plus you're more likely to quick it since you can't see what you're doing and it forces you to go straight on into the nail.
Weird but true, some dogs who absolutely will not tolerate nail clippers are fine with dremals. Personally, I'd think the dremal would be more scary, but I've seen it.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2017, 07:21:13 PM »
IKR!

ATM she's about half done.  Got the easy parts first.  Detail work coming up in a few after she and I take a break and the other dogs get over the trauma of watching and wondering if they're next.

Also, I have mixed results with the dremel.  Still, it's better than clippers.  I wouldn't consider trying one of those rotary "only on tv" clippers, I've also read that they're bad about wrapping foot hair up around the shaft.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

castle key

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2017, 07:51:51 PM »
Interestingly the better quality dog grooming tools really are not much more expensive than the garbage that doesn't work well.

I pretty much use only #1 All System brushes, a basic greyhound comb, #1 All systems slicker, and Miller's Forge nail clippers.

That's a pretty good set up for about $100.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2017, 07:57:12 PM »
ATM she's about half done.  Got the easy parts first.  Detail work coming up in a few after she and I take a break and the other dogs get over the trauma of watching and wondering if they're next.

Also, I have mixed results with the dremel.  Still, it's better than clippers.  I wouldn't consider trying one of those rotary "only on tv" clippers, I've also read that they're bad about wrapping foot hair up around the shaft.

It helps if you scissor the feet first, so as not to have hair in the way. Dr. Suess feet are cute, but clean feet are cute and easier to deal with.

Interestingly the better quality dog grooming tools really are not much more expensive than the garbage that doesn't work well.

I pretty much use only #1 All System brushes, a basic greyhound comb, #1 All systems slicker, and Miller's Forge nail clippers.

I don't know the brand name, but there is a orange plastic slicker brush that's like $60 which would change your mind. Holy *expletive deleted*it. A friend of Katie and Louise gave it to them and it has since become sacred. Battle has gone down over that brush. It's magic.

But for the most part, you're correct. Decent grooming gear isn't all that expensive and a lot of times, cheaper basics without frills work a hell of a lot better than the fancy crap. I'd say that the only exception is good scissors. Those are expensive no matter what.
And the really good scissors are only needed by people who are doing the real intensive cuts, like poodle people and groomers.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2017, 08:00:07 PM »
It helps if you scissor the feet first, so as not to have hair in the way. Dr. Suess feet are cute, but clean feet are cute and easier to deal with.

Now you tell me.   :P

Seems to be quite a large selection of the Miller's Forge clippers... any particular ones stand out?
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

castle key

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2017, 10:08:19 PM »
Nails:

https://www.cherrybrook.com/millers-forge-heavy-duty-nail-trimmers/

Basic pin brush:

https://www.cherrybrook.com/all-systems-firm-pin-brushes-black/

Greyhound comb:

https://www.cherrybrook.com/1-all-systems-ultimate-metal-comb-1/

Slicker:

https://www.cherrybrook.com/ultimate-professional-slickers/

These are some items I have used and like. I linked to the supplier Cherrybrook for no reason other than I have bought from them before and could find the items on their website. They seem to have pretty good prices. The brands I posted work well for my big hairy beasts but some breeds have more specific needs, such as terriers needing knives/razors.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2017, 09:04:11 PM »
Nails:

https://www.cherrybrook.com/millers-forge-heavy-duty-nail-trimmers/

Basic pin brush:

https://www.cherrybrook.com/all-systems-firm-pin-brushes-black/

Greyhound comb:

https://www.cherrybrook.com/1-all-systems-ultimate-metal-comb-1/

Slicker:

https://www.cherrybrook.com/ultimate-professional-slickers/

These are some items I have used and like. I linked to the supplier Cherrybrook for no reason other than I have bought from them before and could find the items on their website. They seem to have pretty good prices. The brands I posted work well for my big hairy beasts but some breeds have more specific needs, such as terriers needing knives/razors.

Thanks!  And FYI, Amazon prime has the nail clippers at $13.98, 2 day delivery.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2017, 09:48:59 PM »
Nikki wanted me to pass the word to you that you are definitely a genius amongst humans and a real good person.  She adds a "thanks" for educating her human, and wants you to know that she is very, very comfortable and happy with her new near nudeness.  You done a good thing.

For my part, she's now spending a LOT more time loafing on my bed now that she doesn't overheat from the bedding.  Right now, she is 2 feet away from me on the bed, laying in the line of fire from the A/C vent, eyes shut tight, and sleeping like an angel.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 09:08:20 AM by Doggy Daddy »
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2017, 09:57:31 PM »

Maybe it'll even things out a bit to let you know that Nikki wanted me to pass the word to you that you are definitely a genius amongst humans and a real good person.  She adds a "thanks" for educating her human, and wants you to know that she is very, very comfortable and happy with her new near nudeness.  You done a good thing.

For my part, she's now spending a LOT more time loafing on my bed now that she doesn't overheat from the bedding.  Right now, she is 2 feet away from me on the bed, laying in the line of fire from the A/C vent, eyes shut tight, and sleeping like an angel.

Thanks.

I'm glad she's happy. You're efforts have actually inspired me. I've decided that at least one of my mutts will also spend the summer in a state of nudeness. Pearl got mostly combed out a couple weeks ago, so I'm on the fence with her. I don't take my dogs to the shop (there are reasons) so I went ahead and bit the bullet. Tomorrow clippers, real scissors (I've been wiffle waffling on getting those for years. Knowing the difference between real scissors and house scissors makes using the house scissors on a dog a hateful thing) and blades shall arrive and Graham will be nekkid by weeks end.

I also just ordered two self cooling dog beds. I'll post up a review once I get them, if anyone's interested.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2017, 10:10:03 PM »
I'm glad she's happy. You're efforts have actually inspired me. I've decided that at least one of my mutts will also spend the summer in a state of nudeness. Pearl got mostly combed out a couple weeks ago, so I'm on the fence with her. I don't take my dogs to the shop (there are reasons) so I went ahead and bit the bullet. Tomorrow clippers, real scissors (I've been wiffle waffling on getting those for years. Knowing the difference between real scissors and house scissors makes using the house scissors on a dog a hateful thing) and blades shall arrive and Graham will be nekkid by weeks end.

I also just ordered two self cooling dog beds. I'll post up a review once I get them, if anyone's interested.

Count me interested, although I can count off the top of my head at least 6 "official" dog beds spread throughout the house, plus other spots that the girls consider theirs.  Like I really need any more!  BTW, I got crazy a few weeks ago and ordered a couple of "My Pillows".  IMO, they are worth the cost.  I also now see that they make "My Pillow" dog beds.  I refuse to buy 4 of those!
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2017, 10:18:55 PM »
Count me interested, although I can count off the top of my head at least 6 "official" dog beds spread throughout the house, plus other spots that the girls consider theirs.  Like I really need any more!  BTW, I got crazy a few weeks ago and ordered a couple of "My Pillows".  IMO, they are worth the cost.  I also now see that they make "My Pillow" dog beds.  I refuse to buy 4 of those!

Yeah, see I've never bought dog beds. The only reason I've bought cat beds is because many many years ago my aunt gave me this toy stuffed dog on a bed. As a lark, I took the bed and put it where the cats would find it. Lo and behold, the bastards actually took a liking to it. Plus, these are bottom of the barrel, dollar store cheapo cat beds.

I always figured we'd drop a decent chunk of change on dog beds and then the dogs would snub them in favor of human beds, bare floor and nesting in the dirty laundry pile (that was Sadies FAVORITE bed) so never bought any.
When Southwests back end gave out, I put him on a Ridgerest backpacking mat. Seemed to work better than anything I could have bought at a pet store.
However, since we live without AC and Graham and Pearl are both so damn old I am concerned with them handling the heat this summer. Thus, my miserly streak with the dog beds is over.

and I'm so going to  :facepalm: if they refuse to sleep on the beds. I wouldn't put it past either of them.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2017, 11:18:27 PM »
Chloe has a tendency to pick up the large foam filled orthopedic 40"+ dog beds and attempt to take them through the doggie door.  But, she'll only do this when I'm around to stop her.  It's like she knows it's not going to fit, but she wants credit for the attempted mischief.  So she only does it when I'm there to stop her before the plan fails.

It looks like the place to get the MY Pillow beds would be Amazon:
Small $35,  Medium $60 and Large $100  with free shipping.

My Pillow website has them for $55 / $90 / $142... does not appear to be free shipping.  Promo codes can be found, but it looks like the small bed only goes down to $38 with the code.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 12:05:49 AM by Doggy Daddy »
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.