Author Topic: Shoot first  (Read 2044 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Shoot first
« on: June 20, 2017, 04:02:56 PM »
https://bearingarms.com/jenn-j/2017/05/30/young-norfolk-man-aiming-end-armed-robbery-fatally-shot-suspect/

Pete drew his own weapon and firmly commanded the armed robber to drop his gun. The suspect appeared to comply with Pete’s command as he lowered his gun, but before dropping the weapon, he swiftly jerked the gun up and shot Pete in the stomach.

Be like Han.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: Shoot first
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 04:07:15 PM »
Be like Raylan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifXhlg4N8e0

Sad to read that the guy died trying to do the right thing.  Sounds like he was following the scenario seen all too often in TV and movies: wait for the bad guy to make a move, then shoot him.

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 04:47:04 PM »
Be like Raylan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifXhlg4N8e0

I'm going to go rewatch that episode right now.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 04:48:16 PM »
You guys can go ahead and envy me. I haven't watched that series. Yet.  =)

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 04:49:06 PM »
You guys can go ahead and envy me.

You misspelled "pity."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 04:51:59 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 04:54:52 PM »
What I meant is that it looks like a show I would really like, and I still have it to look forward to.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 05:37:53 PM »
What I meant is that it looks like a show I would really like, and I still have it to look forward to.

I know.

Still pity you.

:P

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 06:06:33 PM »

Dude, Justified was one of the best written and acted shows I've ever seen.  Especially Season 2.  None was bad, but Season 2 was just awesome.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 06:43:33 PM »
Well, thanks.  I just spent a half hour of watching a bunch of clips from Justified.  It was Justified.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 07:20:19 PM »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 07:40:42 PM »
Back to the article:

To say this was an unfortunate ending for this story is a gross understatement. We’re taught to give a firm command to armed assailants to try to disarm them before taking a shot in self-defense, but who’s to say which assailants will comply and which ones will simply kill us first? Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6?

Really? Who in their right mind teaches giving "firm commands" to a thug with a gun in his hand before opening fire? I've never encountered such idiotic instruction.

Look how ell that worked out for the female Capitol Police officer at the recent shooting in Virginia. Yes, she and her partner finally got the guy, but not before he got her. (I'm still not sure if the partner was also shot, or if he sprained an ankle or scraped his knee or something.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 07:55:55 PM »
Back to the veer!

"He pulled first, I shot him."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzjSIQkXoGM

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 08:39:22 PM »
Someone actually knew how to point shoot.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2017, 08:58:37 PM »
Back to the veer!

"He pulled first, I shot him."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzjSIQkXoGM

Hadn't seen that one before.  It's a good one.  Lots of favorite scenes.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 09:03:58 PM »

Hell, I don't even know what that's from.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 09:10:40 PM »
Hell, I don't even know what that's from.

That remark is not justified.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 09:38:40 PM »
I remember seeing part of an old Gunsmoke episode where people thought Charles Bronson was a murderer because he drew first.  I had never heard of that one.  I assumed it was some sort of old Hollywood logic about the Wild West.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 11:36:52 PM »
Saw something going around on FB a while back.  Had a guy in black ski mask, black clothes, standing in what was a school hallway, holding an AK type rifle and his back was to you. It asked you what you would do first.

If your answer wasn't: "Shoot the bastard", you were wrong.  You aren't law enforcement.  This is isn't the old west.  You don't have to tell him to "Drop it".  He doesn't have to be facing you*.  He's a bad guy and needs to put down RFN !!!  You don;t have to worry about being "Honorable" or making it a "Fair Fight"*.   Kill the bad guy.  Don't speak, don't flinch, don't hesitate.  Kill the bad guy.

*- Unless his name is Simon Tam.
*- If you are in a fair fight, your tactics suck.  Also see the great Philosopher Jayne Cobb for further thoughts on a "Fair Fight".

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2017, 07:37:20 AM »
You misspelled "pity."

And you both misspelled "disgusted with"
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2017, 08:37:05 AM »
Saw something going around on FB a while back.  Had a guy in black ski mask, black clothes, standing in what was a school hallway, holding an AK type rifle and his back was to you. It asked you what you would do first.

If your answer wasn't: "Shoot the bastard", you were wrong.  You aren't law enforcement.  This is isn't the old west.  You don't have to tell him to "Drop it".  He doesn't have to be facing you*.  He's a bad guy and needs to put down RFN !!!  You don;t have to worry about being "Honorable" or making it a "Fair Fight"*.   Kill the bad guy.  Don't speak, don't flinch, don't hesitate.  Kill the bad guy.

There's a misconception among some people that a bad guy is only a threat if he's facing you, has a firearm, it's pointed at you, and he has fired.  Even if you're a cop, the law does not say any of that.  Even if the bad guy has his back to you, and even if you are a sworn cop, if you have a reasonable basis to believe that the bad guy presents an imminent threat to the lives and safety of others, it is legal to shoot the bad guy in the back.  Hell, a head shot would be good in Scout's/Amy's situation.  End it fast, no concerns about body armor.

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2017, 09:40:58 AM »

I'm not going to trash a man for trying to be a good person and trying to give the criminal a chance to get out of the situation alive. Most criminals statistically speaking are not looking for an extra felony murder charge.

It's a tough decision. Yes, the law correctly states you do not have to give a warning or let the guy draw on you. Large number of people are not bad people and have a problem executing people in a cold blooded manner. Even if it is the right thing to do.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2017, 11:10:47 AM »
I'm not going to trash a man for trying to be a good person and trying to give the criminal a chance to get out of the situation alive. Most criminals statistically speaking are not looking for an extra felony murder charge.

It's a tough decision. Yes, the law correctly states you do not have to give a warning or let the guy draw on you. Large number of people are not bad people and have a problem executing people in a cold blooded manner. Even if it is the right thing to do.

Is there some sort of study that actually backs that bolded part up?  I have heard similar comments before, but I think it is wrong.  I don't think most criminals think that far ahead and assume they won't be caught. 

If they brought a gun, you cannot assume they won't use it.  The only responsibility you have to be certain that is a bad guy. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2017, 02:12:48 PM »
Is there some sort of study that actually backs that bolded part up?  I have heard similar comments before, but I think it is wrong.  I don't think most criminals think that far ahead and assume they won't be caught. 

If they brought a gun, you cannot assume they won't use it.  The only responsibility you have to be certain that is a bad guy. 

Homicide    4.9
Forcible rape    38.6
Robbery    101.9
Aggravated assault    237.8
Total violent crime    372.6

Burglary    491.4
Larceny-theft    1,775.4
Motor vehicle theft    220.2
Total property crime    2487.0

Per 100k people, averaged from '96 to '15.

If people were intentionally seeking homicide as often as theft or robbery, homicide rate would be on par. Instead of averaging 1%. Number is even lower as some people commit homicide without other criminal intention. That said, if someone is threatening you or a third party with a firearm, a reasonable person can still believe they are very likely to use it.

http://edr.state.fl.us/Content/resource-demand/criminal-justice/reports/criminal-justice/cj25.pdf
(admittedly small sample, I can go find better if ya want.)
Murder looks like an average of 20-22 years in prison.
Robbery is 7-8 years in prison.
Burglary is 4 years.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.