Author Topic: 3 D printed ribeye steak  (Read 1803 times)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: 3 D printed ribeye steak
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2021, 07:44:18 PM »
As an aside, nearly all of the food we buy in grocery stores is kosher.

That's assuming it's allowed initially.
Nope. The specific animal may be considered clean yes, but not the preparation. Much the same way as your standard saltine cracker or pasta, while unleavened in the typical sense, isn't considered kosher unless appropriate guidelines and oversight are adhered to during preparation. It's not uncommon in heavily Jewish areas for nicer grocery stores to have separate kosher meat and seafood counters both for identification and to avoid contact that would invalidate the kosher certification. I've not lived in a heavily Muslim area, but I wouldn't be surprised to see similar for Halal in similar areas. 

I'll agree with what's already been said though, it'll largely come down to what sect one is a part of as well as personal belief. There is frankly a HUGE range as it is. I wouldn't be surprised if some more strict adherents didn't allow any lab grown meat as the animal wasn't slaughtered accordingly. Or if the original cells are collected post mortem, that it'd be acceptable so long as any donor animals were slaughtered appropriately.

And in keeping with the age old tradition of finding loopholes in religious laws, I wouldn't imagine it'd take long for someone to tweak some settings on the printer and using said kosher beef cells to print out something that looks and tastes like pork. Hello kosher bacon...
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2021, 08:06:07 PM »
Read the link and check the labels.

An incredible amount of food in your home, right now, is kosher.

Kosher is not just meat.

I bought packaged grain fed ground beef from Jewel/Albertsons. This afternoon I just looked and it is kosher, as is a bunch of stuff in the pantry.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2021, 05:58:29 AM »

That's still a bit of a theological and philosophical quandary, the Meat of Theseus if you will. *innuendo rimshot*

For the physiological aspect it simply goes "if it isn't a healthy substitute then you shouldn't be eating it, and if you are already not eating it then you don't have to even consider if it is kosher."

Hmmmm....true, but that's kind of dismissive of the theological question.  Bu it might indeed be brought up anyway in a discussion among religious leaders on the question.

What I was getting at was if that group had to settle on what was necessary to please their deity in regard to... let's say, the ersatz pork, what might the upshot be?

While there will undoubtedly be one who says, simply "No, in all cases," there will be others who will say "It depends."

After the dust settles and they're done rolling around in the mud and the blood and the Manischewitz and bandages are applied, what will the parameters of "It depends" be?

Terry
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 08:22:55 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2021, 06:04:01 AM »
The chicken will reign supreme on the menu.  :laugh:

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2021, 06:18:41 AM »
Yeah, OK, ha-ha. I prefer the beef. I have never seen pork on a banquet menu.  Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, just that I've never seen it.

I  guess I'm done with this one.  Artificial dead horses and all.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.